White type R project

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2012, 10:10 PM
lewisredfern001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White type R project

Gents,

I have been on the lookout for a long term project and picked this up last Thursday AM, Any words of wisdom to such a car from people who have owned or been involved with Subaru Impreza’s will be appreciated and noted.

I found out about it from the granddads grandson who put up a very very poor facebook advert reading ‘subaru impreza with no engine for sale’ and a front on picture of a sorry looking white impreza. It was local so went and had a look out of interest. To my surprise it was a type R!

The vehicle in question is a 1997 P reg Subaru impreza Sti Type-r, 101,000 miles and is white

It has had 1 UK owner since being imported; an elderly gent in his 50’s now.

The Spec is:
Full engine rebuild with apparent ‘forged motorsport pistons’ in the last few years
New turbo at the time
Haward and Scott up pipe and full system but group N back box
Fully adjustable Leda coilovers recently tracked at sumo power for fast road use
Brand new hankook evo tyres x 4
17 inch black alloys (horrid)
HKS dump valve and K&N filter
Momo wheel and boss
RCM uprated oil pump
Lightened and balanced flywheel
Large bonnet vent?
Mot history is showing me in 2006 it had 84,957 miles – 2012 is has 101,516
So in 6 years it only covered 16,000 miles

The guy doesn’t know too much about it but all the above work was carried out in his granddads ownership, I’m going to do some digging about who built it and who mapped it etc but the problem he has said the bottom end has failed and its going to cost him too much to repair, Hence the sale. (he’s 19 and has mini project and a 172 incidentally)

Now something is a little fishy about this, as if you know Imprezas, you know the oil pumps packs up, so surely if you’re forging it you fit an up rated pump at the same time? Well he has told me without me questioning it, that a roger clark pump was fitted when rebuilt and has some sort of motorsport forged pistons fitted. But this doesn’t bother me too much. The engine is currently removed, included in the sale and it’s cheap. Oh and I did spot the clutch was looking a little sorry for itself.

The body work is 8/10, just needs a good detail and it’ll look great.

I have no time scales to get this done by but next summer would be awesome, am I mad? At the money its being offered for I’m tempted to get the engine checked and built by an engineering shop as opposed to doing it myself.

More pics to come when I’ve started work

Just found an advert for the car!!!

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/misc...ti-type-r.html

Over the last week I’ve had a spare few hours in between so made a start on things.

As you already know the engine is out awaiting a strip down, this won’t happen for a few weeks yet so I started on the stripped interior. I figured while it was out id give it all a good clean up.

With the parts removed i also took out the hideous steering wheel, Within an hour it was sold via facebook for £30, and a new wheel ordered.

Yesterday on my lunch break I took all of the nuts, bolts, screws, trim clips etc which came in a box with the car, and set about sorting them into some type of order.

Today I had a spare couple of hours before work so decided I would clean the car as it was filthy, with oily hand prints and crap all over it.

Really undecided if i like the wheels, Currently black with a rainbow glittery lacquer, maybe I would like them in a different colour? Will have to do a Photoshop to see if I can live with them

Like I say it was a quick once over, snow foamed and a bucket n mitt full of auto finesse lather. Will have the full works before chrimbo.

Just when I finished up the postie knocked and delivered my new wheel

I love it, it was only £33 delivered and I feel a bargain, I don’t expect the suede to last very long but is a 100% improvement.

Also my friend is breaking his civic so I purchased the following for half RRP and it’s pretty much new

Also decided that i hate the front grille, I can only think it’s a dodgy fitting aftermarket type as it doesn’t look like anything I can find online.

A standard V3-5 one came up on ebay in colour last night on a buy it now, so I snapped that up, along with a full set of crystal front lights.

All I need to find now is a high level spoiler and V4-5 front bumper.

Myself and my partner of 8 years have decided that next year will see us get married, so I’ve booked and paid deposits on stuff all this week, unfortunately the £1000-1500 I wanted to spend on the engine will now have to wait.

