Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

My HYDROtek project

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2013, 08:08 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My HYDROtek project

Ok peeps as a few if you might know am planning on turning my bugeye into some sort of a show car to showcase hydro dipping .....it's only right I have a car with a few dipped parts to preach wot am preaching as of yet I haven't dipped 1 part off my own car........but with that been said its all to change.......going to try and get it somewhere near for the NBO but I've a feeling I could be messing on with this for sometime to get it exactly the way I want, there is a big part of me that wants it kept on the subtle side and not loud with graphics and bright colours so am going down the subtle road first to see how it turns out.......how many days to the NBO? Wish me luck lol....

Ok a few pictures to bring you upto date....

How you all know it stood...

As of late my mods to the car was down the power road but setting up in customisation it's been a long time calling in some serious styling mods........my plans to keep it subtle but to give it a edge led me to buy this kit....

WRC wide arch kit from ABW......the plans with this is to not go the full rally rep.....going to stick with my prodrive bumper and have the rear arches smoothed in and not having that proud line like on the WRC cars....

So it been a ABW kit I thought it was only fair that Daren and his boys down in Essex at ABW fit it and do it justice......also with it been my car of many years I want it fitted spot on......just over two wks ago Daren made the journey and picked the car and kit up....

Not a lot I can do till the car is back......also waiting on some new wheels as am hoping to colour match them and try a few dipped effects to suit.....

So For now I've got a few parts I might try something or another with.....still kind of unsure till I get the wheels and see wot the colour match testers turn out like....

Few ideas floating about with this which might turn out to be some sort of demo boot lid...

First job was to de badge the grill......was abit unsure about cutting into 1 of these JDM grills but once cut n smoothed happy I did

Also I've had this prodrive diff guard for ages and once I fitted the hawk diffuser had the problem of it not been on show (not that they are) but it would sit directly behind......so it been a r160 diff guard I needed new brackets making , doing that I also had them made longer to drop the guard to exhaust level...

Abit of a polish and paint to finish it off.....

To be continued........

Last edited by X70cky; 12 May 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 13 May 2013, 08:36 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 weeks on Sunday to the NBO
So you had better be quick
Was at a jdm meet last week and talking to a lad with a celica with the magic Locky treatment
I was hoping to get my manifold and cam cover done in time for the NBO 11 but have just too many projects on at the moment

Like that candy gold manifold you did too for another car
Old 13 May 2013, 10:05 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the arches and stock bumpers. Something I've always fancied.
Old 13 May 2013, 05:23 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Yeh John Steven has a well looked after celica and it was your candy green that got his attention mate .......yes I've got a very busy 6 wks and a few late nights I reckon but I will try my best that's for sure......manifolds are something else mate 8-)

Yeh frayz am looking forward to seeing it also......I've seen a blob with stock bumper and wide arches but not a bug with the prodrive
Old 16 May 2013, 06:24 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Things moving on this wk on the project.....my new wheels have made the uk so will have them in my hands next wk to start colour matching a few parts and test dip to see the out come of my ideas.......here is hoping it will work well.....

Also been kept upto date of Daren at ABW on the kit fit and it's all going to plan.....stock bumper and the wider arches are fitting together no bother.....at first was thinking there would be a step from the line of the arch to where it meets the bumper but all ok .....few pictures to bring it upto date also .....

That rear wheel looks like a space saver there and even the door in its filler primer finish looks like a work of art......long way to go but am well pleased on the progress so far ;0)

To be continued......
Old 16 May 2013, 06:26 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

what wheels are on the car in the top pic?? I like them
Old 16 May 2013, 06:42 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Oz ultraleggera's mate.....I had them up for sale a month ago on here too.....
Old 16 May 2013, 10:15 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wow this project looks amazing
Old 17 May 2013, 07:35 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Today I thought I'd test dip a few of the patterns am thinking of using......the base colour it's self will be different and also going to add a pearl to the finish.....but it's just a sneak peak ;0) hit or miss? Wot you think?

Stay tuned .....
Old 17 May 2013, 07:49 PM
stvscooby
Scooby Regular

like that smokey one m8
Old 17 May 2013, 08:16 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stvscooby
like that smokey one m8
Yeh it does look smokey in that finish but it's a fire pattern, will come alive with a different base colour
Old 21 May 2013, 09:45 AM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

So finally the new wheels made the uk......time for me to put a few ideas together try a colour match and a carbon effect see how it works......going subtle on the outside of the car to start I think.......

For now the new wheels tho finished in a flat bronze....

