Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Dyno pack tuning fc commander STi V2

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2007, 10:33 AM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno pack tuning fc commander STi V2

Just had my car mapped for next years Midland Hill Climb Championship.
Not running anything special, but thought it useful info for all how it was done. Spec is an Sti V2 RA all standard except Apexi FC, FMIC, Zero sports Induction filter and exhaust.

Car came from Api and it was mapped it on the road for UK fuel (thanks David for a great support as usual). Car ran very well. I fitted a front mount and played around with the intake position. Ran it on Shell jungle juice, I had a flat spot around 4k rpm.

Don’t like dyno rollers as my cozzy used to skip at 400+hp so I started to use PJ Motorsport in Wednesfield WV11 3PX. He always got some good results for me. I talked to Paul who owns the joint about my V2 Sti, he seems to do more and more jap stuff these days. So booked it in.

Paul uses a dyno pack that bolts directly onto the car wheel hubs, so no chance of wheel spin or slippage. Car did 330bhp on first run and showed up over fuelling at 3 to 4k rpm. (boost wasn’t stable either at first).
Paul spent 3 hours modifying the map on my FC commander hand control until fuelling and ignition settings matched the 20psi boost curve. He never changed the boost at any point and managed a health torque curve and upped the power to 375 BHP at the flywheel. The torque figure wasn’t that much better than from the start, but now car pulls well through whole rev range especially once it hits 4250 rpm.

By mapping on a dyno and then road testing my car has been transformed. Paul has new laptop software en route to speed the job up in the future. He’s a no bull**** type of guy and doesnt charge like a wounded rhino for the work.

The data he gives you is great, including testing the DCCD operation and shows clear boost, torque, BHP, Lambda and individual wheel speed/torque data to take with you.

Next off I need to get a boost controller fitted (should have done that first). Having read 911’s efforts on the DCCD controller, using a dyno pack must be an easy way to map engine to boost controller and DCCD controller in each individual gear. Might be cheaper way to improve the car than throwing £000,0000 at more power and suspension mods!

Lets see how it does at Curb next week.

PS. Never going to try and compete with EVO MAN and a few others on this website. Sprinting tin tops was supposed to be for the average man on the street to run his daily road car on a track at the weekends…now that’s a distant memory ehh? (steps off soap box)….
Old 21 March 2007, 06:04 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the power at the hubs?
Old 21 March 2007, 06:09 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

370bhp from the standard 16g....highly unlikely!! Too much is needed to be done on an sti2 to make even 320bhp never mind more. Been there done that in my sti2 over the last 4 years.
Old 21 March 2007, 07:46 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

to be honest mate, a good friend of mine took his rs there and it was 40 brake lower than the other dyno he had been on and because of that i would rather travel to get the car dyno`d, but this is my own opinion and people should take their car where they see fit.
Old 21 March 2007, 11:51 PM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

What a mistake...I quoted a HP figure to all the experts!

I will take 50 bhp off the figure for arguments sake. I am still happy with the way it drives, the service I have had, how the power feels and drives and the fact it feels quick!

Oh yes, I have driven everything from F3000, TVR Chim, Alpha 75 touring car, more ford cosworths than I can remember, Evo4,5,6(ex Damon Hills car),7,8. Porky 996 and 997 and GT3, F Palmer Audi(ex Justin Wilsons car), 6r4's(ex Tony Ponds car), so qualified to understand quick perhaps if not HP figures!

Just thought dyno pack was a good idea. May be I will go to WGT Northwich and see Pip Gardner with his to settle the 'calibration issue'. NO POINT

I will stick with PJM on the basis that I have a bench mark on the first run to work with and can see and feel the benefits during the course of the session as changes are made.

I havent pulled the turbo and engine down to know what internals I have. It didnt run on the usual chips when it was imported and had APEXI FC becuase it was the only way to stop the knock. I think Zen mapped it on the road. He did a great job with a safe map.

The dyno pack session cleaned up the map lower down the rev range to cater for my boost curve and the fuel I am using. Fuel makes huge differences to cozzys so expect scoobys to be the same.

Paul, how much power would you expect to loose from the transmission?
ie figure difference from the hubs to flywheel?
Old 22 March 2007, 12:58 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

I really have no comparative figures for a dynapak, which is why I would be interested to know what you got at the hubs. I did map an STI4 with FMIC which made 285hp at the hubs at Abbey, but I would expect that combo to usually make around 325hp at the "flywheel" on a rolling road type dyno. However I don't have an actual power figure for this car.

A td05 car with an FMIC can make around 330hp on a Dyno Dynamics, but a genuine RA will always make more for a given combo of parts.

For reference an FMIC will often allow an extra 4 degrees of ignition timing over the small slanty intercooler on a good car.

I will be interested to see how the car goes in competition, good luck.
Old 22 March 2007, 07:56 AM
Scooby Regular

Blade:

Do you mean 2007 Midland Championship?
I don't think you are in at Loton Easter??

See Rob's new Hillclimb Diary thread as the Class topic is gathering pace.

This makes 2 Zen Hotrods in the hilllclimb circus! (that I'm aware of)
Old 22 March 2007, 08:41 AM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

911, its AWMMC championship, I won it last year. I dont come up aginst your diary very often. I remember running against Roy at MIRA and again ay Shelsley Walsh. Its more a sprint championship rather than a hill climb. I get to go to Llandow, MIRA, Curb and places like that.

Paul, I hear figures quoted on dyno pack as being anything upto 75bhp loss from flywheel to hubs. I understand on rolling roads its more like 40bhp. My car will do 300+ on the hubs all day long.

The DCCD acted a bit differently than I expected, it allowed the front and rears to run at quite a difference in speed. On a Skyline it adjusts the torque front to rear but keeps the wheel speeds the same. Mine was run locked all the time during tuning.

Does anyone know what the fifth injector does?

we coundnt find anything to indicate it operated at all. If it does we didnt get a fuel/pulse reading.
Old 22 March 2007, 10:09 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

The 5th injector isn't active with a PowerFC, and probably not unless you have a special ECU, it's driven by the same pin on the ECU as the purge valve.

300hp at the hubs on a dynapack is good, and about what I would expect for a "good" car.

Paul
Old 22 March 2007, 12:01 PM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

I am going to play with it tomorrow at a track day to see how it goes.

I am building a wrx autocross car too. I have put a tdo5 turbo on it with the standard bits I pulled out of an wagon. Was thinking of putting an Apexi FC on that too. any ideas on power I might get?
Old 24 March 2007, 07:22 AM
Blademaster
Scooby Regular

List of kills on the track day, Noble, GT3, two Scoobys, Evo 7, R32, 996.

And a set of tyres.....
Old 29 March 2007, 10:04 PM
billsandhu
Scooby Regular

Went to see Paul this week with my mate who had his evo tweaked. Good bloke, and fitted us in at last minute. Left with the car feeling crisper and smoother, and after he had sorted out the fuelling issue, more power too!