I still plan to check if my engine has the forged pistons as promised, if it has I may just purchase a ready running engine and put that in, then rebuild mine as I really would like to be on the road early next year. The same V3 one sold last week for £350 with receipts and recent service incl cambelt, I wished I had just bought it.
Old 15 November 2012, 03:03 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Looks good mate, I'm in the same boat having just bought a v4 white type r.
Old 15 November 2012, 07:12 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That bonnet scoop really doesn't suit a classic.

Reasonably priced OEM one on the bay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item23251c6bd9

Good luck with the project.
Old 15 November 2012, 07:21 PM
stanny_wrx
Scooby Regular

Looking like a lovely buy mate definitely agree with the front bumper though looks a bit odd so glad you sold the steering wheel as well lol that was hideous really looking forward to watching this progress and good luck
Old 15 November 2012, 08:18 PM
scooby1982
Scooby Regular

Also as above have a white type r what currently been working on for last 6 months on and off lovely car mate hope all goes well
Old 16 November 2012, 01:05 AM
lewisredfern001
Scooby Regular

cheers guys,

im not sure on the vent as its not stood out. i havent really payed too much attention to it as whenever i look at the front end the lights, grille and front bumper distract me from it. Maybe when theyre done the vent maybe too much.
Old 20 November 2012, 09:47 PM
lewisredfern001
Scooby Regular

so on sunday i had a look round my engine - the pressure relief valve was stuck solid in the oil pump. Meaning bottom end failure i can only assume

but after a peak through the spark plug holes with a boroscope I found some mahle forged pistons. So I'm over the moon.

However, i am definitely selling this engine now as i dont see myself going for big power, i would like to purchase a standard sti engine and get it running and enjoy the car. then look at sensible power upgrades if i decide shes a keeper

im really loving the looks and just want to drive it!!!

a little purchase today off a friend as hes breaking his civic turbo project
genuine defis, and tonight i have ordered a link controller

Old 21 November 2012, 01:11 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Very very nice looking car, infact it looks alittle like my V3 STI when I first bought it with the ugly scoop but mine is a 4 door,,,, though my plate is P663OKO which is a bit spooky
Old 21 November 2012, 01:21 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Old 21 November 2012, 04:09 AM
flthyrich
Scooby Newbie

I like the scoop! (I have one on mine)
Old 21 November 2012, 05:42 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lewisredfern001
However, i am definitely selling this engine now as i dont see myself going for big power, i would like to purchase a standard sti engine and get it running and enjoy the car. then look at sensible power upgrades if i decide shes a keeper
I may be able to help you out there in the new year especially as you aren't far from me .
Old 01 March 2014, 11:03 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Its now been 14 months since I bought this car from Lewis and its now road worthy and 95% complete and back to standard. I wanted to take the car back to standard and I now have every standard part for it.

Its had a full engine, a complete repaint, interior recovered, rear 2 pot brake conversion, ESL ecu and I have de-pinked the stickers and gone all black.

Here is a quick pic of her today. Just wanted to show that she hasn't gone to the grave yard just yet!

Old 02 March 2014, 01:54 AM
bpi
Scooby Newbie

Just lovely, cant beat them standard with a nice set of wheels and lowered! Top Job!
Cheers Ben
Old 02 March 2014, 06:41 AM
Crowman
Scooby Regular

Very nicely done , wheels suit it well .
Old 02 March 2014, 07:56 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Stunning mate, Think more and more classics are getting restored back to standard, and to be fair it looks better for it!!
Old 02 March 2014, 10:33 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm hopefully keeping this for a very long time so even though not everything is standard now, I can return it that way with the parts I have. I just couldn't cope with the version 3 rear brakes!
Old 02 March 2014, 01:33 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfection!
Old 03 March 2014, 11:41 AM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

That looks fantastic Wayne, that should be the benchmark for classic Imprezas.