Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Scooby wagon respray!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2009, 07:43 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby wagon respray!!!

Got fed up of my car being how it was, so decided to respray it........myself. Im quite good at bodywork and have done some spraying in the past e.g bumpers etc, so i figured what the hell. I had a go at making wider arches for the front but after many attempts, lots of advice and money later, i gave up to the idea and got a new set of stock wings. Ive stripped the interior all back to bare metal etc etc and its gone from grey to gloss white as the following pics show. Ive also fitted 4 point harnesses and tidied up the the interior(bit more work on the instruments etc etc to do to put the finishing touches to it.0
Outside is now well underway.

Will keep the post updated as much as poss fir those who are interested.

Comments welcome.

Cheers Guys.

Bonnet, boot and doors etc are still being perped etc.

More pics soon.

As at the top, comments welcome, good or bad!!!!!
Old 24 April 2009, 10:02 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

superb mate. grat colour choise too. white is very 'in' and the moment.
Old 24 April 2009, 10:06 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't envy you spraying it outdoors, I used a large gazebo when I resprayed my last car but it still ended up with quite a bit of dust contaminating the final coats
Old 25 April 2009, 12:03 AM
phil84
Scooby Regular

looked fine before.......looks like its gonna be better

oh and your rear bumper......where did you get that from???
Old 25 April 2009, 09:58 AM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil84
looked fine before.......looks like its gonna be better

oh and your rear bumper......where did you get that from???
standard bumper with rear diffuser from www.HT-autos.co.uk
Old 25 April 2009, 10:09 AM
tee120
Scooby Regular

really nice mate u got some serious talent there
Old 25 April 2009, 10:26 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

awesome!!!!

fancy doin mine................
Old 25 April 2009, 11:32 AM
999wrx
Scooby Regular

Jesus mate, hope you remember where all the parts go! looks really well, whites def the best colour! carry on the good work!
Old 25 April 2009, 11:57 AM
l555 jgh
Scooby Newbie

looks great gaz cant wait to see it all done awesome!!!!!!!
Old 25 April 2009, 12:10 PM
si42
Scooby Newbie

looking good mate will look the nuts when done fair play for doing it yourself
Old 25 April 2009, 01:09 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

i cant see it turning out well being painted outside, your gonna get serious mess over it and some nasty flatting and polishing to get a half decent finiish. just luccy that most people arent panel beater / painters so wont notice the defects
Old 25 April 2009, 06:32 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't knock you for your efforts, i hope it turns out well for you and indeed a very nice car.
Old 25 April 2009, 06:44 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Looking good. Like the big scoop!
Old 26 April 2009, 09:06 AM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
i cant see it turning out well being painted outside, your gonna get serious mess over it and some nasty flatting and polishing to get a half decent finiish. just luccy that most people arent panel beater / painters so wont notice the defects

My brothers just had his 106 shell sprayed in a booth and baked in it aswell. If you were to look at the two together, there aint alot of diff in the quality of the finished product. His has a few bits in it to, and id say fairly similar amount to mine, and for starters, the painters have said that nearly all cars need flatting and polishing when they have been painted anyway to stop them dulling in a couple of months or so.
They have looked at mine to give me a price to flat and polish it and said fair play to ya. To say its been sprayed outside its an awesome finish you've got there! That'lll do for me.
Anyhow, im happy with it anyways so thats all that matters. Thanks for comments tho.
Old 26 April 2009, 09:34 AM
V5RLTD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by biggazvr6
My brothers just had his 106 shell sprayed in a booth and baked in it aswell. If you were to look at the two together, there aint alot of diff in the quality of the finished product. His has a few bits in it to, and id say fairly similar amount to mine, and for starters, the painters have said that nearly all cars need flatting and polishing when they have been painted anyway to stop them dulling in a couple of months or so.
They have looked at mine to give me a price to flat and polish it and said fair play to ya. To say its been sprayed outside its an awesome finish you've got there! That'lll do for me.
Anyhow, im happy with it anyways so thats all that matters. Thanks for comments tho.
Fair play to you mate I would never take on that I would have bits left over when i put it all back together
Old 03 May 2009, 03:46 PM
l555 jgh
Scooby Newbie

anymore pics of the car yet gaz
Old 04 May 2009, 09:38 AM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

more on the way, ****ty weather at the min. Ive also bin concentrating on getting the interior back in and finished and ive also knocked a few other bits on the head whilst ive been on with it. Just 3 doors and the boot left to prep now. All the bits that were in primer have now been flatted and sprayed yesterday so they are drying in anticipation of some nice 'building back up weather'!!!!
Old 04 May 2009, 11:44 AM
philS scooby
Scooby Regular

good job considing the size of your compressor
Old 04 May 2009, 12:06 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

this is not so true, it totally depends on how much effort the lad puts in, if he puts in enough effort i am sure it will be spot on.

agreed its not the ideal situation to do the painting in, but if its a nice enough day, no wind and flying bits of crap in the air you can get factory results if you put the effort in

mine turned out awesome, and won enough show and shine trophys in its time

i even fitted my widearch bodykit to the car outside

personally i got sick of paying good money to crap bodyshops and getting a car back, covered in crap, orange peel`ish and generally feeling ripped off.

after working in a ford dealers bodyshop for 5 years and seeing some of the gash work that was done and passed of as "ok" i figured the DIY option was a no brainer.

i painted the scooby in 230 feather white, cellulose paint, put plenty on and wet flatted the whole car afterwards to get rid of any imperfections, after the buff back up with the machine polisher, you are left with a job done in love, 10 times better then some bored painter from a bodyshop who is just told to bang them out as fast as poss to protect profit margins.

its not a job for n00bs, but if somebody is well into detailing and the like, its a do-able option

Last edited by StickyMicky; 04 May 2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04 May 2009, 12:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

some various pictures of mine

how it turned out

just painted this outside 2 weeks back

both sides and the front bumper, the front bumper has had the bottom half sprayed up to the corner mouldings and blended in (its a pearl colour so needs blending)

both sides were blended up to the top crease and before the front and rear lights

never painted with a pearl colour before (solvent basecoat and a clearcoat)
people i have showed so far have said they have paid "pro`s" for a worse quality job then this

infact i had a mates civic type r in for cleaning last friday with a front wing that was not blended and painted "edge to edge" and you can imagine how ****e that looked .........

