Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

PG Tips: Non Turbo and Proud Project

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2012, 09:34 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PG Tips: Non Turbo and Proud Project

Yes i know this little scooby is shameful compared to others on here but heck im only 19 (and do literally everything myself) so i cant do magic with insurance

This project is really the first car that ive set to handle well after trawling for hours on end through the suspension section of this forum, and i have my other baby to urge any suspension demons into (see last image)

But yes here is the current spec and i hope to keep her going at a fair pace

Current spec:
Exterior
- Prodrive 18 7.5J Wheels
- Sti Alloy Bonnet
- Wrx Scoop
- Wrx Front Grille
- De-tango'd and Black lights
- Sti Covers and spats
- Delocked rear boot
- 6k Hid's and LED's all round

Interior
- Wrx Interior

Handling
- WRX rear anti roll bar (slightly thicker than the JDM sti I own too)
- Adjustable rear track arms (with roughly 1.5 to 1.75 degrees of camber, toe in to do)
- Sti Alloy Arms/Subframe (with free caster mod + spacer plate)

Brakes
- Red Stuff Rear Pads

Engine
- Quick Shift
- Afterburner rear silencer
- Silencer and second cat removed

Plans?
- Sti front brembo calipers/master cylinder
- BC or K-sport Coilovers
- White Line Bump/Rebound Joints
- Whiteline Droplinks
- Strip and paint all subframes
- Under braces
- Braided lines
- XXR 527 wheels Et25 9j
- Sti outer goodies

Pictures:

After fitting the adjustable arms, caster mod and rear roll bar:
(Excuse the rear bumper )

And my main pride and joy....
Old 10 September 2012, 07:29 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Nice car for 19!

What's happening with the pug then?
Old 11 September 2012, 03:37 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

pointless imo...could be running a 182 or similar which would be far more fun.
Old 13 September 2012, 09:07 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
pointless imo...could be running a 182 or similar which would be far more fun.
Pointless when you have no intrest in clios and hate them with a vegance?

Yeh properly pointless

The little 206 im casually rebuilding the TU3JP (1.4 8v) to cope with the stress of a T2/T25 or something similar and hopefully aim for 200 mark with the V4 Mtec ECU

(aswell as smoothing the bay, new wheels, wire tuck, one off engine loom, custom interior yada yada yada....)
Old 14 September 2012, 09:01 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Addaz_206
Pointless when you have no intrest in clios and hate them with a vegance?

Yeh properly pointless
I'm approaching this from a driving experience perspective nothing else; NA imprezas are no fun to drive...looks are secondary for me which is why I have an esate and a stupid yellow Clio. 182 is easily one of the most fun cars I've ever driven hence my suggestion
Old 14 September 2012, 11:57 AM
wrxolly
Scooby Regular

i have a na blob scooby and love it,id rather have one than a turbo its all about the looks for me,ive had turbos and sick of paying daft amounts on insurance and fuel but i love scoobies so went with the non turbo

nice blobeye mate tho
Old 14 September 2012, 12:18 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice looking ride dude.
Old 14 September 2012, 12:25 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrxolly
i have a na blob scooby and love it,id rather have one than a turbo its all about the looks for me,ive had turbos and sick of paying daft amounts on insurance and fuel but i love scoobies so went with the non turbo

nice blobeye mate tho
lol
Old 14 September 2012, 01:20 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say that looks pretty great!
Old 14 September 2012, 07:46 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

I'm approaching this from a driving experience perspective nothing else; NA imprezas are no fun to drive...looks are secondary for me which is why I have an esate and a stupid yellow Clio. 182 is easily one of the most fun cars I've ever driven hence my suggestion
And im also approching my choice through experience. Yes it doesnt set the world a ray with fire or rainbows, but nor does a 200thp 12 plate RCZ, or a 508 163 diesel, but when you are doing ni on 20 to 30k miles a year i would rather be in a better built japanese vehicle than a french car

Ive driven enough french cars to compensate for the majority of people in my town. Built to a budget. End of mate (sorry)

And also to add if i want to 'drive' i will just use the familys 205 which has a specification longer than my enthusiam to type (on a track)

Tbh though i could have more fun in a tiny 107/C1/Aygo than any other car on the road, 1.0 power its by far the most amusing/smiles per gallon ive ever driven

Another note, both vehicles being roughly around the same cubic capacity would average about the same fuel economy, but the main point is insurance, i pay a mear £1400 fully comp rather than £2k plus.

