Notices
Scooby Sprint Championship / ScoobyLive The UK's fastest Scoobies, compete against the clock, and head to head.

My Day

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2007, 10:39 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Day

What a cracking day. I was in the blue-grey classic STi. Not done this kind of thing since I had an old 205 GTi. Looking at the other cars in the pits I thought my car might have been a little deficient - no uprated brakes, no uprated suspension, no front mount intercooler, no decat. Just a remap and uprated fuel pump really. But hey, at least it was the best colour. Must have been worth a few hundreths of a second

First thing I tried was the drag strip. Lots of fun and I think my car had just the right amount of power to get off the line really quickly without to much wheel spin. Best run of the day was 13.17secs (terminal of 103mph). I gave a few cars a run for their money - especially a few new age STis, which kind of made me feel proud of the old girl Clutch was not a problem and felt good all day (thanks API!). The trick was really the 1st to 2nd gear change and to get the power down as you lifted the clutch up quickly but smoothly. Best runs seemed to be when I could keep the torque up between 1st and 2nd gear changes.

Didn't try the handling circuit until late in the morning. Was a good little course that wasn't to heavy on the brakes, but I could feel the standard suspension was a bit soft for the track. Worked out that it was just best to leave the car in third once you got going. Best time was 42.50secs. Very proud of that as it put me reasonably high up (I think) even though the drag strip showed my car was down on power compared to most others. The car just tyre squeeled all the way round - brilliant - and felt like I was sideways most of the time. But sure it just looked normal to everyone else. Don't think I could have gone any faster with the standard suspension. Car was really predictable except for a bit of understeer which I didn't expect, but then I'd wellied it in to a corner way to fast. Highlight was my spin in the wet. Clouted a cone and got it stuck under the car. Thought I'd done some damage, but no, everything OK, so went round again

Did a final drag strip run in the wet, which was fun and finally got it to wheel spin. Strange feeling putting the car in to second when the car has moved forward no more than five foot!

Left just after three. Didn't have to put the car on a trailer (!) and just drove home like nothing had happened. Everything still worked just as if I'd driven to work like any other day - no new rattles, no dodgy clutch or smashed gears or blown engines. Though I've scrubbed quite a few mm off the tyres. All in all a great day. So all I can say is that anyone else with a standard (or near to standard) car thinking of having a go, then give it a shot. Much fun to be had. Roll on next year.

Have lots of pics and videos, will put them up tomorrow.

Last edited by James Neill; 27 May 2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 28 May 2007, 12:38 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Default Was This You?

I think I remember you splitting a hose last year and had to buy a replacement???

Ant
Old 28 May 2007, 12:55 PM
John WRX
Scooby Regular

nope, that was me mate. Lost a top hose before the noise test and had to buy the whole bloody samco kit to get what i needed.
Old 28 May 2007, 02:06 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

This was me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00830.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	719  
Old 28 May 2007, 02:11 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas

I think I remember you splitting a hose last year and had to buy a replacement???

Ant
That was JOHN WRX, he had my other half's wheel (JenniP1)on the front, hence the P1 with the odd wheel in the pits.

Adam
Old 28 May 2007, 02:17 PM
morto15
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John WRX
nope, that was me mate. Lost a top hose before the noise test and had to buy the whole bloody samco kit to get what i needed.
i thought i had a rough deal when i had to buy 5 litres of millers gearbox oil £40 for about 1/4 litre needed, not only that they weigh a ton thats why my 1/4 mile times were down i had to keep the rest in the boot