ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Xbox One first impressions (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/990923-xbox-one-first-impressions.html)

Littleted 25 November 2013 10:44 AM

Xbox One first impressions

Ok so some of you have them now, can you give me some information on was it worth it.

1. Does the Tv switching thing work or was that all Guff ?
2. I heard Forza 5 isnt as good as 4 and things not working like marketplace ??

Anything would be cool, im debating if not to buy one.

stonejedi 25 November 2013 11:17 AM

Read Shaun's review on this thread here:https://www.scoobynet.com/983500-xbox-one-or-ps4-7.htmlits what convinced me to get one,but I also have the ps4 inbound as well,for me it's all about the consoles individual Exclusives.best of both worlds really or that should read three worlds as the Wii U is already with me,and Super Mario 3D world will be getting rinsed this coming Friday:DSJ.

Shaun 25 November 2013 01:19 PM

Key elements:

XBOX ONE Console
Build quality & aesthetics - Good, bigger unit than original 360 (not by much & not as big as I had expected), feels quite "light" (based on it's size), looks quite retro to me.

Fan noise - little to zero noise from the unit.

OS front-end - Windows "metro" type interface, looks clean imo, takes some getting used to but works well (if you're not used to Win8).

OS functionality - operation is very slick, multi tasking is awesome - it really does work and is extremely fast, very forward thinking imo

Update process - 500MB day one patch to OS, very quick process (from my experience)

Kinect - not tested yet (XBO doesn't need it to function)

Controller - not revolutionary (from 360) but certainly evolutionary, very nice to use, thumbsticks very accurate and precise, rumble on triggers adds a lot to the experience

Smartglass - too early to gauge but I can see how this could assist functionality and experience

GAMES
FORZA 5

Look - Beautiful / Stunning @ 1080p/60fps, stills and YT video do not do this justice

Environments - awesomely rich and detailed - this is what next gen is about, makes the experience so much more, country mile away from 360 imo

Playability - It's Forza!!, varied options and modes but not as expansive as F4 - but still enough there

Killer Instinct
Look - This is a prime example of the 1080 vs 720p argument - this game is 720p and literally blew my brains, it is STUNNING!

Environments - Like Forza, the play area's are just mental imo

Playability - On the money for a fighter, it's manic, over the top, but it all works so well. This is a DLC based game, so some may cringe at that (£32 for the complete experience - well worth that imo)

Overall impressions:
I was surprised at how good the XBO experience is, after expecting ****e based on recent internet discussion. I'm genuinely excited about what a)the ps4 brings to the table and b)what the future of both of these consoles will be.

If this is what we can see from the XBO during launch constraints and little dev knowledge, I can't wait to see what we get over the next 12-18 months.

The XBO has exceeded my expectations so far.

tubbytommy 25 November 2013 01:34 PM

i love mine, im a fifa fan and it plays great on the new xbox, have to admit i havent really looked at the other features yet.
but the game auto saves bits of action you can watch outside of the game, it does this for all games.
i do have forza too but only had a quick go but it looks great in 1080p

Mogsi 25 November 2013 02:14 PM

The TV switching works, but is a little flaky at the moment and doesn't have any guides available so not really worth using. I've actually put my Sky box back on it's own HDMI port as I had a couple of times when the XBO lost the signal or locked up the TV picture.

Kinect. This is one of the things that has really improved and surprised me. I had a go on the Fitness app and did one of the 40minute insanity workouts yesterday ( well worth a download for any fitness gurus ) During the manic 40minutes not once did it lose me from the screen, highlighting very accurately what muscle groups I was using and also reporting back my heart rate ( was only out a couple of BPM as I was also wearing a Garmin ) The playing space you require is also now much smaller than it was on the Xbox 360, so no jumping to the edge of the room to be seen. I'm more than impressed with the Kinect.

Like Shaun has mentioned, I'm genuinely excited to see what they do over the next 18mths plus.

And a couple of in games shots taken mid race during Forza.. Stunning attention to detail.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/Handl...1328&full=true

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/Handl...2728&full=true

Rescue Dude 25 November 2013 02:28 PM

It's not all roses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25087517

Shaun 25 November 2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude (Post 11274965)

Name me one product launch of this magnitude that has not had "problems". It's to be expected and does not appear to be wide spread (I haven't experienced them myself). The PS4 has been no different in reality.

One thing I do take from the episode that was the RROD..... MS reacted proactively and quickly to that issue (with extended warranties etc), so it gives me confidence that MS should do "the right thing", which to me as a consumer, means a lot. Many other manufacturers could learn from MS's previous approach to customer service.

Shaun 25 November 2013 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mogsi (Post 11274957)
Kinect. This is one of the things that has really improved and surprised me.

It's good to hear this and something that appears to be echoed amongst many others. It appeared to be a moot point originally, but feedback suggests it real does work and add value to functionality. I'll give it a bash this week.

Neanderthal 25 November 2013 05:00 PM

I don't get the 'TV' features, surely it just means you've got one more box switched on whilst viewing TV?

Shaun 25 November 2013 08:32 PM

High level information:

Xbox One lets you watch live TV directly from your console. This means you can be playing a game and cut straight to television any time you want, while still receiving Xbox notifications. Users simply need to connect their set top box to their Xbox One and voilą! No more multiple remotes, missed multiplayer matches, or frustrating delays.

Xbox One has its own TV listings guide that can be navigated with your voice. Say “Xbox, what’s on BBC One?” and a list of shows will be displayed. Users can create their own personal favourites list in OneGuide, so they can quickly find the entertainment they are looking for.

ScoobyWon't 25 November 2013 09:29 PM

I really want to get my hands on one.

I ordered two from Amazon this morning when they came available for pre-order.

And have since cancelled them after getting one from Tesco, one from Argos and one direct from M$.

nathanb 02 December 2013 05:26 PM

My xbox doesn't turn my TV on and off when the console is. I've ticked the boxes but when I say 'Xbox on' the TV stays in standby. Any ideas. I'd love to turn them on/off with just my voice.

LSherratt 02 December 2013 05:31 PM

Xbox turn on
Xbox turn off

:D ?

nathanb 02 December 2013 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by nathanb (Post 11282011)
when I say 'Xbox on' the TV stays in standby

I did already say I was doing that didn't i?

stonejedi 02 December 2013 06:35 PM

Have you set you box to English?SJ.

L.J.F 02 December 2013 09:42 PM

I don't think it can control your tv to turn on with voice command.