Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Older 87-89 Subaru GL

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2006, 04:45 PM
Anticamper
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older 87-89 Subaru GL

basicly i have a 87-89 subaru GL. not sure the exact year but i can get it soon. anyways i know its not a goddly WRX, but i want to know what i can do to this car in terms of performance. i am completely new to automotive stuff. but yea a few questions:

i was wondering is it even possible to put a newer engine. i belive someone mentioned an ej20 to me? i dunno

also the car has 4wd, what would it take(time and money) to make this AWD? Is it even possible?

realy would it be worth the money to try and revive an older subaru?

i realy would love to take an old nothing car, and make it into something. i would love to completely gut the car and put lots of new stuff in it but i am not sure of its capibilities. My father is a machanic so he can help with anything realy hard but, i am a complete newb to Auto stuff so be gentle ^___^

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2381512

this is almost the same as far as mine. my dad is a machanic and he tells me its a boxer type and from what i gather so is this ej20. so it should fit right?
Old 01 August 2006, 01:18 PM
Anticamper
Scooby Newbie

well it seems that no one can help me with this...

i have looked at some prices for engines and couldn't find many sites. the prices i found were so pricey i am considering just buying say a 99 wrx? any thoughts on it?
Old 01 August 2006, 02:21 PM
scoobiestu
Scooby Regular

to be frankly honest buy the wrx. it will cost a packet to make that car handle 200+bhp and at the end of the day will still look a turd!

save your cash and buy a impreza
Old 02 August 2006, 08:16 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I say go for it! Would be an awesome car when finished. Theres loads of people on here that can give you advice, sorry I'm not one of them!
Old 02 August 2006, 08:55 PM
deanwoodward
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i can understand the reason for doing this go for it nice n stealthy rare to
Old 03 August 2006, 01:07 AM
Anticamper
Scooby Newbie

well i just sorta get the vibe that not to many people here are intrestead in givin me some advice with it. the car would be truely 1 of a kind tho thats for sure. anyways at the current moment, it seems as if it would be better just to buy a running used car or something. by the way is this like a uk forum? iunno. anyways i don't know to much about automotive and it would take alot of help. i don't even know where to look. and i don't know a single suba enthusiest to help me with it. i am not sure what i will do. i'd love to make that car kick alot of ***. the look on peoples faces when they lose to that bucket... it would be priceless.

anyways if anyone is even slightly intrestead in helpin me or even wants to see it work, please give me a messege or something. once we get her outa storage i'll post some pics. that thing is a pain in the *** to find on the net...

one thing i do like about this car is it looks alot like an AE86. i wonder if any sort of visual parts between em would be exchangable?

**edit: i found this lil beauty heh. i sorta wish i had 9k
http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp...5&aff=national

Last edited by Anticamper; 03 August 2006 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03 August 2006, 06:19 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

It's not so much that people aren't interested, more the fact that there will be few if any on this forum that will know anything about the type of Subaru you're thinking of modifying.
It may have a boxer engine but things like ecu, wiring, sensors etc will all give you potential problems in the build.
Even if you decide to strip the car down and decide to transplant a complete wrx set-up into the car i.e. wiring loom, fusebox etc, the difficulty you will come across is actually finding suitable positions to fit these things.
That's only an example, there are many many more. What about things like heater controls, fuel tank and pump etc?
Big big project. It would certainly be different but in my view probably not worth it to be honest.
I don't know anything of the type of car you're wanting to use as this project but to do this purely to be different is futile imo. You'll get bored very quickly when you have continual problems to overcome before it finally sees the road again.
If you were doing it to a very light car (in comparison to a std wrx), then that might make sense, but you're not going to gain anything i don't think doing this conversion to that vehicle.

As an alternative you mention "get it out of storage". Why not do a restoration back to standard and by that i mean as standard as it can get back to factory spec. When finished, you will have a rare commodity which will turn heads and make all the effort put into it worthwhile.
Old 03 August 2006, 09:43 PM
Anticamper
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AlanG
It's not so much that people aren't interested, more the fact that there will be few if any on this forum that will know anything about the type of Subaru you're thinking of modifying.
It may have a boxer engine but things like ecu, wiring, sensors etc will all give you potential problems in the build.
Even if you decide to strip the car down and decide to transplant a complete wrx set-up into the car i.e. wiring loom, fusebox etc, the difficulty you will come across is actually finding suitable positions to fit these things.
That's only an example, there are many many more. What about things like heater controls, fuel tank and pump etc?
Big big project. It would certainly be different but in my view probably not worth it to be honest.

