Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

10 second WR1 road car.

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2010, 01:01 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 second WR1 road car.

Finally I've got some time to put together some sort of write up for Jag's project, to combine my input with that of Chy@Pennine Subaru who did the bulk of the mechanical work, Pat@Syvecs who provided the pre-build technical input, Mark@Lateral who provided many of the engine build components and of course Jag himself who provided not only the car, but also the funding and the targets for the project.

Without wishing to spoil it I would like to say that so far I think the project has met all it's goals, including those on the drag strip, and it has backed up what as been done on the dyno. Given that this is a daily driver, and a full weight car, not a "made to look full weight" but a genuine factory spec car with all it's original seats, 18" wheels, road tyres, functioning air/con, full electics, stereo, boot spoiler and a genuine everyday car, indeed the owners only car!

Further updates as I collate the info and get it written which will be later today to start with!
Old 20 September 2010, 02:51 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Okay some brief history....

In 2008 Jag has his WR1 modified with the help of Scoobyclinic using a bolt on turbo, FMIC, headers and Solaris S6GP ECU, makes about 380-400hp. Then Jag wants more so sets his sights on an getting his WR1 into the 11s on the drag strip, a few iterations of spec later and the target hos come on just a little, and the spec has come on a long way to match!

The basics targets are 550hp + on pump fuel, sub 11 second 1/4 with X amount of money to make it happen. The basics of the spec end up as a very nice 2.35 engine still using the AVCS head setup, sorted heads and cams and a rotated GT35 turbo which should easily see 550hp at the flywheel on pump fuel, with plenty more available with race fuel.

Fastforward nearly 18 months and the car is a runner with further developments on the spec, and a lot of hard work from Chy at Pennine Subaru to create a truly one off engine bay.

Name:  20072010022.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.5 KB

With some running in miles under it's belt the car makes it back home with Jag and then ultimately to Zen Performance to take it's first step from a car with a built engine, to actually being a fast car!

Low boost mapping immediately after an oil change onto the Motul Oil from Alyn at AS Performance. With no proper wastegate plumbing as yet, we are restricted to wastegate pressure and the result is about 440hp at 1.3 bar, which is plenty for Jag to be getting on with after cruising round in Chy's tired old Forrester!

The following week we start the mapping in earnest now, after sorting the wastegate plumbing a little better, fixing the cal switch and tidying up a few odds and ends, it goes on the dyno to be pushed for the first time. Initial mapping still on low boost, but pushing the fuelling and timing a little more gives 477hp at 1.3 bar as shown below:

Further mapping leads into problems as we start to stress the intercooler pipes which had been made from preformed alumnium bends and finished with a fancy Wiggins coupling. Starting like this:

After some runs at close to 2 bar, the bends had begun to "unbend" themselves and the wiggins flange was forceably ripped off the throttle body, but after some time spend with some epoxy putty and some silicone hose we were back and ready to actually do some meaning full mapping at around the 2 bar mark. The first set of results look like this:

Now I think this is a perfectly acceptable result for a GT35 on pump fuel and in line with what we would expect. But still came the request from Jag "can you get any more?". I was tempted to just say no but it doesn't hurt to try these things!

The problem though was how to get more power from something that is already on the verge of detonation and with appropriate fuelling. So more boost was tried but to no avail, it just resulted in further retarded timing. At this sort of power level it becomes quite difficult to try and ramp in additional ignition timing, as to make a worth while increase in power, you need a reasonable chunk of timing and it might just as easily wreck the motor as find some power.
Old 20 September 2010, 03:04 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

very interesting guys...
Old 20 September 2010, 03:48 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Looking at the mapping in more detailI have some logs to show.

First of all lets look at a log of the 566hp run (or there abouts), ignition timing is the very choppy red trace. It's choppy because there are already quite big cylinder trims mapped into it. Lambda is related to rear lambda voltage BTW so means nothing as far as actual AFR goes.

Then working some "on the fly" ignition trims we get to 583hp with a log like this:

Then after some fiddling of the actual map, we get a clean run at 603 with no intervention during the run. The keen eyed will see the obvious difference, and it's not rocket science, but trying to do this in a manner that doesn't risk the engine is not so easy.

And the resulting power graphs.

Old 20 September 2010, 04:49 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

fantastic work from everyone involved

i know it was a long time coming for jp and am so happy he has reached his goal and a fantastic time last saturday at the pod

cant wait to see it next month if he goes ahead with the planned outing

it's certainly a one of a kind car that will take a while to be matched
Old 20 September 2010, 05:46 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some fantastic results there and a credit to everyone involved in the making of jags car

Old 20 September 2010, 06:14 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice write up ;-)

Full weight car too, I bet thats awesome to drive both track and road.
Old 20 September 2010, 09:34 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Great result.

Out of interest, what would be a guesstimate of cost starting from scratch to get to this point? Just so I know if I should keep thinking "one day" or give up on the dream lol.
Old 20 September 2010, 09:50 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V4JDMSTi
Great result.

Out of interest, what would be a guesstimate of cost starting from scratch to get to this point? Just so I know if I should keep thinking "one day" or give up on the dream lol.
I was thinking the same thing, but then you read some project threads who spend 25k on a reliable 550bhp build and think jesus.....

Then you get cars that sell for pittance once the money has been spent which is worrying: https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...bhp-scoob.html

Obviously you are very unlikely to get a good return for your money spent on high mods, but I would sooner buy a full high spec car for £15k than spend £20k on a car already worth 10K prior to mods being installed... All depends on preferences and budget i suppose. Im still dreaming pal lol, although Im looking for a new bottom end .
Old 20 September 2010, 10:01 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

That’s good value if you can get a reliable 550 for 25k. looks dam good, think you will have another 2.35 to map soon when olly gets her done
Old 20 September 2010, 10:03 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You would have to spend alot more than £20k unless you did a lot of work yourself and bought a lot of 2nd hand parts
Old 20 September 2010, 10:09 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
You would have to spend alot more than £20k unless you did a lot of work yourself and bought a lot of 2nd hand parts

Yes maybe so, and im no expert, but £10k can get you a good canvass car. And I was refering to 2nd hand parts too.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Subaru-EJ20-WR...item41520e9fc3
Old 20 September 2010, 10:29 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

are you taking it to sso then so we can see it do a 10 second quarter?
Old 20 September 2010, 10:42 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

If you think building a car and at first getting the big figures you are looking for initially is hard (which is never straight forward).... keeping it reliable whilst (ab)using it and then realising that what you have spent is just the beginning! That's the hard bit!!

A lot of people just don't realise how much all of this costs in reality, in both hard cash and stress.

Some things are best left as a "dream" if you ask me!
Old 20 September 2010, 11:06 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Thanks chaps for the positive comments. It's been a long time coming....so long that some thought I was making it up! A local "Terzo" owner even claimed "what's so special about that wr1".... lol!

Originally Posted by V4JDMSTi
Great result.

Well mine had a good 400bhp foundation already i.e. fmic, solaris ecu etc. Even with that it's certainly not cheap depending on whether you get second hand parts or new ones, and then its the quality of those parts. Building the engine is one thing but you will need supporting parts i.e. suspension, hoses, turbo etc......

I could have always sold mine as 400 and purchased a 600+ already built, but that would not have had what I personally wanted....a road car with full interior, air con which would be brutally fast but at the same time reliable. So far I stand by my decision on what I have done. Its been a pain in the rear but ask anyone who has had a 600+ project.....

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
That’s good value if you can get a reliable 550 for 25k. looks dam good, think you will have another 2.35 to map soon when olly gets her done
Good choice...you will join Mad Hammer and me as another 2.35 customer for Paul! And if I am correct, there is another 2.35 lined up for Paul to map down the road. Paul had tweaked mine when it was running 400 and I was very happy with it. For me its very convenient to have a mapper who owns a rolling road and can offer me plenty of advice from engine to mapping, and who goes out of his way to really go that extra mile!

Originally Posted by wrx9181
are you taking it to sso then so we can see it do a 10 second quarter?
The plan is to run at SSO. I understand Elvington is a different surface from Santa Pod so looking forward to it! Paul (Zen Performance), Sleepersy and Alyn (AS Performance) are teaming up with me for this.