So yeh, still want to convince me my cars pointless?
Old 16 September 2012, 11:11 AM
mark type ra
Scooby Regular

Well said fella, Nice blob by the way
Old 16 September 2012, 11:31 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Nice looking car mate.

Always remember if you post stuff like this you will always get opinions - good and bad. We all have to drive within our budgets, some people just have a job realising that.
Just ask them what they had at 19
Old 16 September 2012, 07:54 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the positive feed back everyone

Will hopefully be getting to play with her on our four wheel allignment system we now have at work for the peugeot bipper re-call, and get my rear camber/toe spot on
Old 17 September 2012, 10:33 AM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

Do you find the mods bump your price up much at age 19?
Old 17 September 2012, 09:47 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skyinsurance
Do you find the mods bump your price up much at age 19?
Depends on the insurance company. As my this one and my previous doesnt really increase it massively.
Believe it or not TPFT for the 206 (every modification declared including turbocharging, modified rear axle and £800 worth of wheels) is only a mear £1900.
Limited mileage though, but still dirt cheap
Old 19 September 2012, 01:29 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

And im also approching my choice through experience. Yes it doesnt set the world a ray with fire or rainbows, but nor does a 200thp 12 plate RCZ, or a 508 163 diesel, but when you are doing ni on 20 to 30k miles a year i would rather be in a better built japanese vehicle than a french car

Ive driven enough french cars to compensate for the majority of people in my town. Built to a budget. End of mate (sorry)

And also to add if i want to 'drive' i will just use the familys 205 which has a specification longer than my enthusiam to type (on a track)

Tbh though i could have more fun in a tiny 107/C1/Aygo than any other car on the road, 1.0 power its by far the most amusing/smiles per gallon ive ever driven

Another note, both vehicles being roughly around the same cubic capacity would average about the same fuel economy, but the main point is insurance, i pay a mear £1400 fully comp rather than £2k plus.

So yeh, still want to convince me my cars pointless?
...I struggle to see the point in spending all the time and effort making a pretend turbo; the whole ethos of these cars is performance not pose; they ain't pretty after all Concede the mileage point entirely though...I commute so my cars are toys and mileage\running costs are not something I have to consider.

LMAO at the comment about the 205 track car; 182 is the closest thing to a contemporary 205 there is...I've owned both. You can't beat track days for ultimate driving fun but you are missing out on those early morning B road blasts...

For me, yes it is still pointless but we are clearly looking at this from polar opposite ends...I don't comment of these types of threads because I'm not normally into pissing on peoples parade but I was bored at work, so you have my apology for that. To be fair I didn't say your cars were pointless just the pretend wrx; the 206 sounds like a lot of fun
Old 19 September 2012, 08:54 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

...I struggle to see the point in spending all the time and effort making a pretend turbo; the whole ethos of these cars is performance not pose; they ain't pretty after all Concede the mileage point entirely though...I commute so my cars are toys and mileage\running costs are not something I have to consider.

LMAO at the comment about the 205 track car; 182 is the closest thing to a contemporary 205 there is...I've owned both. You can't beat track days for ultimate driving fun but you are missing out on those early morning B road blasts...

For me, yes it is still pointless but we are clearly looking at this from polar opposite ends...I don't comment of these types of threads because I'm not normally into pissing on peoples parade but I was bored at work, so you have my apology for that. To be fair I didn't say your cars were pointless just the pretend wrx; the 206 sounds like a lot of fun
Once again we differ, the 206 IS pointless. Complete waste of money to prance about in to shows, absolutely no point for exsistance on this planet and the only reason im doing is because of two small reasons.
I love her to bits
Im slightly retarded

Its fair plan to have rants bud, as i do hate coming home, after starting work at 6am to work on side jobs till 9ish at night and then to help diagnose cars on 206info

But yes side note, it doesnt matter if you have 1 trillion BHP you can only take 'that' B road corner at a certain speed, so even with my mind blowing 125bhp theres no reason why i cant take it faster round the bend than a standard WRX
Old 20 September 2012, 12:52 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Once again we differ, the 206 IS pointless. Complete waste of money to prance about in to shows, absolutely no point for exsistance on this planet and the only reason im doing is because of two small reasons.
I love her to bits
Im slightly retarded

