Unruining an Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2016, 11:35 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unruining an Impreza

Hey guys,

So I bid on an Impreza and won it. I didn't go to pick up the car I know I know but I'm happy with a fixer upper. It's not in bad nick but it's just needing freshened up! But the seller didn't lie but he didn't tell all the things that need sorted.

I'll get some pics up later but my todo list so far are
  • Things to change
  • Window Wipers
  • HID bulbs need changed
  • Headlight Fuse needs changed
  • Apexi AVC-R needs fixed as it doesn't seem to power on
  • Install a Walbro 255
  • Install a Fuelab FPR
  • Rear Brake discs and pads need changed
  • Bleed Brakes whilst I'm there
  • The gearbox has a weird sloppy feeling to it and it's too high so I need to sort that
  • Rust on rear arches needs sorted
  • Washed, Clayed and Sealed
  • Undersealed
  • Suspension is very clunky and loose IMO (I think it needs bushes, ball joints and drop links)
  • Replace induction kit with Standard Airbox
  • Remap
  • KMH to MPH
  • Replace keyfob remote
  • Window washer isn't working
  • Fit front lip

Underlined stuff is done!

It's got loads of "JDM" stuff that I don't know what it does either. It's only been in the uk for 2 months. I'm trying to unruin the car as the last UK owner and Japanese owners seems to have made some IMO poor choices to modding and I'm only discovering that now. Again my fault for not viewing car.

I need to work out some of the random crap I've got under the bonnet and in the car. I've got a Blitz V Fit and under the bonnet a Hot Inzama Type MR.

Pics to follow.

Last edited by Dblock; 31 December 2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10 October 2016, 12:36 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Ok "fixed" the window washer. I'm an idiot. You press the button then pull the lever back.

Here are some pics. I will get the other up when it's bright out. 30second shutter takes way to long.

I'm sure the alloys are Rays gram light 57C which I love. I'll need to take them off to see if they weigh a ton or if they are real rays!

Last edited by Dblock; 10 October 2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10 October 2016, 12:53 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Here is a picture of the Hot Inama

It's a voltage regulator apparently. People in Japan, Thailand and Maylasia (according the forums anyways) love these things. I will probably keep it on as it's JDM yo. But I doubt it actually does anything.

There are a ton of grounding wires too which is cool. I had a grounding kit on my last car and it made a difference to response, idling and smoothness. That was also a JDM but I never seem them used on European cars.
Old 10 October 2016, 08:46 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

was very tempted by this one.......
Old 10 October 2016, 09:52 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Being a version 6 its missing the OEM front lip too...
Old 10 October 2016, 10:08 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Being a version 6 its missing the OEM front lip too...
Sorry does that mean it should have a front lip? Sorry your ellipses is making me read that as it should or am I thinking too much into this?
Old 10 October 2016, 10:12 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Yes it should have this front lip, it was factory fitted to the version 6

Old 10 October 2016, 10:15 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Ahh yes I see.

Where do I source parts like this? Breakers or on the forum?
Old 10 October 2016, 10:16 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

I like your car, so I will help out a fellow Subaru owner

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info.asp?id=10402
Old 10 October 2016, 10:41 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Cheers Banny. You're a good guy.

I'm new to the "Subaru" scene so I just need pointed in the right direction. My last car was a Nissan and I could tell you exactly from who and where to get certain things. I just need to learn my way around the Subaru's.

My jack and axle stands come next week so hopefully I can get some stuff sorted for it!
Old 10 October 2016, 10:51 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Cheers, I dont post so much anymore as the scene has changed dramatically over the last few years and I may leave the fold soon. However there is still some decent members on here that will point you in the right direction, where abouts in Scotland are you? I had some mapping done by Russ @ HQ Perfomance in dalgety bay, good guy and mapping was on point
Old 10 October 2016, 11:20 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Cheers, I dont post so much anymore as the scene has changed dramatically over the last few years and I may leave the fold soon. However there is still some decent members on here that will point you in the right direction, where abouts in Scotland are you? I had some mapping done by Russ @ HQ Perfomance in dalgety bay, good guy and mapping was on point
I live in Dundee. I didn't realise there was someone in Dalgety Bay. That's awesome. I might go there for some work that I can't do like my AVC-R not turning on.

I read something about the scene changing does that mean chavy or something else? I guess with the cars getting cheaper it's allowed someone like me to get into them who wouldn't be able to afford them otherwise but also others who are owners rather than enthusiasts? IMO facebook has really seemed to kill off a lot of forums which is a shame. Seems like there is no etiquette on facebook.

But don't let that stop you, it's perpetual if good members leave then new ones won't join and it's all a big circle.
Old 11 October 2016, 07:42 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dblock
I read something about the scene changing does that mean chavy or something else? I guess with the cars getting cheaper it's allowed someone like me to get into them who wouldn't be able to afford them otherwise but also others who are owners rather than enthusiasts?
It's a bit of both to be honest. But the two seem to go together, unfortunately.

Car gets cheaper to buy, knackers buy and ruin them. In the meantime, knackers have found SN, and ask the same questions over and over again, which causes longer term members to get pissed off and sack it off.

That's not aimed at yourself, it's just the way things have went on here over the last few years.

Looks like a nice car, how has it got scabby arches if it's only been here for 2 months?
Old 11 October 2016, 08:34 PM
lewis87
Scooby Regular

Nice car, I'm not far from Dundee and there quite regular, will be sure to give you a wave!
Old 11 October 2016, 08:37 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lewis87
Nice car, I'm not far from Dundee and there quite regular, will be sure to give you a wave!
Cheers mate, I'll do the same. Although someone in a bugeye gave me a wave today which was cool. In my last Nissan no one waved which was a little bit rubbish.

Originally Posted by mickywrx
It's a bit of both to be honest. But the two seem to go together, unfortunately.

Car gets cheaper to buy, knackers buy and ruin them. In the meantime, knackers have found SN, and ask the same questions over and over again, which causes longer term members to get pissed off and sack it off.

That's not aimed at yourself, it's just the way things have went on here over the last few years.

Looks like a nice car, how has it got scabby arches if it's only been here for 2 months?
No, I understand that. Just the way of the world. But I'm here to learn from those more knowledgable than myself (everyone )
Old 11 October 2016, 09:34 PM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Well I'm waiting on my axle stands and jack coming so I can start working on my car. But until then I've booked it in to see what on the suspension is knackered. Hopefully it's not much. I was thinking (or hoping) it's just the ARB drop links and maybe track rods ends or ball joints. But I'll find out on the 21st.

I also changed and cleaned my battery key fob as it didn't work.

Now it works like a charm!

Last edited by Dblock; 11 October 2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11 October 2016, 10:03 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Old 31 December 2016, 04:32 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Right so it's back!

New Excedy organic clutch, Lightened Competition Clutch Flyhwheel, ARP flywheel bolts and a new spigot bearing.

Also just fitted, new rear discs, pads, shoes, hand brake adjusted, front pads, MPS 4's. Also fitted new ARB drop links front and rear, Superpro Poly ARB bushes front and rear, front ball joints and new tie rods and track rod ends!

Yes it was expensive. Very expensive. But it drives like a dream now. Still a wandering but I just got it back today and I'm going to get it in for a 4 wheel alignment. Also hopefully going to get the timing belt and service done from RA Motorsport in Perth. I'll see if they can help me with my AVCR also!

So It's also had new wipers, new hid kit. I've just sold my other car and I had a nice single din Alpine headunit. The current Impreza one is a double din so I will need to figure out how I can replace it. The current one is JDM but no USB and only tunes radio 2. I need something that can speak to my phone otherwise I'd just get a band expander.

I've been driving the van and the other car which both have about 50ish bhp, so this thing (and I don't speed or anything) scares me lol. I wonder how people with 400bhp feel.
Old 31 December 2016, 08:58 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. The only thing is the HID kit ruins it a bit!!!

Other than that its really nicely done
Old 31 December 2016, 07:47 PM
JonsGreenGoblin
Scooby Regular

Im in Dundee, you may see me about every now and again in my filthy black classic.
Enjoy pal
Old 01 January 2017, 01:32 AM
Dblock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonsGreenGoblin
Im in Dundee, you may see me about every now and again in my filthy black classic.
Enjoy pal
Awesome! I'll wave if I see you about. The more people with imprezas the merrier.
Old 01 January 2017, 06:47 AM
JonsGreenGoblin
Scooby Regular

There used to be a good group of lads Dundee and surrounding areas few years back, organized runs and meets etc. Dunno what happens anymore tbh.
I just go for blasts along scenic routes on my lonesome haha
Old 01 January 2017, 03:27 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

they still do, you,ll find them on scottishscoobies.net
Old 02 January 2017, 09:30 PM
orangeman
Scooby Regular

hi mate nice looking car I'm also from Dundee have a classic sti wagon.