ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Dump valves and overfueling (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/993565-dump-valves-and-overfueling.html)

RS_Matt 31 December 2013 12:29 PM

Dump valves and overfueling

The answer why a Blow off valve or VTA makes a car run rich on the over-run is because the Vacuum effect of the Turbo momentarily draws air past the MAF after the throttle is closed and the ECU fuels for it.

On a re-circ BOV the re-cycled air cancels out the vacuum pressure of the Turbo and thus stops new air entering past the MAF.

Jury is still out on a Dump Valve delete and what PSI it would start making the car have a rich fit.

Courtesy of joshnosh!

Cpt Jack Sparrow 31 December 2013 12:35 PM

:banana:

tubbytommy 31 December 2013 12:38 PM

no it fuel for air that should be released back into inlet on recirc, so still fuels for the air released in to atmosphere.

RS_Matt 31 December 2013 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11308188)
no it fuel for air that should be released back into inlet on recirc, so still fuels for the air released in to atmosphere.

But with the throttle still closed that air isn't going back into the inlet anyway?? why does it matter where the air shoots off to? Into the engine bay or towards the turbo/airbox.

banny sti 31 December 2013 02:19 PM

Because the ecu has already accounted for that when it passes the maf, hence the fuel is added. They sound sh1te and make your car run sh1te the end

Raptorman 31 December 2013 02:24 PM

Gonna jump in here with a question.

My 2001 bugeye wrx has a Forge dump valve but I want to change
back to the original recirc valve. What is the part I need to buy?

alcazar 31 December 2013 02:46 PM

Depends if it's running a Forge VTA or a Forge recirculating type.

If it's the latter, just replace it with a standard dealer d/v, or try scrappers.

If it's the former, you may need the pipework.

RS_Matt 31 December 2013 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11308263)
Because the ecu has already accounted for that when it passes the maf, hence the fuel is added. They sound sh1te and make your car run sh1te the end

Yes but when you let off why does it make a difference where the metered air is, the engine won't be using it either way?

banny sti 31 December 2013 07:31 PM

The air does not matter at all but the ecu has already calculated how much fuel you need including that air, hence the car overfuels and does not feel smooth

alcazar 31 December 2013 07:49 PM

Give it up, Banny, this guy wants one........

legacy_gtb 31 December 2013 07:57 PM

Get a better ecu like a syvecs, that lets you remove the maf sensor and you can throw the air about wherever you fancy!

Atmospheric dump valves and maf sensors just don't get on.

swaynie 31 December 2013 11:43 PM

MAF = Recirc

Mafless = VTA

Simples :top:

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11308604)
The air does not matter at all but the ecu has already calculated how much fuel you need including that air, hence the car overfuels and does not feel smooth

When does the car overfuel, as long as the ecu thinks the pressurised air can be used? split second back on boost?

swaynie 01 January 2014 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11309327)
When does the car overfuel, as long as the ecu thinks the pressurised air can be used? split second back on boost?

:facepalm:

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by swaynie (Post 11309332)
:facepalm:

People can tell me the MAF has calculated the air all day long, that a VTA causes rich running, that VTA's don't work well with MAF's all day long or a VTA causes non smooth running it won't answer the why or when. I've been reading the same crap for years, it's the same BS that STI owners throw at the capable Newage engine and gearbox.

legacy_gtb 01 January 2014 05:53 PM

Your question isnt clear, what exactly is it that dont you understand?

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb (Post 11309385)
Your question isnt clear, what exactly is it that dont you understand?

The general consensus is fitting a BOV/DV delete causes rich running for a split second after coming off the throttle. I know the MAF meters the air and the ecu flows fuel to match but why does it make a difference where the unused air dumps to? What causes the rich condition for just that split second considering fueling for 1.5 bar of boost isn't needed when lifting off?

Also with a re-circ does the dumped air rush back to the intercooler or back to the airbox?

swaynie 01 January 2014 06:18 PM

It's not rocket science. The air that is vented is already calculated for by the ecu and fuels for it so this causes overfueling. Overfueling means too much fuel in the mix this can cause bore wash and rough running.

Surely your not this daft.

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by swaynie (Post 11309402)
It's not rocket science. The air that is vented is already calculated for by the ecu and fuels for it so this causes overfueling. Overfueling means too much fuel in the mix this can cause bore wash and rough running.

Surely your not this daft.

But a re-circ vents air away from use, what is the difference? it must be just me lol :lol1:

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 06:33 PM

Does a pressurised air intake force slightly more air into the engine on closed throttle?

ScoobyFanatic33 01 January 2014 06:52 PM

Sorry to jump in but has anyone got a link to the best place to get a syvecs ecu from ?

Can it just be plugged in job done ? Or foes it need some additional works ?

Thank you

Just out of interest what does a dump valve do ? Lol just kidding ;)

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyFanatic33 (Post 11309435)

Just out of interest what does a dump valve do ?

It prevents lift off det and cools cylinders before going back on boost. As a bonus it keeps air flowing the right way to the inlet, relieves stress on turbo blades and or bearings and creates a pleasing air-hydraulic pastiche sound.

marknjayne 01 January 2014 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11309406)
But a re-circ vents air away from use, what is the difference? it must be just me lol :lol1:

a recirc "Recirculates"the air that has already been measured by the air flow meter,it simply recirculates within the system before the turbo ,it does not exit the metered system,if it did exit or (vent to atmosphere) the calculated fuel with be too much fir the air that has already been measured

ScoobyFanatic33 01 January 2014 07:32 PM

Would you mind confirming that mine is a bov and not a recirculating ?

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ted-wrong.html

I'm concerned that the fact mine isn't recirculating is the reason I'm having issues with the current performance in general

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by marknjayne (Post 11309464)
a recirc "Recirculates"the air that has already been measured by the air flow meter,it simply recirculates within the system before the turbo ,it does not exit the metered system,if it did exit or (vent to atmosphere) the calculated fuel with be too much fir the air that has already been measured

But this air isn't being used off throttle, just like vented air. Only way I could see BOV affecting AFR is if you changed gear fast and on throttle the decrease in air volume can't match the fuel.

The only thing I can think of is that on a re-circ set up the moving pistons on the overrun are drawing in slightly more air from the reserves in the intake and I can't see why a deleted system would run rich using this rhetoric.

marknjayne 01 January 2014 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 11309487)
But this air isn't being used off throttle, just like vented air

no its not.....because its still contained witin the "metered" system,when its vented to atmosphere it gone and yet the fuel is still calculated for it being there

mickywrx 01 January 2014 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyFanatic33 (Post 11309435)
Sorry to jump in but has anyone got a link to the best place to get a syvecs ecu from ?

Can it just be plugged in job done ? Or foes it need some additional works ?

Thank you

Simon is probably closest to you: http://www.jollygreenmonster.com/subaru.htm

It's not plug in and go, needs mapping and sensors depending on what you want from it.

mickywrx 01 January 2014 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyFanatic33 (Post 11309481)
Would you mind confirming that mine is a bov and not a recirculating ?

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ted-wrong.html

I'm concerned that the fact mine isn't recirculating is the reason I'm having issues with the current performance in general

Yours isn't a recirc. :thumb:

RS_Matt 01 January 2014 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by marknjayne (Post 11309494)
no its not.....because its still contained witin the "metered" system,when its vented to atmosphere it gone and yet the fuel is still calculated for it being there

...but when you suddenly come off boost that metered air isn't used either way. I can only see a leaky DV causing rich issues and that would be on moderate to elevated boost.

ScoobyFanatic33 01 January 2014 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11309502)
Yours isn't a recirc. :thumb:

:thumb: