Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Team Monkfish Racing

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2008, 11:48 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Team Monkfish Racing

Just one week to go before Time Attack round one, and currently car is in bits, engine out, awaiting head gaskets, possible head skim, but we'll get to that in a bit.

I'll start at the beginning and hopefully have this thread fully udated by the end of the week.

By then I hope to have the car back together too!

Back to the beginning, so you can see where it all began.........

I thought I'd let you know how I'm getting on with my prep for this season, and whats been done already.

Bought the car Sept 04, 36K miles and had it unmodified for 2 1/2 years as I felt an STI was as fast as you need for the road, and it was.

I did 4 x 20min sessions on a pre Jap Fest day at Castle Coombe (2006), and was impressed with it, but annoyed that a well set-up (i would say that wouldn't I!) Prelude was quicker than me, I had it on the straights, but its cornering and late braking was good so I let him go.

And so the modding began, and after some advice sought (not necessarily sound either), ARB's, DL's, ALK, and Eibach springs were fitted for a more focused track car.

The road holding was amazing and I reckon thats the only mods needed to an Impreza for road use, so much more predictable on the road and I had much more confidence in the car.

Indeed the handling was brilliant and managed a 5th place at 2006 SSO on the handling circuit, powerwise was still standard and a 13.41sec 1/4 was set in the wet at the same event one rainy May weekend.

I managed to get an entry to Round 4 of the Time Attack series at Silverstone, stripped out the car looked like it was on stilts, the car was OK, OE brakes still held out (now with goodridge hoses) and I posted a respectable 1.12 on my flying lap, i was getting 1.33 in the wet on my road/ditchfinder 50 quid a corner tyres, and best in damp/dry practice on toyo R888's was a 1.14 so I was happy with the 2 second jump. I think best in club class was around 1.05

I wanted to go quicker on track, saw an article in Track and Race mag about some quick Subarus and took it down to a dealer for AST suspension to be fitted. Essentially what was done, the dealer took my car to powerstation, where Curtis (who I still pester for advice )fitted and set up the suspension for fast road/occasional track use, and the dealer charged me full subaru labour prices. I was very impressed with Powerstations work though, the car was very stiff for a daily driver but theres always a compromise. I couldn't get on the Donny finals of 2006 TA but booked 3 track sessions. On track, even on the road settings the car was amazing, very precise, flat through the corners.

end of the year, roll on 2007.

Last edited by Dill_typeR; 17 August 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:52 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Default and the next bit....

Well, for the next chapter.

I decided to bite the bullet and go for a power hike, I did my research and phoned a lot of tuners and decided that Zen would be best for my tuning needs. I wanted a modest power increase with a view at doing the Time Attack series proper for 2007, whilct keeping it a 'daily driver', and most important of all.....reliable.

I started buying up parts off ebay, new and second hand and collected the following kit. I then took the car down to Wellingborough and left it at Zen. I sort of just explained what I'd bought and 'did one', had to get back to work.

Apexi PFC + Commander
FMIC
Pipercross IK

H+S Decat Exhaust
Induction Hose
Radiator pipes
CDF lightweight pulleys

Unfortuneately I couldn't pick it up so Lister had my car for a couple of weeks :evil: as space was needed at Zen.

It was wet and my drive back was pretty reserved so I didn't really want to open up one the public roads. But when the weather was more favourable I did and was amazed with the difference.

From a quick car as standard with a 'punchy' turbo, the torque seemed spread throughout the rev range with no real lag issue, and certainly not on track.
Old 31 March 2008, 11:56 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Default And a bit more....

A cold air feed was also fitted by Paul@Zen which I later married up to a an intake bonded into the fog cover.

Paul suggested the brakes wouldn't be much good anymore (used to do about 10-15mins on track before going 'off') so I had the Stoptech front kit off the 2006 Zen Performance car, initially with the axxis pads and then later, once I got used to them, I upgraded to the Pagid Blues shown here

An engine oil, gearbox oil, and rear diff oil was replaced courtesy of Opie Oils - Performance and Heating Oils

A sox-japoc Rolling Road Day was held 'darn sarrf' (Torque of the Devil) which I went to, good to meet up with everyone again and meet a few new faces.