Jag
Old 20 September 2010, 11:18 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

The theme behind the build was to create a very fast road car but one which could also perform likewise on a 1/4 mile drag strip (with a decent driver ). I wanted something different to all other 600+ builds, something different, something unique, something with wow factor but which still looked very plain out of the factory look. Perhaps try to aim for that ultimate "New Age" sleeper goal??...I believe Chy, Lateral Performance, Paul @ Zen and Pat Herborne have created it!

My requirements were very tough in terms of creating this whole package, and believe you me, I have been fairly demanding with those involved! Ultimately, we have now created as a team I personally believe one of a rare new age sleeper beauty which has gonads too (Pat Herborn terminology!)

I would like to thank those who have stuck by and supported me throughout the build namely Mark (Lateral Performance), Sleepersy, Alyn (AS Performance) & Ian Bradshaw. Paul has played an immense role following the build, but without you guys I am not sure if I would have had something special which I have today!

As owner of the car I thought I would play my part on this thread by sharing pictures of the build and fabrication work put together by Chy @ Pennine Subaru....quite a bit of colour I must admit buts thats what I wanted! lol!

Jag

Here we go......Don't know why some of the pics have gone so small!

Name:  ClosedDeckBlockwithCoatedPistonsII.jpg
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  WRCCrankHotCamsCosworthValves.jpg
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  TheBlock.jpg
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  Pic6-2.jpg
Size:  5.1 KB

Name:  Pic8-1.jpg
Size:  7.8 KB

Name:  Pic9-1.jpg
Size:  8.0 KB

Name:  Pic3-3.jpg
Size:  6.7 KB

Name:  Pic4-3.jpg
Size:  4.2 KB

Name:  Pic14.jpg
Size:  7.6 KB

Name:  Pic1-4.jpg
Size:  7.0 KB

Name:  Pic2-3.jpg
Size:  6.0 KB

Name:  Pic15.jpg
Size:  9.3 KB

Name:  Pic11.jpg
Size:  4.5 KB

Name:  Pic12.jpg
Size:  4.2 KB

Name:  Pic13.jpg
Size:  4.6 KB

Name:  Pic17.jpg
Size:  9.8 KB

Name:  Pic18.jpg

Name:  Pic19.jpg

Name:  Pic21.jpg
Size:  4.3 KB

Name:  Pic23.jpg
Size:  7.0 KB

Name:  Pic25.jpg

Name:  Pic26.jpg
Size:  6.2 KB

Name:  Pic24.jpg
Size:  6.7 KB

Name:  Pic32.jpg
Size:  10.0 KB

Name:  Pic33.jpg

Name:  Pic34.jpg
Size:  9.4 KB

Name:  Pic35.jpg
Size:  9.4 KB

Name:  Pic38.jpg
Size:  9.2 KB

Name:  Pic40.jpg
Size:  10.8 KB

Name:  Pic41.jpg
Size:  6.1 KB

Name:  Pic42.jpg
Size:  10.1 KB

Name:  Pic43.jpg
Size:  10.0 KB

Name:  Pic44.jpg
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  Pic45.jpg
Size:  6.6 KB

Name:  Pic48.jpg
Size:  4.4 KB

Name:  Pic50.jpg
Size:  6.3 KB

Name:  Pic46.jpg
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  Pic52.jpg
Size:  8.9 KB

Name:  Pic53.jpg
Size:  9.9 KB

Name:  Pic54.jpg
Size:  10.6 KB

Name:  Pic55.jpg
Size:  6.6 KB

Name:  Pic56.jpg
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  Pic57.jpg
Size:  8.3 KB

Name:  Pic58.jpg
Size:  9.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0481.jpg
Size:  64.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0219.jpg
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0303.jpg
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  Pic31.jpg
Size:  4.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0535.jpg
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0536.jpg
Size:  99.3 KB

Last edited by JP4; 21 September 2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 20 September 2010, 11:21 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

JP,
I forgot to say...

Congrates on the build and recent times at the pod!
Old 20 September 2010, 11:28 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
JP,
I forgot to say...

Congrates on the build and recent times at the pod!
Thanks Shaun - much appreciated fella! Hopefully we shall speak at SSO if you're planning to attend.

Pod was quite funny as my car was probably one of the most "plain" looking ones there with full interior!! Very sheepish like.... Paul should be posting up vids tomorrow fingers crossed!
Old 21 September 2010, 08:26 AM
Lateral Performance
Former Sponsor

Jag,

Congratulations on your results, and showing that you can drive too, well, in a straight line anyway

I'm really pleased it's all come together for you.

Mark.
Old 21 September 2010, 09:39 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Wow those new pictures really show off your hard work.
Nice to see a wr1 done as to me its a special edition mate.
Good look
ill look out for it at sso
Old 21 September 2010, 10:26 AM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Pictures don't do this car justice ! It really is a special build and it has proved it capable of very quick quarters already. Amazing road car, very different to mine being just a drag machine. Just shows these thing can be done in differing ways which is nice to see.

If you want to see this and some other amazing Imprezas in action then get yourselves to SSO on 3rd October
Old 21 September 2010, 11:19 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mad Hammer
If you want to see this and some other amazing Imprezas in action then get yourselves to SSO on 3rd October
Yes Im very much looking forwards to this,... Is there an itinerary planned for the SSO yet?

Ive been reading and following quite a few builds over the last year or so, inc yours Mad Hammer & David Davies etc.

Rob
Old 21 September 2010, 12:01 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Great write up JP4 and excellent results, visual and performance.
That's a brilliant concept... a 10 second scooby sleeper
Any chance you could post up your times from the pod?
60ft
1/8 et & ts
1/4 et & ts

Apologies if they're on thread already but I didn't spot them.
Old 21 September 2010, 12:18 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Yes Im very much looking forwards to this,... Is there an itinerary planned for the SSO yet?

Ive been reading and following quite a few builds over the last year or so, inc yours Mad Hammer & David Davies etc.

Rob
Rob, will start @ 10.30 and handling and drag run at the same time.
Old 21 September 2010, 02:13 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mad Hammer
Rob, will start @ 10.30 and handling and drag run at the same time.
Cheers mate, im getting withdrawl symptoms from TOTB

I need to compete more

Rob
Old 21 September 2010, 06:36 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

Very Nice Jag!!

Got to say Chy is a genius with his machining and fabrication work!! I've never seen an Impreza engine bay look so unique!!

How is the 8 injector set-up?
Old 21 September 2010, 06:38 PM
chrisdicko
Scooby Regular

What cams are you running too? With that power are they ok for everyday road use?
Old 21 September 2010, 06:55 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mark / wrx9181

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Great write up JP4 and excellent results, visual and performance.
That's a brilliant concept... a 10 second scooby sleeper
Any chance you could post up your times from the pod?
60ft
1/8 et & ts
1/4 et & ts

Apologies if they're on thread already but I didn't spot them.
Thanks. Full times haven't been officially posted as Paul will be covering a few other things on the build before these come. But here's the quickest of the day:

Name:  Scan013.jpg
Size:  143.7 KB
Old 21 September 2010, 07:28 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Sweet!
I bet that made you smile, thanks for posting
Old 21 September 2010, 07:48 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisdicko
Very Nice Jag!!

I've never seen an Impreza engine bay look so unique!!

How is the 8 injector set-up?
Cheers Chris! Unique is what I wanted mate! 8 injector set up is working fine. Idea behind this was to allow further driveability and overall controll (Pat Herborn came up with this one!). Hopefully you know what kind of build to go for going from our last telephone conversation back last year.

Cams are Lateral custom profile ones which was specifically suited to my requirements. My everyday usage tends to be on the lowest boost setting of 1.3(still 478hp on dastek) and yes I am very happy with the way the car drives....no stalling at traffic lights etc. Paul listened to my desired requirements and gave me what I wanted.

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Sweet!
I bet that made you smile, thanks for posting
The first thing Paul said to me after I pulled up following that run was...."that sounded/looked very fast!"......I replied..."it bloody felt very fast alright"! Then when Sleepersy came along with his thumbs raised we knew it was something good!

Keep an eye on this thread as Paul will post up more details on the build and datalog he downloads of my runs!

Quick Reply: 10 second WR1 road car.