I don't know anything of the type of car you're wanting to use as this project but to do this purely to be different is futile imo. You'll get bored very quickly when you have continual problems to overcome before it finally sees the road again.
If you were doing it to a very light car (in comparison to a std wrx), then that might make sense, but you're not going to gain anything i don't think doing this conversion to that vehicle.

As an alternative you mention "get it out of storage". Why not do a restoration back to standard and by that i mean as standard as it can get back to factory spec. When finished, you will have a rare commodity which will turn heads and make all the effort put into it worthwhile.

First off, thanks for posting. As for the challeges, that isn't a problem in th slightest for me though I do understand this will be alot of work. I knew it would be alot of work from the start. its ok though as I love problems. as for returning it to factory spec, I can't seem to find its engine online. my dad says the part that I need are gonna cost so much, i'd be better off buying a whole new engine. the problem is I don't know any suba-maniacs out here in california who could help me out. I know this forum is mainly wrx and the such but i figured subaru is subaru and that maybe there is someone here that could help me out with it. though it seems like alot of people here are uk-ish lawl.

Anyways, if anyone here knows of a good place/site to get parts for a beast this old, lemme know. Thank you to all of you that have posted about this. I was sorta expecting to get flamed for even suggesting something like this lawl
Old 04 August 2006, 01:20 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

also the car has 4wd, what would it take(time and money) to make this AWD?
4 wheel drive / all wheel drive. Same thing?

What cc engine is in the car you have just now? You say your dad reckons you need a new engine rather than repair what's there, but what is wrong with it?
If it's bearings for example, these can be picked up easily enough in the States i would imagine. All you then need to find is a good machine shop to carry out any regrinding work necessary. Having said that, if your dad is doing the mechanics and has the knowledge and interest of all things automotive, i'd expect he would be aware of suitable engineering companies that can help you out in this department.
If repair isn't an option, then it may be possible to use another boxer engine and transplant your heads/ carbs(?)/injection system over to the new engine.

For help more local to you, i'd be inclined to ask over in the Nasioc forum as there's bound to be someone on there that can give you specifics such as engineering companies/suppliers etc.
Old 05 August 2006, 03:09 AM
Anticamper
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AlanG
4 wheel drive / all wheel drive. Same thing?

What cc engine is in the car you have just now? You say your dad reckons you need a new engine rather than repair what's there, but what is wrong with it?
If it's bearings for example, these can be picked up easily enough in the States i would imagine. All you then need to find is a good machine shop to carry out any regrinding work necessary. Having said that, if your dad is doing the mechanics and has the knowledge and interest of all things automotive, i'd expect he would be aware of suitable engineering companies that can help you out in this department.
If repair isn't an option, then it may be possible to use another boxer engine and transplant your heads/ carbs(?)/injection system over to the new engine.

For help more local to you, i'd be inclined to ask over in the Nasioc forum as there's bound to be someone on there that can give you specifics such as engineering companies/suppliers etc.
AWD is on all the time. i doubt i could just leave my 4WD on all the time. i mean is it realy that simple? O_o my dad said the part we needed is pretty pricey. i don't know the part but he said it might be better money/time wise to just buy a whole new engine. as for that forum, i believe i registered but i never got the email so yea...

Edit: yea for some reason i can't post on their forum. i dunno tho...

Last edited by Anticamper; 05 August 2006 at 03:13 AM.
Old 13 August 2006, 11:46 AM
555Rob555
Scooby Regular

Look mate, I don't want to put you off, but any transplant is a major undertaking. It will involve designing/machining bespoke mounts, manifolds and exhaust. Not mention the overhaul to the entire drivetrain/suspention/brakes.
All this can take many years of development with no gaurantee that it will ever be any good.
Then the possible registering problems If not enough of the original car remains, is it classed as a special?

People have put all kinds of engines into strange cars, but they tend to be engineering geniuses.

The comparitivly small outlay in repairing/replacing the original engine more than outways the ballache and ultimate failure of such a project.