I kept the del monte stickers from Round 4 of 2006 TA because they gave us gallons of fruit juices, what a treat! :grin:

It transpired that there was a slight fuelling issue which was limiting the top end power - a pipe had come off FPR.

Off I went to Donny for round one of 2007 Time Attack, Paul took the time (away from his hectic time sorting his own race car out) to adjust my map a little, and a check road map was scheduled after the event.

The track was very busy, and It was difficult to lap much quicker than 1.30, then got a clear run and a 1.28 (what I'd been doing on a track day previously), next session, a 1.26 with still a little more to give with one corner I wasn't consistent on (pointed out by a mate who was a passenger on the previous track day)

Out for the 3 laps, one warm-up, one flying, one cool down. And off I went, pushing harder than before and the lap felt good, but theres always that feeling that you push a bit more (but where is the limit???) I returned to the pits and I'd got a 1.25:564 which I was very pleased with, quickest I'd gone all day, 16th overall.

Speed traps I was doing around 189kph on the back straight (and 8th quickest I think through the shorter chicane section
Old 01 April 2008, 12:09 AM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Default Some more still.....

Onto Round 3 and Knockhill, ( had to miss round 2 Silverstone due to brothers stag do)

a lower strut brace was fitted ( apparantly theres no such thing as too much chassis stiffness!?) and also wrapped the downpipe with some wrap from a group buy on Scoobynet,

also did the turbo blanket, and a bit of reflective material around intercooler inlet pipe. Could do with it all lagged really.

A long ole drive up to Knockhill, did the SIDC 1/2 track day in the morning to get a feel for the track and was getting more confident on the 1st corner (sort of lifts you up then dumps you in the middle of the track).

Had a play with some suspension settings, and tried my new camera kit from 3-cam (www.3-cam.com). In the morning flat spotted a kumho going into the hairpin.

Did it again in the afternoon in the wet (shown at the end of this vid)

Still finding stones now underneath the car, had to come off early to check car, but got 2nd fastest lap (after Mike Payne)that session, it appeared all the big BHP cars couldn't get the traction down. I was pleased with the time, 3 secs slower than my dry lap.

Visited the tyre fitting truck in the rain and they unseated the tyres to get all the stones out that were embedded around the rim.

Onto the hot lap (this time we were given 2 due to the adverse conditions, out to warm up, proper wet now, and onto 1st hot lap, didn't push that much saving it for the 2nd lap, and a 1.06 1st time through, then faster for the 2nd hot lap, going well until last corner, came out sideays and no traction and got a 1.07. The quickest of my laps was still good enough for 7th (I think).

Annoyed i mucked it up, but happy overall, and the car still in one piece, and a long drive home!
Old 01 April 2008, 07:45 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on Dill, get this up to date - stop messing around taking your engine out and getting it fixed for the weekend
Old 01 April 2008, 01:29 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dill_typeR

Still finding stones now underneath the car, had to come off early to check car, but got 2nd fastest lap (after Mike Payne)that session, it appeared all the big BHP cars couldn't get the traction down. I was pleased with the time, 3 secs slower than my dry lap.
Ha ha... Dill that brings back bad memories...
I'm still finding gravel under mine too....
Old 01 April 2008, 06:43 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Come on Dill, get this up to date - stop messing around taking your engine out and getting it fixed for the weekend
Will do, didn't finish until 9pm last night and in at 8 this morning, heads off, and sent away today, found offending leak i gasket, very small indeed, basically the black outer layer had failed, less than paper thick, at least I caught it early.

Dill
Old 02 April 2008, 10:39 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Default cage welded in by Roelands Race Rally

Well got a few pics, sorry about quality, it was cold etc.

This is where I'm up to now.

Cage samples have been sent off and awaiting certificate of whatever for cage.

Still got to get cage painted, prob won't get this done for round 1 of TA.
Tidy up inside, remove door cards(Is mounting the switch gear a hassle?)
Tidy up cables
Boot/Bonnet Pins(or aero catches, spring clips)
the lisy goes on....

[/quote]
Old 02 April 2008, 10:41 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

The 'to do list' as it was....

