Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Project Rex Racer

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2009, 12:37 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project WRX clean up and Track Prep

Hi guys... I thought I'd show my little project I got going on with my early WRX. Here's abit of background first...

I was lucky enough to own this car at the age of 18 (now 21) and had it insured through my dads business, most people thought I'd crash it in the first week but I always respected the power and never did anything stupid in it. My dad wouldnt have done this for me if he thought I wasnt a sensible driver.

Ive always been in to high performance Jap cars and was seriously excited to have one. Over the few years Ive had it, its had a few mods like ARB's, chip, full de-cat, 4-pots... I always struggled to afford things for the car earning only £50 a week and still going to college doing Automotive Tech but I still maintaind the car with the best oil, octane boost, fuel and general service items when they were needed.

Im now in uni doing Motorsport Engineering so had to take the Impreza off the road and it also needed a clutch. Just finished my first year on my course and have the Motorsport Bug and decided I wanted the Impreza back as a fastroad/track car. I know this will make it even harder to insure once Im done but what ever... you only live once, so here I go!

Last edited by GazJenno; 06 May 2010 at 09:16 PM. Reason: more sensible name
Old 19 June 2009, 12:38 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

How the car was....

Old 19 June 2009, 12:41 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

First thing to tackle was the clutch so I decided to take the engine out, that way I can clean up the rocker cover gaskets and the rest of the engine ... 8 hours after starting here it is!

Old 19 June 2009, 12:53 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

At this point I realised that now I started Im going to have to finish which was quite a scary thought!... It means Im now in the money pit, my mates keep telling me its the right thing to do because it was and still is my car, my pride and joy.

I then got on the phone to Dave at API to talk about the clutch and he gave me some good advice and I handed over my money and have just recieved an Exedy clutch kit and Lightened Fly wheel... the problem is I keep thinking "well while its out I might as well do this and this etc" but every now and then I doubt myself and think this is money I will never see again

anyway... heres what literally just arrived!

Cheers Dave!
Old 19 June 2009, 01:02 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

The jobs I have planned while the engine is out are as follows:

Rocker cover gaskets - Got the 3Bond from API with the clutch.

Parrallel Fuel Lines -to add a little bit more reliablility, but confused what needs to be done... any help please.

Paint Up - clean and re-paint various engine parts, covers, brackets etc.

Decent breather system.

Heated throttle body delete.

Ported headers and up-pipe - still not sure if Im going to do this yet.

Samco hoses - reliability and looks.

so Im going to say I need about another £350 worth of stuff, although not sure how much fuel rail stuff will be but alot of the jobs are cheap tidy ups.

eventually I then want a Roll cage, new seats, flocked dash and decent suspension. I really need some encouragemet at the moment though and a little adice when it comes to some of the jobs.
Old 19 June 2009, 01:03 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Heres a a few things I prepared for paint... one of the fan housings and the top of the radiator.

Old 02 July 2009, 03:25 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Very slow progress at the moment as I found out that I had broken two fingers on my right hand whilst playing football, didnt know this when I took the engine out lol.

Wish I hadnt given this project such a ghey name now because this is never gonna be turned into a racer this summer. However I do plan on finishing what I started with the engine and get it back in soon with the new parts on and all cleaned up!

Heres what Ive done over the last week or so... with broken fingers!

first of all some new goodies... samco hose kit and some breather hose pipe

the new Catch Cans for the Breathers

then fitted the Fly wheel, not very exciting I know... sorry

cleaned up some of the engine block and also did rocker gaskets at some point

Before

After

The painted Fan covers and Radiator panel

Parts Left to fit... already fitted some of the samco's

Old 02 July 2009, 03:28 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Thought I'd give DIY header porting ago

Manifold off...

Porting bits I had lying around... all expense spared on new stuff

started porting

first one so far

and the comparison made clear

I know theres much more exciting projects going on and the title of mine does over sell it abit... sorry
Old 05 July 2009, 08:15 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBH these are the projects we want to see.

Anyone can chuck 20k at a car and let someone else do it.

Im interested in self header porting, can you give us some more detail/tips of what you did?

Good stuff, will be keeping my eye on this thread

Thanks
Old 06 July 2009, 05:59 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that comment the only reason I feel that people wont be interested in my project is because its gonna be fairly slow progress.... especially when I go back to uni in Aug!

Anyway... The header porting was a matter of using common sense I guess, basically and ports that gasses flow into should be bigger and the ports that the gas is coming from. So I made all the ports after the heads bigger and smoother using that grinding bit shown, however if you have the cash invest in a carbide metal chewing grinding bit lol, they get the job done quicker so Im told.

I shall get some more pics up very soon of how the other ports are now looking and once I get some heat wrap. I am still waiting on my ancillary set of samco hoses and need to find my clutch allignment tool to put that on then the engine refitment will begin.

Gaz
Old 09 July 2009, 03:59 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Little update... abit more on the header porting, I have finished porting everything I feel I needed to. Broke the manifold down in to its seperate components and took the up pipe off to grind down some of the welds that Im sure interupt gas flow!

In the above photos you may see some random bits and spots that look like they've been missed but its actually were some rain got on them and they rusted up slightly but have been cleaned now.

Also some pics of how Ive cut the Lugs off that the standard heatshields fit too. These will be ground down flat so the headers can be heat wrapped which has now been ordered.

This was done using an angle grinder but there are some even bigger heatshield moounting points on the other side header that will require more work. Pics of this to follow plus heat wrapping when it arrives, clutch fitment, more samco's going on then re-installation of the engine!!

Gaz
Old 09 July 2009, 11:16 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyc
TBH these are the projects we want to see.

Anyone can chuck 20k at a car and let someone else do it.

Im interested in self header porting, can you give us some more detail/tips of what you did?

Thanks
i agree with the DIY as iv done it with mine, but the porting - well there a reason why people pay harvey / and others to do it right with testing behind their methods etc.
Old 10 July 2009, 12:22 AM
radboy69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
i agree with the DIY as iv done it with mine, but the porting - well there a reason why people pay harvey / and others to do it right with testing behind their methods etc.
would also like 2 do it myself, but told i could det the engine if i didnt remap straight away...
...also wrighty is ur project open to local public ,great pics ,cant wait to see it in the flesh
Old 10 July 2009, 10:44 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Looking good so far
Old 10 July 2009, 10:57 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys... re the porting, I fully agree that what Harvey does is of a higher standard with more professional tools etc but I simply could not afford to have it done. I dont really see how I could have made this manifold worse than it was as all I have done is grind down casting marks, welds and ensure less restricion to gas flow between the transitions of the various sections.

My last view on it is if it works then great stuff, if it doesnt it will be put right/fixed one way or another. I am very keen on various tuning methods and enhancing production cars and like most things will only learn by actually doing. I dont know where Harvey started or what equipment he had but heres were Im starting

Again thanks for the comments... more pics to come after the work over the weekend.

Cheers,
Gaz
Old 10 July 2009, 08:06 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

An air die grinder would do that work in minutes, I did my tubular manifold, inlet and turbo housing with one. Its worth looking for a cheap compressor and die grinder on fleabay, use it and then sell it on
Old 10 July 2009, 10:36 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark A
An air die grinder would do that work in minutes, I did my tubular manifold, inlet and turbo housing with one. Its worth looking for a cheap compressor and die grinder on fleabay, use it and then sell it on
were where you when I started lol... only joking

I have a compressor so could have done that but was just using bits I had lying around, although it took longer I think if I had started using a more aggressive tool I probably would of taken too much material off.... but next time it will be on my list

cheers,
Gaz
Old 10 July 2009, 10:52 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazJenno
Thanks for the comments guys... re the porting, I fully agree that what Harvey does is of a higher standard with more professional tools etc but I simply could not afford to have it done. I dont really see how I could have made this manifold worse than it was as all I have done is grind down casting marks, welds and ensure less restricion to gas flow between the transitions of the various sections.

My last view on it is if it works then great stuff, if it doesnt it will be put right/fixed one way or another. I am very keen on various tuning methods and enhancing production cars and like most things will only learn by actually doing. I dont know where Harvey started or what equipment he had but heres were Im starting

Again thanks for the comments... more pics to come after the work over the weekend.

Cheers,
Gaz

Too right mate.

Alot of people darent even change their own oil cos it might destroy the engine.

Brakes are funny. They are one of the easiest things to do on a car, but the amount of people that wont even consider doing it them selves because "its the brakes man, i dont wanna mess with the brakes, only professionals should do it" i find funny. Part of the reason why garages charge such rediculous prices. But thats another topic...

Fact is, and no disrespect to anyone, these things aint magical. Do the research and youll be ok.

And really good on to Gaz for doing this himself!

Keep us up to date eh!
Old 10 July 2009, 11:23 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyc
Too right mate.

Alot of people darent even change their own oil cos it might destroy the engine.

Brakes are funny. They are one of the easiest things to do on a car, but the amount of people that wont even consider doing it them selves because "its the brakes man, i dont wanna mess with the brakes, only professionals should do it" i find funny. Part of the reason why garages charge such rediculous prices. But thats another topic...

Fact is, and no disrespect to anyone, these things aint magical. Do the research and youll be ok.

And really good on to Gaz for doing this himself!

Keep us up to date eh!
Cheers, TBF I have got qualifications in Automotive Techonolgy and Vehicle Repair and like I said am now in uni doing Motorsport Engineering... when I was at college you wouldnt believe some of the planks that are now in industry working on customers cars... I would not take mine near them lol

I did work experiance at BMW and was allowed to do alot on peoples cars before I had much knowledge that were worth £££££'s... I also worked abit for RSE Motorsport a couple of years back who won the first 2 rounds of time attack this year

Cheers again mate, yea I'll keep it upto date. Big week ahead to get the engine back in!

Gaz

Last edited by GazJenno; 10 July 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11 July 2009, 12:53 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

you have pushed me now to give it ago porting myself heres hoping i dont *** it up lol
Old 11 July 2009, 02:32 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobwrx94import
you have pushed me now to give it ago porting myself heres hoping i dont *** it up lol
lol... dont blame me if it goes wrong please! I still wont know if mines worked untill the engine goes back in, at the moment Im tangled in Heat Wrap, awful stuff!

Gaz
Old 14 July 2009, 03:04 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Further Update...

More hoses arrive, the ancillary set!

Heat wrap arrived too...

Old 14 July 2009, 03:08 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Wrapped up-pipe

and fitted...

Rest of the manifold wrapped!

Cleaned out bell housing and fitted release fork, pin and bearing!

Fitted clutch and aligned!

Need to figure out where all the samco's go incase some are easier to fit with the engine out. Then I can go ahead and re-fit the engine!

Also got a side project on the go which is a mates Polo GTi that is having a few things fitted for Tatton Park show... so far I have fitted a BMC induction kit and wrapped his stainless manifold... soon to fit his coilovers, brakes, strut brace and so on. So abit busy at the moment which is slowing this down.

Gaz

Last edited by GazJenno; 14 July 2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 19 July 2009, 11:58 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

3inch bell mouth de-cat downpipe, with further heatwrapping and selant in black... with relocated Lambda

Engine back in now...

More Parts fitted...

Should be ready to start tomorrow... The problem is I'm still unsure what Im going to do with the car, I want to track it or even enter a series but I cant insure it and trailer licenses and trailers aint cheap so how do I transport it... not to mention the huge list of parts I made that I would eventually like to fit so I'd feel it was done properly to my standard... I also have a spare engine thats going to be forged but funds are low being a student and all so kinda stuck abit of a hollow achievement.

Gaz
Old 20 July 2009, 07:29 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Alright Gaz. Know how your feeling dude. Keep at it tho. Your going at it pretty well!

Do you need a license to tow a car trailer? All you need is a car heavier than the trailer n car combined i thought. I.e. a landy or something.

Just put it back and track it as it is? Enter some hill cimbs if you want an element of comp..?
Old 20 July 2009, 10:44 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Cheers man... I fired her up before and think I fell in love with it again, was an awsome feeling of acomplishment! I think I'm gonna sort out a trailer or summit and track it as it is and do more on it inbetween... as well as build my other engine on the side!

As for a trailer... the older generation among us with older car licenses are allowed to tow them as long as the car towing is heavier than the trailer and goods... but they changed the law and if you got your license not long ago you can only tow a trailer upto 750kgs which aint alot!... to tow more you have to do training and get a different license which cost around £300 for the trianing and test!!

More pics to come of the completed job... and maybe a video of her running

Gaz
Old 22 July 2009, 08:21 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

huh, didnt know that..

Yeah man, U got any track experiance?

Im pretty new to it, but my STi power is plenty for the track really. However i found the car really lacking in grip. More power is nice, but good brakes, rubber, and suspension is awesome for me.

The spending never ends! and i wouldnt change it for the world
Old 22 July 2009, 09:38 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Nah Ive not actually been on track with a car... fast go-kart not long ago but they dont really do it for me! Gonna book a track training thing at some point soon though.

I think im going to leave the engine now, it should be enough for abit but like I said building a spare on the side over the next year too. Gonna sort out the roll cage over the winter and tidy up the body work.

I didnt really mention at the begining of this project that I already have whiteline ARBs, Solid Drop links front and rear... as well as 4-pot front calipers and new Toyo T1-R's all round

Like I said my list is massive but I'm having to cut back on my ideas and think basic to begin with... after the cage will coilovers and thats it, ready for the track.... do what ever else as I go along.

Which tracks you been on? Have you done much to the engine of your car to make it more reliable for your type of use?

Gaz
Old 23 July 2009, 10:01 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

You dont really have to do any track training... Find an easy track to use (Croft for example) and there are instructors there all the time to come out with you for a couple of laps and tell you how to take the corners and everything (usually at no extra cost to the track day)

I too use a scooby for track, and its great fun! Mine is currently running 310 bhp with hardily any engine mods (equal length headers, up pipe, decat down pipe, center and back box, front mount intercooler and an induction kit.)
Old 23 July 2009, 01:33 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

My aim was to make it so it could compete in the ScoobyCup next year or at some point... I think that requires a B license and to get that you get some training so will just do that then some track days... As ive not been on one before I was wondering if an instructor will give some advice so thanks for answering that

For the scoobycup your not allowed more than 280bhp, this is to make it affordable so not going to bother with performance stuff at the moment but will do in the future

Anyone got any opinions on what roll cage I should fit?... was told the OMP 10point bolt in one is good for the scoobycup but Ive always thought a Weld in one is better... was thinking about the Sparco Weld in one from DemonTweeks but that is £500 plus vat... worth it, over the OMP one for £333 plus vat?

Gaz

Quick Reply: Project Rex Racer