Project good all-rounder!

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2006, 09:50 AM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project good all-rounder!

Hello all.

I currently drive a 1999 DBM Subaru Impreza Turbo which I've owned for the last 8 months. I've done a few bits and pieces to the car in that time but feel it's time for a change. The tax runs out at the end of this month and I'm giving myself until the end of January to complete the car.

What I'm looking to build is (as the title), a good all-rounder. I'll be keeping the exterior of the car very standard but tuning the engine and chassis.

I have to expectations of what BHP I want to make and the car is our family transport so cannot be extreme. There are loads of pojects here for big power/hillclimb cars so I thought I's start a low key, mundane project!! My plans so far:-

Engine -

K&N panel filter (already have)
De-cat downpipe
De-cat centre section (already have)
Aftermarket back box (already have)
Uprated intercooler (open to options)
TD05 turbo
TEK3 Re-map (already have the ECU, just needs to be mapped)
That's as far as I got, again open to opinions.

Chassis -

KYB AGX Shocks with H&R springs
STI c/f strut brace (already have)
Whiteline front and rear 22mm ARB
Whiteline solid drop links all round
Anti-lift kit
Full geometry alignment

Hopefully this will make for a god all-rounder. I know this spec isn't exactly mind blowing and won't win any RR contests but hopefully it'll be great on the road!

Any help, guidance, comments or advise will be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to trawl through preious threads about a similar projects and I'll be trying to do most of the work myself.

Cheers for reading and I'll update soon. This is the car in question:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...Classic004.jpg

Ben

Last edited by Useless; 05 November 2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05 November 2006, 06:40 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben:
Looks great start to me!

I would think about a set of Sti 440cc injectors so you can squeeze the turbo/mapping a bit.
Sti V8 TMIC would be nice, but a stock Sti v3 or younger TMIC would be good.

I would add camber bolts to the suspension list (cheap) as this will allow the alignment technician a lot more freedom to get you a good set-up.

You should end up with a nice car that will excell in the bends.

Graham
Old 05 November 2006, 07:45 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Ben, that list is fairly similar to the spec of my car, which is oddly the same colour as yours with the same wheels....

I have merely lowered mine, not changed the shocks though, i have also fitted a new-age wrx intercooler, which was actually quite easy..... mine is also tek3'd, and made a solid 300/300 on the rollers..... which suits me just fine....

2 things i would suggest you add to your list.... (project creep already!!) lightened flywheel and clutch.... API

Oh, and you may want to look at the braking...!!!!!
Old 05 November 2006, 07:50 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Looks a good outline mate.

Good luck.
Old 06 November 2006, 01:18 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the comments.

As the car is a 99/00 it already has the 440cc injectors so were OK there.

The clutch has just started to slip I think (also juddering when cold) so a new clutch will definately be on the cards!!

Ben
Old 06 November 2006, 01:46 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

they all judder when cold,as long as its fine when hot and uder load then its ok..... good spec for a road car that

from another my99/00 thats gone the td05 route
Old 06 November 2006, 05:51 PM
Scooby Regular

Learn something every day: 440cc in a UK

My 440's got to max duty cycle at 314 bhp./Sti v3 stock engineboost controller
Old 07 November 2006, 04:39 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

I would be adding an uprated fuel pump (walbro) and fuel pressure reg to that list anyway, at 4.0bar differential the 440s should be able to handle the amount of air a TD05 can push.

Andrew...
Old 07 November 2006, 06:16 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

i have a walbro but standard fpr and the 440's are fine on my td05.... could poss improve the situation by increasing fuel pressure,but not absolutly needed.... the only problem being that you need to get all the uprated bits fitted first before the remap,if afterwards you decide to add anything else like an fpr then its a complete reflash of the ecutek needed.
Old 07 November 2006, 08:39 PM
New_scooby_04

This may be of interest to you regarding the power side of the equation mate:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html

Ns04
Old 11 November 2006, 06:04 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
This may be of interest to you regarding the power side of the equation mate:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...xperience.html

Ns04
Cheers mate.

Just the inspiration I've been looking for. I took my old WRX off the road this time last year to do some work on it too. Three months later I sold it for my current car. I hate having the car off the road!!

Hopefully it won't take as long and the end result will be worth it!!

Ben
Old 11 November 2006, 06:12 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

I seem to have made a massive oversight on this project..................brakes!!

I haven't really looked into what set-up would be best on the road. Has anyone got any suggestions please? I can't go for a massively expensive set-up as this is project on an extreme budget too!!

Ben
Old 11 November 2006, 06:48 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i have the same car and my brakes are Ferrodo DS2500 with Pagid Gp N grooved discs, i think they work fine and will be happy enough for the time being (even when i take it to the ring), have a look at my project in this forum for engine stuff, even though i'm not quite finished just yet
Old 11 November 2006, 07:08 PM
Scooby Regular

My hillclimb/road car uses stock Sti v3 4 pots/discs and Pagid blue pads, stops ok for me with 380 bhp.
Old 11 November 2006, 08:23 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

But how many seconds do you think they have to work for Graham? Not really a comparison IMO and we don't know what useless will end up driving the car like or where...

F
Old 11 November 2006, 09:59 PM
Scooby Regular

Agree, that is why I said hillclimb car to qualify my opinion!
I am sure if the car was taken round a track things will fade PDQ.
Drive the car on the road and all will be fine.
Anticipate while driving and panic braking will not be needed. A hillclimb is similar to a good run down a favorite country lane knowing nothing is coming the other way.
Ben wants a good all-rounder, does not mention any track 'activity', and I think the car is a UK turbo so could have the Sti brakes already. My UK turbo of the same year did, but stand to be corrected.
The Pagid Blue pads were a big improvement over the Green Stuff pads, and have survived several runs where the discs on the front were blue afterwards.
Perhaps I should add that my rear discs are ventillated, doubt that makes much difference, but still have the green stuff pads as Pagid don't yet do Blue pads for the rears.

Graham.

Last edited by 911; 11 November 2006 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11 November 2006, 11:42 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replys chaps.

My car has the 4 pot calipers with 295mm discs as per 99/00 spec. I've been looking into various alternatives - uprating discs and pads, bigger disc conversion, etc, etc.

I'm still no closer to a decision but do like the Prodrive Alcon upgrade a lot. I hink I'll try and source a second hand set although rare and hen's teeth spring to mind!!

We shall see. I haven't been on any track days as yet but it is something that I want to think about in the future. At the moment our new arrival (three week old girl) is taking up all my time.

Ben
Old 12 November 2006, 08:14 AM
Scooby Regular

Children do take up time! Wait till they are 3 + ........

The Prodrive brakes certainly do look great, and several sets do arrive on Snet.
About a month ago a set went for £550. I think the discs are 'special' though (read $$$). They also need 17'' rims.
Graham.
Old 12 November 2006, 05:40 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
Children do take up time! Wait till they are 3 + ........

The Prodrive brakes certainly do look great, and several sets do arrive on Snet.
About a month ago a set went for £550. I think the discs are 'special' though (read $$$). They also need 17'' rims.
Graham.
Ah.

I'm going to be sticking with the MY99/00 standard 16" alloys wheels and trying to keep the car as standard looking as possile.

Perhaps I'll look at disc/pad upgrades, along with changing to braided hoses and uprating the brake fluid. I've heard good reviews about black diamond stuff - any other recommendations?

Ben
Old 12 November 2006, 08:48 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Ben,

If you aim to keep 16's, don't even think about bigger discs, Ian at Godspeed does do a 308mm kit, but that doesn't use the subaru caliper, so the best bet for you is to keep the original calipers, and like you say, change to better discs and pads.....
You could do worse than to ring Alyn at ASPerformance on 0191 410 3770, tell him what you want your brakes to do, and he'll tell you what discs and pads you want, he has a LOT of experience..... mention Scoobynet for a decent price too...!!! it's also worth thinking about rear pads, it surprised me what happened to my car when i upgraded the rears...
Old 12 November 2006, 08:54 PM
VJ_STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Useless
Ah.

I'm going to be sticking with the MY99/00 standard 16" alloys wheels and trying to keep the car as standard looking as possile.

Perhaps I'll look at disc/pad upgrades, along with changing to braided hoses and uprating the brake fluid. I've heard good reviews about black diamond stuff - any other recommendations?

Ben
Ben

If you do decide to go for black diamond then give Triton a call, just had my STi done, was a very VERY good price.
Old 29 November 2006, 12:09 AM
New_scooby_04

Ah.

Ben
Ben,

I find the std calipers and discs are fine with Pagid black pads for road use (320bhp MY99).

That said, when I do need to replace the discs I think I will go for some DBA grooved ones; they seem to be getting good reviews.

Ns04
Old 29 November 2006, 08:05 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can get DBA split bell/rotor version then that would be even better. They fit std calipers too IIRC.

F
Old 01 December 2006, 10:35 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

I think I'll change to padgid pads, stainless steel hoses and change the fluid and see where that gets me.

It all starts here!! Hopefully Santa will be kind to me this year!!

Ref the TD05 turbo:- what will need to be done to it for it to fit an MY99 car (if anything)? Are there any other turbo's out there that could be recommended? I'm looking for early spool up that won't run out of guts later on in the rev range.

Cheers

Ben
Old 01 December 2006, 11:13 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys.

I think I'll change to padgid pads, stainless steel hoses and change the fluid and see where that gets me.

It all starts here!! Hopefully Santa will be kind to me this year!!

Ref the TD05 turbo:- what will need to be done to it for it to fit an MY99 car (if anything)? Are there any other turbo's out there that could be recommended? I'm looking for early spool up that won't run out of guts later on in the rev range.

Cheers

Ben
As long as you get a front entry TD05, with the coolant pipes, then it'll fit straight on, up-pipe, and downpipe are the same.......i had very slight trouble getting my inlet pipe on, but it went on eventually.....!!
Old 23 December 2006, 05:32 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

So far things haven't progressed as I was hoping.

Hopefully in the new year I'll have more of an update.

At the moment I'm trying to acquire some Godspeed 335mm brakes which would be nice!!

With such a difference made to the front braking, would I need to upgrade the rears at all or could I leave them stock?

Ben
Old 23 December 2006, 06:06 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

So far things haven't progressed as I was hoping.

Hopefully in the new year I'll have more of an update.

At the moment I'm trying to acquire some Godspeed 335mm brakes which would be nice!!

With such a difference made to the front braking, would I need to upgrade the rears at all or could I leave them stock?

Ben

There's a set of 335's in the for sale section.....
Old 26 December 2006, 12:18 AM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Seen and bought!!

Just trying to fit them now, seems a few parts are awol (extended bolts, nuts, etc)

Ben
Old 31 December 2006, 02:01 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Managed to fit the Godspeeds, taking it a little easy for the first few miles to bed the pads in again.

Will post up pics after I have changed the brake fluid for dot 5.1!

Ben
Old 17 February 2007, 02:52 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Hi there.

Haven't addes to this for a while as it seems to be taking longer than antisipated but I guess that's the way it goes!

The only new addition is a set of Tein Super Street coilovers with adjustable top mounts. They are by far the best coilovers I have ever had. The spring rates are 50n/mm front and 40n/mm rear. The fronts are set 6 clicks from soft and the rears 3 clicks from soft.

Next on my list is buying and fitting braided brake hoses to firm the peddle up and then change the fluid for DOT 5.1.

After that it will be changing the turbo/downpipe/remap. Probably not until the summer now though. Our 17 week old daughter is taking up a lot of my time (which I don't mind at all!!) Being a Dad is pretty cool!!

Ben

Quick Reply: Project good all-rounder!