Last edited by StickyMicky; 04 May 2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05 May 2009, 04:53 PM
julienmatthew
Scooby Regular

great job gaz cant wait to see the rest of the pics ,keep at it
Old 17 May 2009, 09:08 AM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Default ***UPDATE***

Just an update of progress to date.........

Dash board is being sent away this week hopefully to get flocked

The interior is now pretty much how its going to be.

My foot well plates have been cut and im just waiting on some fittings so i can get them in the car.

all little bits ie mirrirs etc have all been painted now, and the drivers door has been painted too. just got the boot lid, 3 doors and bonnet to prep and paint.
Got an ally bonnet from HDC subaru so just waiting for funds and then ill be collecting that and geting that prepped and painted.

Not to far off now..............

Old 17 May 2009, 11:00 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, I can't wait to see the finished result.

I wish the missus would let me have a new compressor
Old 17 May 2009, 05:55 PM
l555 jgh
Scooby Newbie

looking good gaz how was howard at hdc did you have look at his subaru rally car
Old 17 May 2009, 06:08 PM
Pete
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job fella, i just love White Wagons, i want one.....
Old 17 May 2009, 09:37 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

looks good mate . fair play at doing it yourself
Old 17 May 2009, 10:12 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by biggazvr6
im not knocking your work, your efforts are outstanding. i was looking at the pic of the wing, and thought, the air from the gun will disturb the dust on floor and it wud land on u panel. you are right. most cars do need flatting and polishing, all depends on the cleaniness of the paint, guns and booth. whether paint is filtered and also a big factor is if ur using solvent based or water, water needing to be blown off creating more dust that lands on panel, solvent drying in front of u. extraction is also key when painting in a booth and the anti static white boiler suits.

i think ur doing a fantastic job. just be careful on edges when polishing. so easy to burn through on fresh laquer.

im a panel beater / painter by trade, if u need any advice drop me a pm
Old 17 May 2009, 10:20 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
this is not so true, it totally depends on how much effort the lad puts in, if he puts in enough effort i am sure it will be spot on.

agreed its not the ideal situation to do the painting in, but if its a nice enough day, no wind and flying bits of crap in the air you can get factory results if you put the effort in

mine turned out awesome, and won enough show and shine trophys in its time

i even fitted my widearch bodykit to the car outside

personally i got sick of paying good money to crap bodyshops and getting a car back, covered in crap, orange peel`ish and generally feeling ripped off.

after working in a ford dealers bodyshop for 5 years and seeing some of the gash work that was done and passed of as "ok" i figured the DIY option was a no brainer.

i painted the scooby in 230 feather white, cellulose paint, put plenty on and wet flatted the whole car afterwards to get rid of any imperfections, after the buff back up with the machine polisher, you are left with a job done in love, 10 times better then some bored painter from a bodyshop who is just told to bang them out as fast as poss to protect profit margins.

its not a job for n00bs, but if somebody is well into detailing and the like, its a do-able option
yeh your right to a certain extent. advantages of a booth are better extraction, faster flash off and laquer flows better when heated.

all cars i paint i 1500 flat with interface pad and polish up. just de nibs surface. a good painter will also also match the adjacent panels for finish. that takes skill. if u look at alot of new cars they have a peel to them. no good in putting a glass finish down next to a peel, stand out a mile.

quality of laquer helps, dupont 3800s is outstanding, and doesnt fade back after few months. but its £300 for 5 liters.

i take my hat of to anyone who tries them selves, as its not as easy as picking up a paint gun and away to go. especially those who do the filler work themselves and leave no traces of sanding or 2pac sinking and edges. nothign worse than seein a car with 80 grit scratches and filler / primer edges. those in the trade will pick these belishes up at a glimps from meters away from car.
Old 18 May 2009, 05:44 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate. Its 2pak gloss white so no laquer. plenty of paint on aswell so it should be ok. My mates gunna flat and polish it from the body shop near me as i didn't wanna risk burning through as it would be a shame to spoil it now. thnaks for advice and that. Gaz

im not knocking your work, your efforts are outstanding. i was looking at the pic of the wing, and thought, the air from the gun will disturb the dust on floor and it wud land on u panel. you are right. most cars do need flatting and polishing, all depends on the cleaniness of the paint, guns and booth. whether paint is filtered and also a big factor is if ur using solvent based or water, water needing to be blown off creating more dust that lands on panel, solvent drying in front of u. extraction is also key when painting in a booth and the anti static white boiler suits.

i think ur doing a fantastic job. just be careful on edges when polishing. so easy to burn through on fresh laquer.

im a panel beater / painter by trade, if u need any advice drop me a pm
Old 18 May 2009, 05:46 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l555 jgh
looking good gaz how was howard at hdc did you have look at his subaru rally car
Orite pal. Howard seems like a good bloke, very helpful and sound. His car is the dogs. fooking well smart!

I want a group a car!!!!

Quick Reply: Scooby wagon respray!!!