Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Classic re-build novice style!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2009, 03:27 AM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic re-build novice style!!

RIGHT!!! (this has turned out a little long) i have a my97 uk spec turbo 2000 which (hopfully) is soon to be a bit of a cross breed uk jdm mix up!! (not by plan i will add)

Story goes... the bottom end in my97 is starting to rattle. As its used as a daily car for me the wife and kids i dont really want it to go bang on the motorway with them in it on the way back from the beach or somthing silly. Last drive of the car also noticed burning oil comming off the turbo so i decided to take it off the road and try and find another my97 engine and go from there.
As you lot will know trying to find a my97 turbo lump (that has not already blown into many parts) is like trying to get blood out of a stone! i was advised NOT to get a 2nd hand motor as it will prob do the same thing! so i was now looking for a recon lump. Spare moneys are a thing of reality when im asleep so it had to be on a tight budget............................................ .......wait.................... So i found a SMR engine on ebay (just) about in my budget and planed to got down that route!
VERY QUICKLY WAS I ONCE AGAIN advised not to go down that route. (deep breath and huff)
To shorten this story a little, i was advised in the direction of a very highly rated, well known company that would re-build my lump and would see me right. not ever having buoght anything on tick i aint got a credit rating so a bank loan was out the question. Off i crawl to my boss asking him for 2.5k. In fairness to him it was the big dogs that told me to bark up some one elses tree so now i find my self stuck! nights and nights of ebaying looking found me nothing till this......

£500 quid!!
a little bent but the engine in it runs sweet as a nut.... cant fault it!

Next problem i have.... i have a phase 1.5 engine and the car i just bought has a phase 1 engine!
So do i do a full ECU, Dash, Loom and the long way just for the sake of a tdo5 powerd motor or do i just swap a load of bits about and be done with it??

The latter is the plan.. .. my97 manifold and gubbings on the my96 lump!

I have been told many different ways of how this can and cant work but i have no other option! so im just gonna go 4 it! Im a complete novice when it comes to scoobys so there will be alot of silly questions popping up from myself. (so dont hate me to much!)
im also going to try the following mods myself whist its off the road too.

Wheels off.... re-ferbed and painted white
TDO5 to be converted to a Front intake ready for map time!
find a mappable ECU
Repair and spray front splitter
Prep and spray mid level spoiler
Painted inlet manifold
Polished and ported headers

I will also add that i have snotty **** neighbours that dont like scoobys. The donor car has tax on it till the end of this month so i need to have this done before then! i work "on call" so i hope im gonna have a quiet couple of weeks! If any 1 fancys a bacon butty and some cake, feel free to come help me!

sorry for the maniscript, and i apologise if i dont conform to the un writen scooby rule book! This thread is my first step in completing this project (as i was ment to start it today but bottled it!) so bare with me!
heres a couple of pics of the project car!

thanks for reading.

Last edited by G-Man1982; 07 September 2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07 September 2009, 09:30 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

taken the engine of the donor car apart today. everything is off ready for lifting except for that clutch release baring. headers on it were a bit tatty so there off and will use the ones off the green sccob, and the up-pipe was looking on its last legs so there gone. turbo, starter, alternator, inlet mani and power steering pump is off. Got a mate comming round with a big enough Allen key tomorrow to spit the box so fingers crossed. Wheels are off and on the green 1 so i can referb and paint my gold ones white. (currently in front room!!)

lets say i have sussed out about the scooby lumps today. i think there actually very easy to work on.

tomorrow i will be removing the inlet mani off the green 1 and cleaning and painting it up!! before refitting. All bits have been WD40`d to be left over night (turbo and zorst been soaked!)

heres a couple of pics nothing special tho..

im off to rub down my wheels..
Old 08 September 2009, 12:48 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can i ask where you got that for 500 quid$? im always looking for bargins like this but never find em. you can reply via pm.
Old 08 September 2009, 06:44 PM
scoobyman316
Scooby Regular

turbo should come off quite easily m8
only been on about a year
did the private plate come with it
Old 08 September 2009, 09:24 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

yes bud private plate came with it.
Old 08 September 2009, 09:24 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dj219957
can i ask where you got that for 500 quid$? im always looking for bargins like this but never find em. you can reply via pm.
a guy in deptford mate

he gets alsorts, i can get em all the time.
Old 08 September 2009, 09:44 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

started doing my wheels last night. thought "i know ill take em al the way back to the ally for a fully vamped re-furb! SOD THAT after a hour of doing it and gettin not far!

here a couple of pics...

that is very long doing it that way and will teach me to stop being such a perfectionist!
i have been rubbing them down to the origanal prima of the wheels. Is hard work but will be well worth it once all tha matalic gold has gone!

today i attacked the green scoob... couple of little niggles...

Stripped down the top part of green scoob. De- AC`d it as it never worked properly anyway. power steering pump to one side. Alternator off as well as starter.

Started matching up the phate 1.5 bits on the phase 1 lump and found these were different and needed swapping round.... simple i thought..
heres the difference..

done all 3 bolts up and the 4th 1...... well..... its snapped in the engine block!

B0110CKS!!!

i then thought i would have to changed the casings round and all sorts of **** but took it back off and to my luck there was this...

there really is a car god! out came the mole-grips and removed what was left of the thread. pheew!

pulled that out and am awating a donor bold from one of me mates.

on removing my TD04 i found there to be quite a bit of play in the shaft so i will be on the hunt for another 1. the TD05 that was on the red one is sweet as a nut and looks very new. not a bit of play in the shaft but its a bloody 90 deg upswept so wont fit! gutted! getting my metal machining mate on the case of that!

last casualty of the day was me.... bastid cars!!

it does smart a bit but i will servive!

have a random pic... i bet my neighbours are having a good old chit chat about me!! lol (fk em!)

clutch release thingy things are out of both engines so hoping to swap the bottom ends round tomorrow. then the fun begins!

Last edited by G-Man1982; 08 September 2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09 September 2009, 06:12 AM
scoobyman316
Scooby Regular

td05 will fit m8 you will just need to use the inlet from the red one
Old 09 September 2009, 07:31 PM
micky.allan
Scooby Newbie

having done the same thing (95 wrx engine into 98 turbo 2000) the 2 things i will recomend are. while the engines are out. check the crank cam belt pully has the same timing marks. and swap the crank case breather pipes over. as these are a pain to do once the inlets back on. good luck.