Its fair plan to have rants bud, as i do hate coming home, after starting work at 6am to work on side jobs till 9ish at night and then to help diagnose cars on 206info

But yes side note, it doesnt matter if you have 1 trillion BHP you can only take 'that' B road corner at a certain speed, so even with my mind blowing 125bhp theres no reason why i cant take it faster round the bend than a standard WRX
You want a good example of why its a bad idea to modify cars look at my project thread

Yeah but try going sidways round the same corner (safely of course ), in a fat *** New Age with 125bhp...what you need is DCCD and some more touques
Old 20 September 2012, 01:02 PM
billyrogers
Scooby Regular

wont be long till you can insure 1 mate
im 23 and have had a few cars now
at 20 i had a BMW E46 320CD M sport running 180bhp
at 21 a TT 225 running 260bhp
at 22 i had an Audi S4 4.2 v8 340 bhp
and now im 23 with an STI PPP running 325 bhp

it does help that i live in top of scotland now. insurance is £800 fully comp
Old 20 September 2012, 01:21 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

I'm also one of the opinion it is pointless, but that only relates to my values. If it were me I would have saved the money and got something more fun- but you're not me and what matters to you doesn't matter to me

I had my first MR2 GT Turbo when I was 19, skinned me £2500 and then £1900 on insurance but was great fun to drive until I could afford to buy and insure something more "grown up"

I'm an ugly ******* so doesn't matter how good my car looks- it's all about the driving for me.
Old 20 September 2012, 10:37 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done and good luck with the car...

Screw all the naysayers. He's 19.

That's like tutting at learner drivers for being in your way.

Show some support, this guy could be working on your car in 10 years!!
Old 21 September 2012, 02:01 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

Fairplay mate
Old 21 September 2012, 07:44 AM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

Nice Scooby m8 at the end of the day turbo or not it's a Subaru and this is a Subaru forum isn't it?? Ur
Young so when u get abit older u will have a turbo well if u wanted one that is . It's ur money so do what u want with it your on the rite track m8 keep at it the 206 will be fun aswell
Old 21 September 2012, 07:05 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

I dont mind what replies i get, i can take a bit of banter, but sorry if i banter back though

Dont get me wrong i will keep on with the 206 but the funds is just rock bottom at the moment (current estimate for completion to on road is another 6k). And yes you never know, i could be working on scoobies one day too as even though im just a mear apprentice ive been tipped for the apprentice of the year (national in PSA) in which you become fast tracked to master tech (aim for now).
But my dream job would be to work for some where like Torque Developments, we can all wish cant we?
Old 21 September 2012, 07:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the nomination Addaz thats quite an achievement
Old 21 September 2012, 09:41 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the nomination Addaz thats quite an achievement
Thanks mate, i try my hardest in my job/training as cars is my passion so i might as well try and make something of it

Last edited by Addaz_206; 21 September 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 22 September 2012, 07:12 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, i try my hardest in my job/training as cars is my passion so i might as well try and make something of it
You will succeed then
Old 26 November 2012, 09:20 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

Well bit of an update for once, i will get some photos of the wheel refurb sometime....

Set the geometry on her, was advised to go for toe out on the front and toe in on the rear. Followed the advice and the rear felt so much more planted but i suffer with understeer (as seen in another thread, any help appreciated btw)

I will hopefully making a few braces emphasing on the weaker points on the chassis (subject to research and common sense) to make the GX shell that little bit stabler

Pics of setup on Rav4:

Old 28 November 2012, 10:47 AM
craigj99
Scooby Regular

ive got a na hawkeye , i could of got a turbo but would cost me more to run and the roads i drive on a day to day basis i would end up killing myself in a turbo , im doing a few bits and pieces to it looks wise but im not planning to make it look like a turbo , each to their own end of the day , and compared to my last car a na scooby is quick enough for me and its such a brilliant car turbo or not
Old 29 November 2012, 08:17 PM
Ludford
Scooby Regular

Not many people have a car this new at 19. Nice.

Quick Reply: PG Tips: Non Turbo and Proud Project