Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Folding mirrors - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2003, 07:27 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Moderators, could you please leave this in general for a while - thankyou.
Just brought some folding mirrors to go on an MY98 - went through search & found the project - it appears some MY98's had the extra wiring, and some did not - guess what, yep , mine hasn't!
I only have 3 wires at each mirror connector, it appears that I need 5, and I only have 7 at the switch end, & I need 9. Do the 2 missing wires go directly from the new mirror to the extra holes in the switch connector, or do they go through something first?
I only ask because the 2 extra wires on each new mirror are different colour.
Sorry to be long winded, hope someone can help me
Old 26 May 2003, 09:50 AM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

All theses views & no-one has had any success with this?

[Edited by pele - 5/26/2003 9:50:43 AM]
Old 27 May 2003, 05:36 PM
RB5108
Scooby Regular

I'm sure we can sort it out between the 3 of us.

Del Boy
Old 27 May 2003, 05:42 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

Luvley Jubley! (it's not hookey gear is it LOL! ) Rodney's changed a lot since the last series
Old 04 June 2003, 11:44 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

Eurika! (sp) I think we cracked it (not the mirror, the problem )
It was as simple as A, B, C in the end.
Old 09 June 2003, 03:28 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

I have a feeling I will have the same issue, would you mind highlighting the A,B, Cs... it would be greatly appreciated
Old 09 June 2003, 10:46 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

necromax - Happy to be of assistance Here goes.
After pulling our collective hairs out, my Husband & I decided to have a look at the car that donated the mirrors (thanks Bryan ), to try & trace the wires & plugs, which was OK until we looked under the dash, where it resembled a birds nest rather than a neat wiring loom Decided to take as much of the existing wiring as we could, which was a great help in eliminating a lot of unwanted wires, but there still seemed to be one missing. We looked at each other, then thought, what the hell - we temorarily ran the 2 missing wires from the switch to the 2 extra wires on the mirror - and it only went & worked didn't it!
So, you need to get 2 extra wires to run from each mirror to the switch - I take it you have the correct switch?
If you need any more help now the waffles finished, e-mail us & we will see how much further we've got
Removal of the glass to have the mirrors sprayed is also fun without any knowledge - I had to put several threads together to work that one out

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2003, 10:42 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

I now have 2 folding mirrors on my car
Got the mirrors back from the paint shop, took about 2 hours to set up the extra wires and fit them, problem is, I may have a flat battery in the moring as I keep having to go out & play with them
Old 20 June 2003, 08:52 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Why not put a how-to guide together for others to use..
Old 23 June 2003, 11:47 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Please & pics

Old 23 June 2003, 12:12 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

You mean you want me to take my car apart again! I'll see if I can persuade my husband to give up a quiet evening - you have no idea how much bad language I had to put up with
If you are anywhere near us, perhaps you could come round & we'll help you do yours - then I can take photos without taking mine apart again

[Edited by pele - 23/06/2003 12:18:37]
Old 13 July 2003, 12:11 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Well, I've listened to Pele's advice.... and it was spot on!

My car is a MY00 UK, and at the switch connector I had 7 wires when you need 9 for the folding switch. At the mirror connector I had the 5 wires required for the folders, although on the UK cars only 3 are currently in use.

Now, although the 2 extra required wires are present at the mirror end (black/white & yellow), they are missing at the switch end, so god knows where they go in the loom. Strange! They must be somewhere, but rather than search the loom for where they actually go, I followed Pele's advice and simply connected 2 wires from the new switch to the 2 terminals on the mirror connector, and they work! I doubted they would, as I wondered where the power would be sourced from, but after viewing the wiring diagram, it became apparent that the 2 wires were all that was missing.

To connect the 2 new wires to the loom, I did the following....

Rather than try and route the new wires from the switch in the centre console, right up to the mirror connectors, I simply pulled up the carpet from the footwells and routed the wires from the centre console straight across the floor to the point where they meet, in the form of a huge multi-plug, under the plastic protector in the footwell. From here, you can clearly see the yellow & black/white wires where they can be joined.

Obviously, this is assuming that you have the 5 wires at the mirror end, as if you don't you will have to route the wires right into the door itself. (fairly difficult)

Good luck!
Old 13 July 2003, 01:20 AM
pele
Scooby Regular

Cool

See, a woman is always right! LOL!
I had to route mine into the door & yes it was a pain to do
(The mirror already has power going to it for the mirror to move, so all that were needed were 2 wires to make it to fold in & out)

[Edited by pele - 7/13/2003 1:23:15 AM]
Old 13 July 2003, 09:40 AM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I will be doing this soon so I will post pics......To be fair its not rocket science !
Old 27 July 2003, 03:47 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So are these mirrors still heated ones as well as folding or have they lost the ability to be heated?

Nick
Old 02 August 2003, 05:52 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Smile

I now have a pair of JDM folding mirrors to do this with, however, i still need to order the switch from the main dealer. Would anyone be able to provide a picture of the required switch so i can be sure what i am looking for?

Car is a MY98 with facelifted interior btw.

I only have the 3 wires in my loom mirror end so it looks as though it will be fun and games when it come to fitting time. I'll be sure to photo-document everything though!
Old 02 August 2003, 10:10 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Carl,

Here is a pic of the switch, but you won't get it from a main dealer as its a JDM part only. No UK spec Imprezas have the switch so you'll have to try Grade A or Townend Garage who will help you out for around a tenner.

As for the wiring, you will probably have 7 wires at your switch end when you need 9, and 3 at your mirror end when you need 5.

These extra two wires simply run from the 2 terminals on the switch to the two connectors on your new mirrors. Straight forward and uncomplicated. The power for the motors gets to the mirrors via the adjuster control so all that is required is a switch signal telling them to retract and vice-versa.

Hope this helps.

Old 03 August 2003, 12:14 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Talizman, thank you for the picture and the rapid response. Nice to know what i'm looking for now.

I'm sure my dealer has been able to import parts in the past, it may not be on their EPC but if i have the part number they may be able to track it down? Do you have the part number?

Failing that i'll get on the case of the fella that supplied the mirrors.
Old 03 August 2003, 12:21 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
hmm I only see a red x,

Old 03 August 2003, 11:47 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Right click the red 'X' and copy an paste the URL into a new browser window.
Old 03 August 2003, 01:00 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

For proper pics, check my website

Old 10 August 2003, 07:12 PM
Double D
Scooby Regular

[Edited by Double D - 10/8/2003 7:13:45 PM]
Old 20 September 2003, 07:29 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok, (finally) got around to doing this yesterday. Took some pics whilst i was waiting for Dad to turn up with some wire.

UK 3-pin connector on standard mirrors.

JDM (5 pin) connector.

Standard 7-pin harness, note spaces on left side where the 2 extra wires need to go.

We robbed two of the female plugs from the section of harness that came attached to the JDM switch and fitted them to the UK harness. Then it was just a case of running the extra wires from the switch to the mirrors. Was a complete PITA threading the wires through the gromets in the door/A-pillar but was worth the effort and looks factory.

By the way, i bought a 6m reel of electrical wire and it wasn't enough. Would suggest anyone attempting has 7-8m handy.

Finished job.

PS: Can the mirrors be set to automatically open and close with engine on/off? I only seem to be able to open and close them on demand via the switch.

PPS: Mirrors came from Glenburgie Subaru and are advertised @ £60 a pair.

[Edited by Carl Davey - 9/20/2003 7:30:48 PM]
Old 20 September 2003, 10:08 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

The mirrors have to be controlled via the switch and not the ignition, cos what if you wanted them retracted whilst driving (through a narrow space for example).

As for the wiring problem you had.....

It is not necessary on all cars to carry out this pain in the *** job, as some Imprezas (mine anyway) already had the 2 required wires at the mirror end of the loom. This meant that all I had to do was join my new wires to the existing 2 wires behind the plastic cover in the footwells. I couldn't be ar$ed tracing the wires any further up the loom, but they must go somewhere, but this is an easy point to splice them and join em'
Old 21 September 2003, 12:15 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i just wondered if it was possible to set them so they retracted automatically as well as having manual control over them.

Lucky for you having some of the loom there! I read in another thread a MY98 owner had the entire loom present... not mine! Bizarre how the looms vary even in models of the same year.
Old 21 September 2003, 12:33 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it...

I am so glad that I had "part" of the loom present as it meant that I didn't need to wire right into the door!

Having said that, if the 2 wires were present at the mirror, but absent at the switch, where the hell do they go in the loom???

Strange.
Old 02 October 2003, 08:47 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Ok, Can anyone tell me which models had these mirrors, as this is something that I am desperatly in need off, parking on the narrow street is not good for manuals or leaving them out.

Simon
Old 08 October 2003, 06:02 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

AFAIK most Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) cars had them, i.e. most imports. Just call any of the breakers and ask for folding mirrors and the centre console switch.
Old 08 October 2003, 07:25 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Try Glenburgie they charged me £70 +vat for the pair including the switch... All the rest grade a etc are charging that much each....Top bunch of peeps...
Old 16 December 2004, 12:25 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CataIunya
Try Glenburgie they charged me £70 +vat for the pair including the switch... All the rest grade a etc are charging that much each....Top bunch of peeps...
got a web link or tel no please catayluna

Quick Reply: Folding mirrors - HELP!