Old 02 June 2013, 12:28 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Ok the car is due back to me of Tuesday this wk so it's time to put a few ideas to the test......I've had abit mess on and maybe go with the ideas or not.....also working out the colours and patterns to use......

First up a colour carbon match to the alloys....

It works well in the matte finish but when it's done in a high gloss it's just quite not right

The ideas are for a coating to the brembos and hopefully other parts on and around the car....

So the toned down effect a little darker I think looks better with the colour contrast...

Also placed behind the wheel to gauge off.....done like this and a loud colour brembo sticker could be the way I go.....subtle but noticeable ....

The plan when I get the car back is to strip the engine bay and start on a few things under the bonnet.....along with brembos off.....diffuser.....try a demo boot lid....head lights and if I've the time the interior dash....

Also had a few pictures sent over from Daren at ABW of the car, no doubt it's back together and will be ready to go from tomorrow but these were took while work was in progress...

Hats off to the lads at ABW all I need to do now is compliment there work with my coatings ;0)

Stay tuned........
Old 04 June 2013, 02:02 PM
kevfawcett
Scooby Regular

Looking good mate, and I like your idea with the brakes. What colour you thinking for the Brembo stickers?
Old 04 June 2013, 07:42 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kevfawcett
Looking good mate, and I like your idea with the brakes. What colour you thinking for the Brembo stickers?
Am hoping to match them to the engine bay colours which am still undecided at the mo......few more test dips this wk and I should be set
Old 04 June 2013, 07:45 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Can't wait to see these arches on. What I've always fancied doing
Old 04 June 2013, 07:54 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed and looking a forward to seeing more... Great work so far

Martin
Old 04 June 2013, 07:57 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

looks really good matey,well done. quick question..............is your front mount mounted upside down?
Old 04 June 2013, 08:11 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

I get the car back tomorrow frazy so will get some pictures up of the arches with the stock bumper mate

Shreksta it's a Perrin fmic that the way they fit mate they a awesome bit of kit with the fitment of the pipes
Old 04 June 2013, 08:17 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Just noticed nice choice of wheels mate

Was going to ask you if you wanted to part with your front bumper

Martin
Old 04 June 2013, 08:22 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Martin am sticking with the prodrive bumper mate.....I've sold the WRC 1 back to Daren at ABW.........yeh the wheels have the look I was after I was gutted to sell the OZ's
Old 04 June 2013, 08:27 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to seeing this at the NBO 11
Old 04 June 2013, 08:42 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by X70cky
Martin am sticking with the prodrive bumper mate.....I've sold the WRC 1 back to Daren at ABW.........yeh the wheels have the look I was after I was gutted to sell the OZ's
Not to worry buddy the search continues looking forward to seeing how it comes back mate. Sure it'll look awsome

Martin
Old 06 June 2013, 06:43 AM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Ok quick early morning update......I took delivery of the car yesterday and when Daren from ABW pulled up I thought WOW! The finish the on the kit fit is awesome....the lines the paint job I couldn't of been more happier :0) few pictures for you guys ......

The work that's gone into this is second to none and cannot thank Daren and his lads enough also for the collection and delivery of the car as am based in the northeast and Essex ain't a stone throw away........so it's mission hydrotek now and fitting of a few parts......looking forward to see it coming together over the next few wks and any1 going to the NBO I will see you there complete .....3 wks and 3 days I best get a move on

Stay tuned.......
Old 06 June 2013, 06:54 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Looks great.
So tempted
Old 06 June 2013, 03:13 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Excellent mate looks the danglies what width wheels you going with?

Martin
Old 06 June 2013, 05:50 PM
X70cky
Scooby Regular

Martin I've had a test fit of the wheels well wheel today....they 9.75 ......they fit perfect not to far in not to far out so hopefully no rubbing but its still to go a touch lower yet .....

Also had a change of heart on the carbon I wanted to use and went back to a old pattern but changed the base colours.......tried a base black then a couple of coats of pear tinted with silver.....black weave and finished in high gloss....

IMO this is going to work around the car better with another colour and effect......only 1 thing left for it.....strip n dip

Stay tuned peeps.....
Old 06 June 2013, 07:05 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Wheels look great and fit looks perfect in those arches mate. Good work u like the carbon

Martin
Old 06 June 2013, 08:24 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

That looks stunning mate. Looks so aggressive, good choice of wheels too.
Old 06 June 2013, 08:42 PM
williams.84
Scooby Regular

Looks so nice mate I'd love the wrc kit for mine. I've seen your work on a few bits for the scooby and they look great cant wait to see what you do with the rest of the car :-)

Quick Reply: My HYDROtek project