ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Buying an STi (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/996881-buying-an-sti.html)

BLU 08 February 2014 06:05 PM

Buying an STi

Hey guys, hopefully going to look at a Blob WRX STi Type UK tomorrow.
Now I'm fairly mechanically minded and know what to look for in general - but is there anything specific to that model I need to be aware of and have a closer look at?? TIA :thumb::thumb:

Stidara 08 February 2014 06:14 PM

Rear struts knocking

jay-sti 08 February 2014 06:20 PM

Yeah rear struts knocking , clutch slipping depending on mileage , rust forming under spoiler on bootlid

Any more details on the car ??

jpor 08 February 2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jay-sti (Post 11347807)
Yeah rear struts knocking , clutch slipping depending on mileage , rust forming under spoiler on bootlid

Rust under the spoiler on the bootlid? Interesting the 53 plate blob UK STi I owned had both aluminium Bonnet and boot. Had no rust on mine after 8 years of ownership. Must be a problem on the WRX only surely?

BLU 08 February 2014 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jay-sti (Post 11347807)

Rust on boot lid, noted!! Any rust anywhere else to spy, sills? Knew about the rear struts (just an excuse to buy coilies!!)

jay-sti 08 February 2014 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jpor (Post 11347821)
Rust under the spoiler on the bootlid? Interesting the 53 plate blob UK STi I owned had both aluminium Bonnet and boot. Had no rust on mine after 8 years of ownership. Must be a problem on the WRX only surely?

Certainly not only on wrx , I've viewed 9 blob sti"s in 4 months looking for a decent one and 4 or 5 of them had rusty tailgates , finally found a decent one a couple of weeks ago , clutches seem to be about shot at 70k unless well cared for and shocks if not replaced were an issue on most cars I've viewed , seem a couple with rust at the bottom of the front wings were they join the sill too

gazzawrx 08 February 2014 10:25 PM

As already stated, rust under the spoiler, notchy 4th 5th a d 6th gears due to worn syncros, knocking rear struts, noisy rear passenger side wheel bearing, (generally it seems to be this side that fails), rust on bottom of front wings if it has mud flaps fitted and rear anti roll bar bushes. All in all theyre a descent car with only minor common issues barr the syncros in the 6 speed box's. Look after her and she'll look after you.

mje_wrx 08 February 2014 10:46 PM

where you viewing it, few guys on here have been looking and viewed alot. I went to see a few and was warned off as members had been and seen car first. saved me driving hrs for nothing. I finally found mine after few weeks looking.

MattyB1983 09 February 2014 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by jpor (Post 11347821)

Aluminium boot ?? You sure ?

The only newage to have one was the JDM Hawk Spec C.

tubbytommy 09 February 2014 01:14 AM

uk sti and jdm sti's all have steel boot, the only model that has a alluminium one is the hawk spec c

the rust under the spoiler is very common on stis due to where the water sits in the rain channels uner the spoiler.

antonio99er 09 February 2014 08:13 AM

Try and get a picture up of it before you go as it may have been looked at already by a member you never no but good luck anyway

BLU 09 February 2014 12:29 PM

Cheers guys, it was in Flint North Wales - it's been sold already anyways!! :rolleyes:

The search continues.....

antonio99er 09 February 2014 06:58 PM

Really that's where I live matey I have seen it around never mind

BLU 09 February 2014 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by antonio99er (Post 11348787)
Really that's where I live matey I have seen it around never mind

Its no biggie - I'm actually after a Bug but I'll have a Blob if the price is right :D

What do you drive then??

craigyp 09 February 2014 08:49 PM

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...--2004/1891860

oliVeR6 09 February 2014 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11348920)
Its no biggie - I'm actually after a Bug but I'll have a Blob if the price is right :D

What do you drive then??

How much you looking at spending if you don't mind me asking?

antonio99er 09 February 2014 09:48 PM

I've not long bought a 2002 black bugeye but it's not an sti it's just a wrx because I couldn't afford an sti tbh but I've been working a lot lately trying to get some money together to turn it into something that stands out!
I no a lot of people dislike the look of the bugeye but IMO I think a bugeye done right looks outstanding so if that's what you fancy hold out for one!
Il keep my eyes out incase anything catches my eye

BLU 09 February 2014 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by oliVeR6 (Post 11349052)
How much you looking at spending if you don't mind me asking?

Ideally no more than 6k. Money is sat in the bank waiting for the right car to pop up!!

BLU 09 February 2014 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by antonio99er (Post 11349097)
I've not long bought a 2002 black bugeye but it's not an sti it's just a wrx because I couldn't afford an sti tbh but I've been working a lot lately trying to get some money together to turn it into something that stands out!
I no a lot of people dislike the look of the bugeye but IMO I think a bugeye done right looks outstanding so if that's what you fancy hold out for one!
Il keep my eyes out incase anything catches my eye

Cheers fella, I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya when I'm out and about :thumb:

Osimabu 09 February 2014 09:54 PM

More rust (Bug & Blob):

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ame-query.html

Look hard, the plastic hides it very well.

oliVeR6 09 February 2014 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by BLU (Post 11349102)
Ideally no more than 6k. Money is sat in the bank waiting for the right car to pop up!!

Ah right, only asking as my forged hawkeye STI is up for sale and I've dropped the price to consider offers over £10,000 but obviously it's slightly out your budget. Good luck with the search anyway fella :thumb: