ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Female Genital Mutilation (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/996707-female-genital-mutilation.html)

dnc 06 February 2014 10:45 AM

Female Genital Mutilation

We have had the first UK prosecution for FGM.

I think this is a very 'sensitive' subject. Of course it is a big cultural tradition for many in Africa but f*** me it's horrific and young girls are forcibly 'cut', often held down by family members. I don't know what goes through parents' minds to get involved in this :(.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Seems I was guilty of reading the article too quickly before needing to disappear. The first UK prosecution is 'imminent'.

Blue by You 06 February 2014 10:58 AM

Just the thought of such a barbaric practise turns my stomach.
The trouble is that the reasons for this cruelty are based on religion, superstition (same thing?), and tribal custom, so stopping it is going to be nigh on impossible.

warrenm2 06 February 2014 11:05 AM

HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE IT! It is diversity in action, which is good. You are just being racist.

There that's the lefty argument out of the way. In reality, its imported barbarism, and should be treated as GBH at the very least

tony de wonderful 06 February 2014 11:27 AM

Seems to get swept under the carpet.

RA Dunk 06 February 2014 11:41 AM

I think we all know which direction this is going to take and how it's going to end. :content:

hodgy0_2 06 February 2014 11:48 AM

totally barbaric

lets lump in male genital mutilation into the mix too

alcazar 06 February 2014 11:51 AM

To add to this, the BBC reported this morning that ONE IN FIVE UK police forces ignore, or do not treat seriously, so-called honour attacks against women:(

Well, we wanted diversity and cultural differences...we've got 'em! :( :( :(

And the sad thing for me is it's often women arguing that it's RIGHT what goes on.

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 06 February 2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11345863)
totally barbaric

lets lump in male genital mutilation into the mix too

Was going to say that - why isn't circumcision on young boys met with the same outrage?

hodgy0_2 06 February 2014 11:58 AM

yep, we will get all the usual cleaner, healthier bollox

fully understand that some medical circumstances demand it - my older brother had the procedure at 18

but 3 day old baby boys!!!!

RA Dunk 06 February 2014 12:02 PM

Male circumcision isn't really practice here, unless there is reason for it we remain at one with our Foreskins. I know in the likes of the USofA your foreskin is living in fear of the knife at a early age.

Saxo Boy 06 February 2014 12:06 PM

Nuke em'

tony de wonderful 06 February 2014 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat (Post 11345865)
Was going to say that - why isn't circumcision on young boys met with the same outrage?

It's not really the same. If it was like FGM it would be like losing your bell end.

Martin2005 06 February 2014 12:31 PM

Hopefully this case is the first of many prosecutions.

There's no place for this kind of horror in our country

f1_fan 06 February 2014 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11345886)
Hopefully this case is the first of many prosecutions.

There's no place for this kind of horror in our country

Bizarre Magazine?

Martin2005 06 February 2014 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11345920)
Bizarre Magazine?

eh?

Oh I see now. Yes that would seem to be right up their street

ALi-B 06 February 2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11345869)
yep, we will get all the usual cleaner, healthier bollox

fully understand that some medical circumstances demand it - my older brother had the procedure at 18

but 3 day old baby boys!!!!

+1

And many of the medical reasons have been disproven too.

JTaylor 06 February 2014 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11345883)
It's not really the same. If it was like FGM it would be like losing your bell end.

This. I understand the comparison, but without going in to too much detail these two practices have very different consequences.

alcazar 06 February 2014 05:02 PM

I hesitate to ask this, (yes, really!!), but how do the usual suspects on here reconcile NOT allowing this, with their usual stance on cultural and religious freedoms?

Leslie 06 February 2014 05:36 PM

I wonder what is the the justification for such an action.

Les

tony de wonderful 06 February 2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11346016)
This. I understand the comparison, but without going in to too much detail these two practices have very different consequences.

Well both would lead to loss of sensation in a big way.

Chip 06 February 2014 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 11346106)
I wonder what is the the justification for such an action.

Les

Whoaaa Les, where have you been again?

AndyBaker 06 February 2014 05:56 PM

Hi Les

hawky666 06 February 2014 05:57 PM

I'm gonna sound like a complete tit here i know... but what exactly is it they do when they carry this out.
I know what circumcision is on boys.. but until this came up on the news, i had no idea about it.
It sound barbaric, whatever it is. And anything that involves a woman (or man) having their body tampered with without their full knowledge, understanding and ultimately PERMISSION, just has to be totally wrong.
That's about as much as i can comment without knowing the full facts i guess.

JTaylor 06 February 2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 11346116)
Well both would lead to loss of sensation in a big way.

Yes, I know, I was agreeing with you that FGM and circumcision do not produce a comparable loss of sensation. As you say, the comparison would be having the male's glans penis removed.

f1_fan 06 February 2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by hawky666 (Post 11346131)
I'm gonna sound like a complete tit here i know... but what exactly is it they do when they carry this out.
I know what circumcision is on boys.. but until this came up on the news, i had no idea about it.
It sound barbaric, whatever it is. And anything that involves a woman (or man) having their body tampered with without their full knowledge, understanding and ultimately PERMISSION, just has to be totally wrong.
That's about as much as i can comment without knowing the full facts i guess.

http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/key-issues/fgm/definitions

Not a fun read!

Blue by You 06 February 2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11346138)

Man, that is grim reading.

hawky666 06 February 2014 06:19 PM

Jesus.. that's making me feel sick reading it.
How barbaric... and exactly what does anyone believe can be gained from causing such suffering.

hodgy0_2 06 February 2014 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11346136)
Yes, I know, I was agreeing with you that FGM and circumcision do not produce a comparable loss of sensation. As you say, the comparison would be having the male's glans penis removed.

But presumably you agree that both are genital mutilation, just the degree of sensation that is lost

JTaylor 06 February 2014 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11346156)
But presumably you agree that both are genital mutilation, just the degree of sensation that is lost

Yes, it's self-evident, but I'd hesitate to refer to them both as genital mutilation as this implies they're comparable when they're not.

hodgy0_2 06 February 2014 06:51 PM

That may well be true, but both, as you say involve differing levels of butchery to a persons genitals

And as I held each of my newborn children, still hot and fresh from my wife's womb - I viewed both pactices as ancient barbaric tribal rituals that have no place in 21st century humanity