Got a new seat on the way
Cobra Seats
Got it in GT version as its gonna be tight. This will save me a bit of weight as I'll be able to fit my imola in the passenger side (required for this years TA)

Still to buy/get/do are, essential, ideal, and tarting up tasks

Essential:
Fit rear view mirror*
bonnet catches
wire in Fog light*
FIA Harness
Approved 1kg+ extinguisher (non-powder)
Race Suit
Race Boots
Coolant change with water wetter
G/box oil change
Rear diff oil change
Brake fluid change
Rear brake upgrade to 2 pots
New tyres
*needed for MOT anyhoo

Ideally:
Fit anti surge protection (swirl pot/boost pump)
baffle oil sump
oil cooler/sandwich plate
Fit lightweight Flywheel
Uprated clutch

Tarting tasks:
Paint cage
Paint floor
Fit centre console panel for:
Apexi PFC mount
cigarette lighter (for charging/camera power)
sort out damage caused to paint from old decal removal
Fit oilpan undertray
Front brake ducting (functional but may not have time to sort out)

All this and no chance to get on car and little time to do it
Old 02 April 2008, 10:43 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

My harnesses arrived

2 of the 6 point badgers.

I'll fit them and see how they feel, the 5th point (via 2 leg straps) can be removed if its uncomfortable but is safer, and stops submarining (i ain't going down with seamen!)
So I have my old harness for sale.

The K-sport harness were supplied via........k-sport at a great rate thru Time Attack, good to see a sponsor putting something back into it at competitor level.

My seat has also arrived and I've been battling with that, much harder than i expected to get it to fit right, its only half in, I need some advice on how best to offer them up. Its a right PITA.

Could be to do with the seat bar plates not being exactly level, out by a couple of mm, once its fitted though, I'll drill the passenger side and fit the imola into that.

Need to get cage painted as its discolouring and check underneath to see if paint is required where welds have been made.
Oils on order via opie Opie Oils - Performance and Heating Oils (thanks for sponsoring me again this year Simon, Guy, and team)
They're also sponsoring the other half of Team Monkfish Racing this year - Lister :mrgreen:

A small amount of water coming through into drivers footwell where the cage goes thru to the suspensio mounts requires sealing :x

I want to get the rest of the decals removed tomorrow so I have a 'fresh canvas' to work with this year. John (Dubstar) will hopefully supplying graphics, all ideas and inspiration welcome, we're looking at a theme that can be carried thru on both the Impreza and Neils R33 GTR, and hopefully the website when its up and running!

As I mentioned before just getting the 'small' things done is a great effort (read PITA) for me!

cheers all
Dill
Old 02 April 2008, 10:46 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Some possible graphic designs from Dubstar (Jon)
1st go at messin around with some thoughts.......
fairly easy to cut and apply, it stands out and i don't think there are any other camo cars in TA
and camo is set to explode over the next year...... get in there 1st !

[/
Old 02 April 2008, 10:48 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Got my new seat in....eventually, took hours, and the skin off my knuckles, not as striahgt forward as you think...next is to fit/drill for passenger side.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:49 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

These arrived yesterday, courtesy of Zen, did a good price on them.

TA rules have changed so don't need them, not happy about that, although I'm sure they'll be compulsory for next year.

Theyt look a pain to fit and have to be done 'right', these are the locking ones too which is good for 'road' cars.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:50 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Finally got round to painting the cage.
I asked a spray shop and they said it was too much hassle so wouldn't take it on, there is a spray bay at work but they're flat out for the next 3 weeks.

The paints i used, the can holder was pretty good, seems to make it easier to sweep thw spray movements along and saves your fingers pressing down as much, not that I've ever done any spraying before anyway so have nothing to compare it with.

Not a great colour match, perhaps black would be better?or white?

I did attempt to remove dash and took a small amount off then realised the amount of wires there so decided to leave it in.....All masked up and ready to blow!

I started with some thinners and got high and a headache and rubbed the cage down with scotchbrite.
I used a halfords primer, the spray was much better than the smoothrite cans.

I got 2 coats of primer on with about 2 1/2 cans of paint

Then left it over night with the heaters on in the warm overnight.

Back in on Sunday to finish it off, managed a coat with 2 cans of smoothrite, then had to go and get some more.....