Have I put you off yet??
Old 17 October 2006, 11:57 AM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

yes do it.....i cant see your pics at work but regardless of the car I think you should do it (ive seen a suabru justy converted to WRX power!!!!). I think the reason you have problems getting the sort of support on here you want is that most people are interested in improving their existing car with generally bolt on go faster goodies which are already made for them and thus most (not all) dont have the experience required to give you advice in building whas essentially a hybrid/hotrod. Im not dissin the forum i find it very useful myself but I am from the home build school of thought and am curently putting a WRX turbo engine in my VW camper (its in the readers rides section on this site if your interested). (im also putting a rover K-series in my morris minor but thats another story)

If your up for the project and you think you have the basic skills and patience then yes....go for it - but be prepared for a long road which at times can be very challenging. I cant tell you how to do it cos I havent and TBH I know little about your vehicle....but I can tell you having made engine mounts, fuel tank, radiator set up, chargecooler set up, air suspension, performance brakes, etc etc for my van that anything is possible..and all from bits of cars (many parts sourced cheap from Ebay and the scrapyard). im not an engineer, mechanic etc and I havent got any training or qualifications...im an environmental consultant by day - so if your up for it ...go for it. A lot of it is down to research and this is where forums are great.i draw on all sorts of forums for my info...scoobynet is one - but there are many others ive used to help in the search for info.

Im 3 years into my project - its not just a bolt on of subaru bits into a van its very involved and its taken much thought - i started with structural welding to a solid shell and then its evolved since - im aiming for a show standard finish and a thoroughly thought through project - not jsut a van with a silly engine (there are lots of those out there)

you need to think at what level you want to do this project just the engine bolt in and go - o a show car with lots of suitable mods to make it handle and drive, or a track day car, etc etc.

as for sourcing engines/parts - Grade A do a WRX turbo engine for about £1100-1500 but really if I were in your situation and thinking of using the running gear i would recommend buying a complete running write off/slavage car from which you can take all you need. (in my situation this wasnt worth it as I only wanted the engine). Look out also for subaru legacy turbos - plenty about and whole cars/MOT fails can be had for <£500 ideal for your prject and only a little less power as std than a wrx. They will also provide you your gearbox and anything else you want.

The immobilisers can be got round by using the loom and ignition barel so youll also need this stuff if you buy an engine seperate - unless you go for after market management such as emerald etc.

fuel tank - ive welded a plate into mine to take the subaru pump and return and swirl pot as this is a better/cheaper set up than inline pumps and pots.again in your case look into using other tanks - most cars these days are injection so have the return pipes etc you require and turbos have swirl pots than cna be used.

engine to box - with VW conversions its different of cousrse due to engine being the other way round - but we are lucky that adpator plates are available - on the other hand you are lucky that you already have an engine in the front and thus can easily use the subaru box.

engine supports. get handy with a mig welder then its just a matter of a few quid on some steel box section. tack it all together and check before you seam weld it. Took me 3 days to do mine and get it right.

plumbing - rads are easy for you if you cant use the legacy set up...go to the scrappy and spend a few hours measuring and get one that fits and has the pipes in the right places. I used a Jag XJ 40 rad in the end.

see its all dead simple...id be very interested to see the results...so keep us posted.

For all those doubters -we know our cars will never beat a WRx in any way...but thats not why we build ...its fun for a start. they might handle like a barge but half of it for me is the irony of having an old van that goes like a new car - the ultimate sleeper (for me anyway!) i like Subaru imprezas - but I wouldnt have one because I can buy it off the shelf. its horses for courses.
Old 18 October 2006, 02:18 AM
suberdave
Scooby Newbie

Default do it... ill help with some support

this is not as big of a swap as one may think. i have done 2 now and i may do another this next summer.

i have put a 96 WRX engine in my 1988 GL-10 Wagon.

and a 93 WRX RA engine in a 1987 Turbo coupe.

i took my wagon down to a dyno day at a local shop and put down 20 more horsepower than a 2006 WRX.

-=Suberdave=-
subarus

Last edited by suberdave; 18 October 2006 at 02:21 AM.
Old 18 October 2006, 09:17 AM
richbaker78
Scooby Regular

top rides suberdave! look almost factory!!!
Old 29 December 2006, 10:30 PM
Anticamper
Scooby Newbie

DUDE!!! the bottom one, that looks alot like me car, tho from what i have read, alot of **** changed in the few years dif. i am not sure that mine is an 89. its ether an 88 or 89 but yea, it looks alot like that. same color even!
Old 31 December 2006, 06:01 PM
suberdave
Scooby Newbie

bottom one is an 87, should be the same at a 88 or 89.

last month i sold it, and am now looking for some more upgrades for the wagon...

-=Suberdave=-
subarus