BMW V8 into E36 3 series

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2007, 12:03 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW V8 into E36 3 series

Anybody know someone that's done it ?

I understand the M60 V8 540I 740I has been fitted to the E36 3 series like the ALPINA B8. The major stumbling block being the M60 V8 sump hitting the e36 subframe Alpina made a special sump and oil pump for the B8 but without a genuine alpina chassis number and bill gates wallet it's not really an option.

Any ideas info ?

Cheers Liam
Old 12 December 2007, 04:41 PM
RAMP
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this helps but i put a rover v8 into an E30,Stumbling blocks being the anti roll bar was in the way but i turned it around to clear the sump which i had behind the subframe,The sump itself was cut and made to fit and the strainer also modified,The only reson that i was able to get the deepest point of the sump behind the subframe was because i moved the firewall back as i didnt want the engine to sit too far forward or high as this would have given handling and clearance issues,But this led to other problems in that i had to fit the brake servo inside the car and hand make the manifolds,I think that you would be best to take the sump off the engine and hang the engine in place with a hoist (you will do this a lot of times before you are happy with it) as this will give you a good idea of where the engine needs to sit in relation to getting the gearbox in the right position,This is vital as you do not want the propshaft to be too far out of alignment,You would then be able to see roughly how much room you have for your sump,Engine mounts are easy as long as you get the engine square (ish) i had box section coming out of the subframe at 45 degrees attatched to big rubber cotton reels which were standard Range Rover that i got from my local motor factors. The subframe may be a big issue when you have the engine sitting roughly in place and there simply is not enough room for a sump,You could either try a dry sump set up or modify the subframe,But as the rack is mounted to this you will be limited unless you can either modify and then strengthen it again to overcome the clearance,I did move my steering column across and down without compromising the angle of the uj's to give me more room for the manifold on that side.
Old 13 December 2007, 10:49 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about the 4.4 v8 from the x5? pretty sure they go straight in. something my mate looked at putting in an e30. money was what stopped it.

when he looked at doing it he was told by a fair few people that any bmw engine will fit in any bmw engine bay. how true this is though i don't know.
Old 13 December 2007, 12:51 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
what about the 4.4 v8 from the x5? pretty sure they go straight in. something my mate looked at putting in an e30. money was what stopped it.

when he looked at doing it he was told by a fair few people that any bmw engine will fit in any bmw engine bay. how true this is though i don't know.

I think it's easier to use the 4 litre M60 from the old 540 and 740 as opposed to the X5's 4.4 M62 v8 as it uses a fly by wire throttle instead of the usual cable set up.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:07 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

ah, would it be worth seeing if the sump from the m62 would clear the e36 subframe? reason i ask is i think it'll fit onto the m60. if it does that should be problem solved.

cracking project though. get a decent exhaust on there and it'll sound the dogs danglies!
Old 13 December 2007, 01:27 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

They M60 and M62 have the same sumps which will never clear the e36 subframe it going to either be. Original Alpina B8 sump and oil pump or i'll dry sump it. As for the exhaust a mate of mine will fabricate the headers and exhaust he currently make's the one's for koenegzeg !! So she will sound the nuts.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:38 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

The finished article !!

Name:  pina.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  50.6 KB
Old 13 December 2007, 01:47 PM
austrianscooby
Scooby Regular

look at BMW E30 TUNING SEITE! There are many options!
V8 is the hardest part.. V12 is easier!! (90° V8 and 60° V12)

I also have an E36 as my all-day car and thought about it.. but can't afford 2 cars to build as my scooby is the one who needs more bhp

BMW has got a good system.. nearly everything fits together!!
For the V8 you need other enginemounts (B8 or build them yourself!!) and as said the B8 oilpan and oil pump I think..
The 5-speed manual gearbox from the 3.0V8 fits straight onto the 4.0!!
Uprated clutch will be a good choice..
for a bit more you get a manual 6-speed from the 840i/850i thats the best one for this spec!!
Find a B8 owner nd get his VIN
Old 13 December 2007, 02:46 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
They M60 and M62 have the same sumps which will never clear the e36 subframe it going to either be. Original Alpina B8 sump and oil pump or i'll dry sump it. As for the exhaust a mate of mine will fabricate the headers and exhaust he currently make's the one's for koenegzeg !! So she will sound the nuts.
bummer about the sumps. dry sump it would be cool but still expensive!

result about the exhaust.
Old 13 December 2007, 03:47 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

Just phoned Sytner in the Nottingham the soposed home of all things Alpina for a price on Oil pan engine mounts an the guy asked me what an Alpina B8 was!! Is it a 6 series total waste of time. I shall try and source the parts through germeny.
Old 13 December 2007, 03:52 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by finchyboy
Just phoned Sytner in the Nottingham the soposed home of all things Alpina for a price on Oil pan engine mounts an the guy asked me what an Alpina B8 was!! Is it a 6 series total waste of time. I shall try and source the parts through germeny.
typical main dealers.

my mate ordered some front indicator lenses for his e30 m3 from our local bmw dealers. he went to collect them got them home and they were the wrong ones (e30 m3 ones were shorter than the rest of the e30 range). now they won't change them for the right ones.
Old 13 December 2007, 05:59 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Hi Liam,

There's a fantastic B8 for sale on Pistonheads at the moment.

BMW : alpina b8 4.6 coupe

Now it's a bit expensive, given that you can get one in Germany for about £10-£11k and they're all LHD.

If you already have an E36, it might be more cost and time effective to sell it and purchase one that's already done. Having said that, Hartge put a 5.0 V12 in a compact, so it would probably slip nicely into an E36. Now that would be something!

Matt

Last edited by MattOz; 13 December 2007 at 06:01 PM.