Used 4-5 cans and managed about 2 coats, there are some areas that require attention, ideally all windows would be out, or I'd pay someone to do it, and also behind dash still requires painting.

Then left that overnight in the warm.
So another job off the list.

Are there any guidelines as to how long to leave paint before applying stickers, I was going to apply some anti-fret/impact tape on the door bars and harness bar to prevent scuffing.

Also found what I think is the offending hole, and why I'm getting water in the drivers footwell (right foot/accelerator area), viewed from front of vehicle, suspension mount and bulkhead, drivers side.

tried silcasetting it but too awkward so need some expanding foam or similar?
Old 02 April 2008, 10:51 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Ordered some lengths of roll bar padding to put around the head area, also told clutch/flywheel, wheel bearings, and rear brake shoes have been dispatched so should have everything at the garage ready to fit when I get back next week
Essential:
Fit rear view mirror*
bonnet catches (GOT - RULE CHANGE,NO NEED NOW!)
wire in Fog light*
FIA Harness (GOT - 1 FITTED)
Approved 1kg+ extinguisher (non-powder)
Race Suit
Race Boots
Coolant change with water wetter (ORDERED)
G/box oil change (ORDERED)
Rear diff oil change (ORDERED)
Brake fluid change (ORDERED)
Rear brake upgrade to 2 pots (GOT PARTS-FITTING REQ'D)
New tyres (ORDERED)
Cage Padding (ORDERED)
...and me (89.5kg)Lose weight (in progress 86.5 atm)
*needed for MOT anyhoo

Ideally:
Fit anti surge protection (SOLUTION IN PROGRESS)
baffle oil sump
oil cooler/sandwich plate
Fit lightweight Flywheel (ORDERED)
Uprated clutch (ORDERED)
Induction Heat Shield
Wheel bearings replace (ORDERED)

Tarting tasks:
Paint cage (DONE)
Paint floor
Fit centre console panel for:
a)Apexi PFC mount
b)cigarette lighter (for charging/camera power)
sort out damage caused to paint from old decal removal
Fit oilpan undertray
Front brake ducting (functional but may not have time to sort out)
Driver Seat (FITTED)
Passenger Seat fit
Old 02 April 2008, 10:51 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Well I used my new fandangled seat plate and the passenger side fitted straight in no fuss. Pic to come of seat.

Also removed the heat/crap shields from the mounting brackets for my rear brakes by drilling out the spot welds....

Also managed to clean up the blanks to cover the holes in the floor, 5 each side.

A very messy job, 1st soaked them in thinners, then scraped all the black tar goo off, then soaked them again and used a screwdriver to scrape most of the rest off, then a rage and thinners and they came up like new. Sprayed em with primer then black and fixed them in with silcaset.

Really need to get hole sealed up in engine bay as water pees in when it rains. Started to make a bracket to hold my 12v cigarette lighter in the interseat console, and I'll stick the turbo timer in there too.
Old 02 April 2008, 10:55 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

A friend (pasty palmer) then offered to help and I couldn't refuse....so he had my car foe 2 weeks whilst I couldn't do anything with it. Much indebted to him for all his work!
Pauls bit......
Time for the 1st of my updates on this thread. I've just spent my lunchtime today working on the car and attacking a few bits. I wanted to familiarise myself with the car but just jumped straight in

1st up I mounted the Apexi commander and tided up the cables for it.

Then I decided to try and seal the hole in the bulkhead. for this I used car body filler because I had some handy, I'll see how it dries up and if it works I'll paint it.

Then while that was drying I thought I'd see how the paintwork would come up, we gave the car a quick wash yesterday but the dirt was stuck to the adhesive from the stickers as you can see here

A quick t-cut though and the rear quarter came up like this

Last edited by Dill_typeR; 02 April 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: .
Old 02 April 2008, 10:57 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Finally got some work done on car, last minute.com!
Arrived at garage 1130 and left at 2030 with most of what I wanted doing.

g/box took a bit of persuasion to come off, and lower strut brace had to come off for access too.
Old clutch/flywheel off, clutch had about 1/2mm left to rivets and flywheel was scored/uneven.

Not sure on clutch wear figures but this one had been on since 05 and done around 22k miles with 60-70 1/4's and about 10 track days.Power/tq between 275/240 and 320/280

Also dropped all fluids and put in water wetter and bled system, lots of bubbles/froth out of header (is this just diluted fairy liquid or softner???), in went the silko 10/50 proS eng oil and did g/box and rear diff with syntran.
new flywheel on...

New 'Pink' clutch kit on

Also upgraded rear brakes from 1 pot to @ pot calipers, the OE ones used to wear very unevenly and pads did't last long at all,

I had some new brake shoes just in case as I thought they may be knackered (from sound on slow left handers) but it appears that its the brake shoe metal scraping on the inside of the drum.
Had to put on different back plates and replaced rear bearings too, old ones were fecked anyhoo, still makes scraping sound though. Bled system but only with 5.1, so will use SRF next time I'm back.

New set of toyos o ready for next day (friday at Donny) so the Kuhmos are off and up for sale
Old 02 April 2008, 11:00 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pasty Palmer
Another update

Took the car up to mate Lee today to have the floor plates welded in

the man at work :mrgreen:

After a while we had all of the plates looking like this.

I then sealed them up ready for painting.

The underdash on the drivers side didn't fit properly before so I set about trying to get it to fit better :roll: This then took me around 2 hours to do and it's not perfect because the dash isn't fitted properly but it's better now. I also tidied up the wiring around there too.

I then finished off the polishing. Cliff and I did the majority of the car last night but ran out of time so I finished it today.

And just for good measure a better photo of the apexi commander :mrgreen:

Tonight I'm going to try and secure the fuel lines if I can find the mounts that Dill bought, I've been through the boxes in the car and can't find them so I'm hoping they are in my garage. I also need to paint the floor.
Old 02 April 2008, 11:02 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

PASTY REPORT>>>
Dash was weird mate, it looks like the centre console is in the wrong place

Painted the floor tonight but ran out of paint

Might spray it now it's covered, I just wanted to give it something that would last.
Old 02 April 2008, 11:05 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, nig thanks to Jokn at RASP for doing the work on my car....then friday came....

Got home, and after fitting cage padding etc didn't get to sleep until 1am then had to be up at 5am to get to Donny, still arrived there late and couldn't find the v-power garage so foolishly used bp ultimate which towards the end of the day was showing Det, usually get none on track with v-power.

Brakes were OK, gearbox felt a little sloppy (possibly spring clip come off?), only had 100 miles to drive to Donny to bed in clutch (suhgested 300?) so went on the back roads, even with 250+road miles plus about 5 track sessions still jerky in 1st and reverse put pedal pressure required is much less than before.

Had some coolant (still may have too) issues on track. So didn't get as much track time as I'd like,
lowered the car 10 turns (approx 20 mm) all around which seems to give better turn in. Rear looks slightly high and was a little unstable under hard braking, but maybe adjusting low speed damper further still? so dropped it another turn.
Probaly put all handling out so will need to get it set-up again with camber/castor, rake angle I suppose (haven't got a clue!), toe etc checked.

Laps seemed to be slower than last year, although can now get fuel surge with 1/3rd tank at mcleans whereas last year it occurred with 1/4-1/8 tank so must be cornering quicker.

Still got a few bits to do before round one and try and lose more weight from the car, not overly optimistic as another TA club car was running sub 1.20's on friday I would like to get low 1.20's but we'll see
Old 02 April 2008, 11:07 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

more work by palmster

I've been painting again It is starting to look much much better now, I was a bit worried the other day :|

I've removed the rear wiper mechanism and sealed the hole with duck tape until the bungs arrive.

I also primered the ecu plate, I thought it would look better painted.

I also tidied up the wires under the passenger side of the dash, I still haven't been able to see why the heater doesn't work correctly though

Seat back in tomorrow night ready for headgasket testing on Wednesday & I'm going to try and secure the fuel lines now the painting is done. I have an awful feeling that I'm running out of time

Last edited by Dill_typeR; 02 April 2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02 April 2008, 11:09 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Head gasket confirmed as knackered, car was fine for over 200 miles on trip home off boost, further reinforcing theory that gasket has gone combustion side.

I have a new ally radiator on its way courtesy of Japspeed

Japspeed

Its great for them to offer me this pice of kit which should be a direct replacement.

I'll get it on next week, while engine is out (if it needs to be out )

Last edited by Dill_typeR; 02 April 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02 April 2008, 11:12 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

This was the state of play as at 9pm Monday 31st March....

I thought it was going to be straight forward, and quite simple, especially now I've heard people saying engins can be taken out in 1 hour, 45 minutes and even less.
In my world it takes a lot longer....

Well busy day today, didn't leave until 9pm, never taken an engine out and was told what to undo, and I did it, like a monkey.

Well few hours later, engine massaged out,

Noticed after removing spark leads that its undoubtedly the cleanest part of my car!

then to strip it, i thought again, few bolts and head gaskets could be got at, manifold off, PITA job to remove, very hard to see whats keeping it on when trying to wrench it off.

Then took rocker covers off

Then removed exhaust headers in the process, snapping a bolt, tearing the heat shield, was really surprised how much the heat shield weighed and the exhaust header too. Felt a stainless one in the workshop being fitted and was a considerable weight difference, **** knows how you wrap em tho, looks a right PITA!

Cam belt cover off, it was loose, tensioner may be knacked.

The repair bill is going to be loads, so far, head+rocker gaskets, cam belt, possibly idle pulleys,tensioner pulley, head inspection (skimming if needed) etc etc

fingers crossed I get it all done in time. Big thanks for Cuddy at RASP for letting me in this week as he's already well busy this week, today some lucky ****** getting a MD321 fitted after a hyperflow monster FMIC

Updates to follow...........

Dill
Old 02 April 2008, 11:24 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

This was tuedays work....

Right then, progress update.

Heads off, solvent cleaned and picked up by a company and taken to Hull for inspection and skimming if needed.
Took everything off and placed in order (i watched then did tother side myself)

Leak was found on cylinder most forward on drivers side, black coating missing on gasket for about 1 inch

oiled the mating face and piston and started cleaning...

Came up a bit cleaner, then told that piston face doesn't need to be cleaned! DOH

Back in tomorrow for more work.....
Old 02 April 2008, 11:38 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Progress update.
Jons (dubstar) graphics arrived at home

Head company said heads were flat, just some pitting so its having a small skim. gaskets paid for along with head bolts, rocker gaskets and o'rings, all on their way, couriered today so should be here tomorrow. Also waiting for cam belt and tensioners, and *****!forgot to order new spark plugs.doh.

Also transfered fans to new radiator, sheared two bolts, and had to file some holes to align.

Adjusted suspension back up 5 turns (about 10mm) as I suspect we took it down a little too far at Donny the other week.
partially stripped the thread in one of the adjustment collars - only made of aluminium!
One took ages as the strut thread which adjusts height needed alot of cleaning to allow the collar to turn, grit was preventing it.

Grip tape applied to passenger and drivers side

And some of the series graphics applied - the door card has more bubbles than an aero card, think i strectched it too much before squeedgying! need a pro to help![/quote]
Old 02 April 2008, 11:40 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Old 03 April 2008, 04:32 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very impressive so far.......
Old 03 April 2008, 11:07 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

More progress today, Gaskets arrives and head bolts, got them on, and heads, cams and followers, rocker covers on with new gaskets, had to trim some tabs of them to fit. Just seated manifold on top of insulating spacers (courtesy of carl davey Carl Davey, specialist Subaru Impreza parts supply ) and s sets of gaskets.

Cams back on, and all new pulleys/tensioners apart from one which was the wrong item so need to get another tomorow but that can be fitted with engine in, cam belt on to check timing alignment, all good so far.

Whilst I was awaiting for parts to arrive carried on with graphics and got one side done with team monkfish, it does look good even if I do say so myself. Need to get some thinner 'racing' text though, so will get that sorted for next round. TOW stickers/arrows arrived so they to go on too.

So tomorrow got to reconnect all manifold pipe work, bolt turbo back on and get engine back in.

Cheers
Dill
Old 04 April 2008, 07:30 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good man Dill - keep it up.

See you at the hotel on Saturday

btw - is Pasty coming?

Quick Reply: Team Monkfish Racing