Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

(project) is there any other gearbox that will fit an impreza engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2007, 09:49 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default (project) is there any other gearbox that will fit an impreza engine?

im buildng a project mid engine car and i was thinking about using a complete scooby engine, box,suspension and subframe ect and using the front scooby drive shafts to power the rear wheels of the car but i think the gearbox will be two long and stick out the back, is there any other gearboxes that will match up to a subaru engine?
Old 06 February 2007, 10:41 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VW Beetle does.
You turn the CWP round to reverse the drive. Tough bit is the gearchange linkage.
The 4 cylinder Porsche 914 gearbox would be brilliant as the shift linkage is fully engineered for this configuration.

Doubt though that any of them will take the torque of the turbo Impreza engine (?)
Old 06 February 2007, 10:56 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a front wheel drive Subaru box that will fit the EJ range of engines...
Old 07 February 2007, 07:03 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
VW Beetle does.
You turn the CWP round to reverse the drive. Tough bit is the gearchange linkage.
The 4 cylinder Porsche 914 gearbox would be brilliant as the shift linkage is fully engineered for this configuration.

Doubt though that any of them will take the torque of the turbo Impreza engine (?)
Cheers Graham i,ll look in to it but i think those boxes would make it more of a rear engined car i want it to be more mid engined.
Old 07 February 2007, 07:09 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim W
There is a front wheel drive Subaru box that will fit the EJ range of engines...
hmmm, what model would this be mate? a front wheel drive box would definatly be more suitable but depends how much power it would take,it proberly will a maximum of 280lbs/ft torque.
Old 07 February 2007, 09:01 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

porche box..

renault transaxle?
Old 07 February 2007, 05:55 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

I was warned off the Renault Transaxle, and pointed in the direction of the Porsche G50 (IIRC)

Renton, the Impreza was available in 1.6 and 1.8 guises with a fwd box...not sure as to it's strength though...

Another option maybe an Audi A4 box, seeing as they run longitudinal engines...although this would need an adapter plate...IIRC this is the box used in the Westfield XTR4
Old 07 February 2007, 06:06 PM
Scooby Regular

As if by magic, a pic of a Porsche 911 (915 type) box and a 4 x 4 Impreza box!

If you want the engine right in the middle of the car, what about a Porche 944 gearbox/transaxle and then there is just the torque tube to shorten (sort of a propshaft within a tube, bit wierd).
That would give you a strong box, a gear linkage of Porsche modern style and they are CHEAP with an lsd too on some models.
Sounds too good to be true!?

Graham
Old 07 February 2007, 06:30 PM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

I used to build mid engine space frame buggies with toyota starlet turbo engines; This is just crazy- The EDGE Products - The Ballistic

Graham (911)- am sure you'll like this!
Old 07 February 2007, 07:09 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

those buggies really are crazy id love to have a go in one .
the 944 porsche gearbox sounds good how would i find out what gearboxes will match up with the subaru engine? Tim,u mentioned an audi a4 box, how could i find out if the splines will fit into each other? and what driveshafts will fit into them? i originally wanted to fit the complete subaru engine, box,driveshafts, brakes,suspension ect into the rear of the car but the box will be two long as im just using the front shafts in the box to drive the rear wheels. Ive looked on ebay and the porshe 944 and audi boxes seem to be quite cheap, so would the scooby driveshafts fit into an audi or porsch box?
thanks
Old 07 February 2007, 07:51 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

this is definatly sort of set up i am looking for...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...ballistic5.jpg
Old 07 February 2007, 09:31 PM
Scooby Regular

I can assure AFRIKANZ that Ballistic is just so COOL as my daughter would say, looks almost sci-fi! Fab!

As to gearboxes, I can assure you the Impreza driveshafts will not fit the 944 Porsche box. You will need to cut and shut to do that, but i think you will have this problem no matter what unless it is a FWD Impreza box.

Very interesting project.

Graham

Last edited by 911; 07 February 2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07 February 2007, 11:18 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rentonone
Tim,u mentioned an audi a4 box, how could i find out if the splines will fit into each other? and what driveshafts will fit into them?
By giving it a go I guess

My take on this would be to think about it from the angle of fitting a Subaru engine to Audi running gear. That way 'all' you would would need is an adapter plate to mount gearbox to engine, and a custom flywheel made to mount the Audi clutch assembly to a Subaru crank, sounds do-able when you say it...I'll let you know in a few years when I eventually get round to it myself
Old 08 February 2007, 07:59 PM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rentonone
im buildng a project mid engine car and i was thinking about using a complete scooby engine, box,suspension and subframe ect and using the front scooby drive shafts to power the rear wheels of the car but i think the gearbox will be two long and stick out the back, is there any other gearboxes that will match up to a subaru engine?
I am currently part way through a similar project, a Porsche 550 replica

You can use the 2wd Subaru box from a legacy/Impreza. You have to use a clutch from a non-turbo Subaru. I was recommended the N/A 2.5 Forester clutch, by a friend who has done similar in OZ

If you PM me I can email you photos with dimensions of a 2wd box

---

Or the 4wd Turbo box can be made 2wd.

The Saker Sprint uses the Subaru turbo engine mid-mounted. Saker make a splining unit to replace the centre diff and lock drive to the front diff.
You can buy the spline lock and a new rear cover for about £150 from them when I emailed to ask

Turnbull Engineering

Old 09 February 2007, 07:22 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Spyder, this sounds like what im after, do saker still make these kits to lock the centre diff to make it a 2wd box? ive looked on the website but i carnt see one but ive sent them an email, they dont seem to have a buisness in the uk. could you post up some more piccies too.. yhpm..
james
Old 09 February 2007, 07:32 AM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

does anyone know what the measurment is centre to centre of the top of the front shocks on a classic? i would measure it myself but ive sold my scoob. thanks
Old 09 February 2007, 09:05 AM
Richard Olafsson
Scooby Regular

Saker do have a UK rep, dragon motorsports IIRC, a search should find them easily enough...
Rich
Old 09 February 2007, 12:03 PM
Spyder550
Scooby Regular

Hi James as Richard (Hi Rich) says Saker does have UK representative "Red Dragon Autosport" no idea where there are though

I directly emailed the Australian outlet for Saker and this was his reply

G'day Guy,
Yes, we do have the parts to convert the Subaru box to 2wd. The parts for the conversion consist of a machined locking sleeve and a cast aluminium
backing plate for the extension housing. Please note that these items will only suit 5 speed Subaru box, not the 6 speed.

Prices for the parts are as follows:
Convertor sleeve: AUD$120.00
Blanking plate: AUD$110.00
If bought together, total price AUD$210.00
All prices are in Australian dollars and shipping will be additional to these prices.

Please let me know if you would like to go ahead with your order, and don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,
Brett Longhurst,
Saker Cars Australia

Edited the post to include this for the UK rep..
Championships & Clubs : Race : SAKER GT CUP

Last edited by Spyder550; 09 February 2007 at 01:00 PM. Reason: update
Old 09 February 2007, 06:31 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

cheerz Rich and Guy, ive emailed Saker im just waiting for a reply.
Old 09 February 2007, 06:44 PM
rentonone
Scooby Regular

Guy how did you route you gearchange linkage? ive been thinking about using the cable type off a toyota mr2 as there are loads breaking on ebay, not sure how good it will be..

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...tickshift2.jpg