ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Trader Announcements (https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-announcements-363/)
-   -   Reconditioned Brembo Calipers, REBUILD THREAD (https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-announcements-363/995082-reconditioned-brembo-calipers-rebuild-thread.html)

Darrell@Scoobyworx 17 January 2014 07:08 PM

Reconditioned Brembo Calipers, REBUILD THREAD

10 Attachment(s)
We have been sent a full set of Brembo Calipers to recondition by a member off another forum. We have decided to take pictures and document the process best we can

This is ready for stripping

They arnt the worst set we have had but they certainly need some TLC

Attachment 58423

Starting with the rears

Attachment 58424

As usual some of the pad guide plate screws are corroded and need chiseling out

Attachment 58425

Looks to be slight corrosion on the lugs, normally it is worse than this on a bad set, i would rate this mild corrosion.

Attachment 58426

We will update again shortly

We have now Shot blasted the rear halves with the mounting lugs on, as you can see there is pitting/corrosion in various places. Nothing structural though so can all be sorted with our special metal filler.

Attachment 58427

Attachment 58428

We have applied our metal filler which is to be left overnight before been baked in to oven to fully cure in the morning
It may not look pretty now but once sanded back to shape you will see the difference. Once sanded it may be that they require another small application of the filler to tidy up any final blemishes.

Attachment 58429

Attachment 58430

Attachment 58431

Attachment 58432

the shreksta 17 January 2014 07:13 PM

how much to refurb a pair of rear brembo's and paint them red with new decals please

cheers

matt

Darrell@Scoobyworx 17 January 2014 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by the shreksta (Post 11326869)
how much to refurb a pair of rear brembo's and paint them red with new decals please

cheers

matt

£220.92 including a new seal kit and powder coating with decals. This included minor filling work. Major filling may be a little extra

http://www.scoobyworx.com/brembo-2-p...ers-5613-p.asp

Extra's

If mounting lugs need welding £35 per pair of calipers

Re-Thread/Helicoil on stripped threads £12 each if required.

the shreksta 17 January 2014 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx (Post 11326874)
£220.92 including a new seal kit and powder coating with decals. This included minor filling work. Major filling may be a little extra

http://www.scoobyworx.com/brembo-2-p...ers-5613-p.asp

Extra's

If mounting lugs need welding £35 per pair of calipers

Re-Thread/Helicoil on stripped threads £12 each if required.

cheers,whats the turn around time?

JonMc 17 January 2014 07:28 PM

They're some rotten calipers - looking forward to seeing these come together:thumb:

Darrell@Scoobyworx 17 January 2014 07:29 PM

Turn around on clean set needing no filler 2 days generally, more work they need to make them look nice longer it takes, if they need filler and are medium corrosion to bad then it can be 3-7 days with cure times. Also depending on workload and how many sets we currently have in to recondition

Darrell@Scoobyworx 17 January 2014 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 11326891)
They're some rotten calipers - looking forward to seeing these come together:thumb:

Once Shot blasted most brembo calipers look like this. Wait till we start the fronts, they are usually worse :)

the shreksta 17 January 2014 07:33 PM

ok matey,i will have a look when they get removed

Darrell@Scoobyworx 18 January 2014 05:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
The other half of each rear caliper is now blasted and filled.

Attachment 58433

The rears have now also been baked to cure the metal filler, il get these filed down tomorrow hopefully and update again,

Attachment 58434

Now time to start the fronts :)

Attachment 58435

This really isn't what we want. A snapped bleed screw in the fronts. Time to start drilling

Attachment 58436

Attachment 58437

Now we tried drilling and using an easy out and also heating up the housing to try and release the seized bleed screw to no avail, even the easy out snapped in the drilled hole. So i had one final option before arranging for it to be spark eroded (this removes snapped bolts/bleed screws without damaging threads). I went to see Adrian who is a fabrication/welder expert a few units down who is great at solving snapped bleed screw issues, with a washer welded on and then a nut welded to the washer it came out.

Attachment 58438

JC-R 18 January 2014 06:01 PM

Interesting , I like these detail how to threads with lots of pictures :thumb:

Darrell@Scoobyworx 20 January 2014 11:47 PM

8 Attachment(s)
A little more progress

Corrosion on the front calipers is also quite bad, front halves arnt bad though

Attachment 58439

The rear halves are quite corroded, thread repair has already been done prior to us receiving these on one of the calipers

Attachment 58440

Attachment 58441

Attachment 58442

Attachment 58443

Attachment 58444

Filler is applied

Attachment 58445

Attachment 58446

JC-R 21 January 2014 07:41 AM

Why is there so much pitting round the bolt holes ?

Darrell@Scoobyworx 21 January 2014 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by JC-R (Post 11329912)
Why is there so much pitting round the bolt holes ?

Its a common trait of the Brembo calipers, the general opinion of most people is poor quality metal when cast when new. The Subaru 2 pot rears do the same though so it may just be the cast alloy used does this when not protected.

As long as they are structurally sound though once filled and powder coated they will be fine and protected from further corrosion also.

Its to do with the one part been ferrous metal and one been non ferrous metal this accelerates the pitting. I'm sure somebody who knows more about metals and reactions may be able to clarify exactly what happens and why :)

JC-R 21 January 2014 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx (Post 11330006)
Its a common trait of the Brembo calipers, the general opinion of most people is poor quality metal when cast when new. The Subaru 2 pot rears do the same though so it may just be the cast alloy used does this when not protected.

As long as they are structurally sound though once filled and powder coated they will be fine and protected from further corrosion also.

Its to do with the one part been ferrous metal and one been non ferrous metal this accelerates the pitting. I'm sure somebody who knows more about metals and reactions may be able to clarify exactly what happens and why :)

Thanks for such a thorough and good answer :thumb:

BrownPantsRacing 21 January 2014 10:29 AM

Aah, a nice blob of JB Weld to fill the pitting! Used it many times myself! :)

Nice write up!!!!

Darrell@Scoobyworx 30 January 2014 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11330038)
Aah, a nice blob of JB Weld to fill the pitting! Used it many times myself! :)

Nice write up!!!!

Its not JB Weld lol, i wish it was as JB weld is about £10 this is £40 a tin and thinner it uses is special and £20 a tin. £70 a kit with delivery.

This is a special powder coating filler

Darrell@Scoobyworx 30 January 2014 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread but we had a large engine change job on the last few days which has kept us busy

The front halves of the front calipers were the least corroded and these are now completed. The was some corrosion on the face of one which proved a pain and had to be flatted and re coated as it bubbled through the powder coat but looking good now.

The rear halves of the front calipers are currently having their second lot of the filler bakes off in the oven as they needed more work

Attachment 58447

BrownPantsRacing 30 January 2014 05:57 PM

Thats cool. Was wondering as it would have to be electrically conductive to work in powder coating process. JB Weld is, but not much.

Nice job on the calipers!

Darrell@Scoobyworx 30 January 2014 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing (Post 11339120)
Thats cool. Was wondering as it would have to be electrically conductive to work in powder coating process. JB Weld is, but not much.

Nice job on the calipers!

This we use even sands/files off and leaves it shiny like the metal so an invisible repair as such :)

Worlasshasansti 30 January 2014 06:50 PM

Looking forward to seeing how difficult it is to replace the pistons and seals, I've just replaced my front discs and pads today and the front callipers ideally need a strip down and clean, one of the piston seals looked like it was due to be changed aswell.

Nice work

Mick

Darrell@Scoobyworx 31 January 2014 09:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Progress Today........

Final fill cured on the front rear halves

Attachment 58448

Filed and taking shape, be powder coated tomorrow :) after i have done a re-thread as they are shot in this one

Attachment 58449

One of the rear caliper front halves coated and ready for building up

Attachment 58450

mshill 31 January 2014 11:52 PM

Looking good :thumb:

I see you sell a new seal kit, Is this easy to change as mine is leaking on one side?

Darrell@Scoobyworx 01 February 2014 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mshill (Post 11340529)
Looking good :thumb:

I see you sell a new seal kit, Is this easy to change as mine is leaking on one side?

Yes they pop out by using a broddle there is a small recess to pry them out with.

Dai P 01 February 2014 01:28 PM

Can you supply just the outer dust seals Darrell, rather than a complete seal kit?

Good job on the refurb :thumb:

Darrell@Scoobyworx 01 February 2014 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dai P (Post 11340843)
Can you supply just the outer dust seals Darrell, rather than a complete seal kit?

Good job on the refurb :thumb:

Brembo seal kits are only available in full kits, we cant split kits unfortunately as everybody wants the same parts.

mshill 01 February 2014 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Darrell@Scoobyworx (Post 11340657)
Yes they pop out by using a broddle there is a small recess to pry them out with.

will be ordering a set later next week:thumb:

and a broddle?? what is that?

Darrell@Scoobyworx 02 February 2014 06:14 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Ive come in on Sunday to finish these off as i am now getting a backlog of calipers at the minute.

First job was to drill the damaged thread out ready for the re thread

Attachment 58454

Then tap the thread out

Attachment 58455

Fit the re thread stainless thread

Attachment 58456

They need trimming off with a sharp pair of cutters

Attachment 58457

So your left with w nice neat thread

Attachment 58458

Genuine Seal Kits

Attachment 58459

Use Silicone grease on the new seal, smear it round with your finger

Attachment 58460

You have to grease the inside of the new seal also as they are tight to push in otherwise

Attachment 58461

Finally they just need building up tomorrow once we have painted the pad guides and bolts back up :)

Attachment 58462

Darrell@Scoobyworx 02 February 2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by mshill (Post 11341360)
will be ordering a set later next week:thumb:

and a broddle?? what is that?

Broddle is a small tool which you can buy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carpenters...-/290488091472

I use Snap-On ones but this is first i found as an example

Darrell@Scoobyworx 03 February 2014 08:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cleaning up the reads for the guide plate bolts as oem are thread locked in.

Attachment 58463

All built up and finished :)

These turned out to need a hell of a lot or work with filling along with a re thread as well. But they have made a nice set of calipers now finished

Attachment 58464

forgedmarco 03 February 2014 08:55 PM

Very nice indeed :thumb: