Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

LDperformance Impreza GC8 Gymkhana / FormulaG / FBS

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2017, 07:53 PM
megasquirt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LDperformance Impreza GC8 Gymkhana / FormulaG / FBS

It all started 2 years ago when I found out about the Fueltopia barrel sprint championship. It was easy to enter and also an affordable way to have fun on the track. It is a gymkhana style event so the first job was to make the Subaru to drift, slide, do donuts or whatever you want to call it.

So I bought a DCCD differential from this forum for a good price and fitted it immediately on my stock gearbox. If you are doing this conversion make sure you buy the gear housing of the gearbox too because it is a bit different and the diff is not going to fit straight into non dccd gearbox.

I couldn't wait to try the car, but the results weren't satisfying. The rear diff was viscous LSD and it couldn't lock enough! Than I found open diff with the same ratio and welded it. Please don't comment my welding skills, that's the best I can do

Due to lack of funds you will see that I am trying to achieve best results for minimum cost or ... for free.

The result from welding the diff was that the car finally could drift, it was predictable and easy to drive. Probably the only disadvantage is it started to understeer little more but as soon as I brake traction with the handbrake and floor it, it puts a smile on my face.

Little bit more about the engine performance upgrades:
- td05 20g turbo 1.4 bar boost
- front mount intercooler
- external fuel pump and surge tank
- modified 440 top feed injectors, now 880cc
- standalone ecu tuned and wired by me
- 3inch exhaust .. etc

From very early age I wanted to have a car that starts with a button so when I was making the engine wiring loom and added this:

The start of the season was approaching and here I am at the first round of Formula G. It was a great day, managed to get in top 4.

To be continued... more pictures videos and mods soon.
Old 21 October 2017, 11:37 PM
megasquirt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car was running good, but not enough. Everybody knows that with this Chinese td05 turbo the lag is awful. In formula G the car has to be very responsive and the lag is not helping at all. That is why I bought second hand NOS system. Installation was in fact pretty easy. It came with 50hp nossles which is good for lag reduction. The ECU turns it on at 3000 rpm till 6000. The effect is awesome! The turbo spools up immediately when the NOS is turned on. This is how it looks like now:

Than it was time for the Gymkhana GRID qualifier in the summer of 2016. It took place in Wembley and the top 3 drivers from AWD and RWD class are sent to the FINAL in Greece. It was barrel sprint event and the top 8 times in the AWD class were split in 1 second. Here is a video from the 3/4 place final.

I couldnt bealive that I managed to get 3rd which means that Monster will ship the car to Greece and I will be able to participate in the Gymkhana GRID final 2016!