transform my02 1,6 AWD to wrx or sti

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2003, 07:05 AM
vagmag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello guys
i nedd your help!!
i own a 1,6 AWD 5door and i want to transform it to a wrx or better sti.
I do not know what parts do i need so the transformed car will look exactly like a my02 wrx or sti.
i think i need , engine, excaust system, gearbox, electicals, ecu, rear diff, rear brakes........ and what else?
what could all this cost?
please help me.

thank you.
Old 30 June 2003, 12:25 PM
apinto
Scooby Regular

Smile

Better buy a used STI or WRX mate. The cost is too high...unless you buy used parts. Even if u have the money take my advice...donīt do it.
Old 30 June 2003, 08:00 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Don't bother. Sell your current car and buy a real WRX/STi.

The costs and time involved in this conversion would be absolutely prohibitive, as well as the fact that it would be an absolute nightmare to insure.
Old 01 July 2003, 02:42 PM
vagmag
Scooby Regular

thanks guys ... but the cost of one new impreza wrx is over 40,000euros and this an amount of money that i cannot affort.

so my decision is that i will do it. I need your help because i want to find the spare parts and i do not know whato do i need.

thank you
Old 01 July 2003, 06:16 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably best to get hold of a damaged / repairable WRX / STi car and swap over all the engine, transmission, suspendion and electrical bits?

I assume they fit the current shell?

Neil
Old 02 July 2003, 02:39 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

thanks guys ... but the cost of one new impreza wrx is over 40,000euros and this an amount of money that i cannot affort.
You would almost certainly find that your "conversion" would cost very similar money, if not more, if you used new parts and added in the time involved. If you were considering paying someone to do it, buying a new car would certainly be cheaper.

There is also the insurance issue. You would have to insure it on the basis that it was an extensively modified 1.6, and you would likely find it costing considerably more to insure than a "standard" WRX or STi.

About the only way to approach it would be to purchase a written-off (shell damaged) car and transplant the loom, engine, transmission, suspension and interior over. You really need to price this, and the insurance, up before you go any further.
Old 02 July 2003, 03:28 PM
vagmag
Scooby Regular

thank you all for your advices, but the i am thinking to use used spare parts for all the parts maybe except the engine.
The matter of the insurance dosnt change (in Greece) if thre is any modification.
i am thinking of finding the spare parts (from uk, cyprus or Greece)and leave at the end the engine.
SO if you can help me what do i need for differential, suspension, rear axle (because i have brake drums and not discs).