ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Quick mortgage question (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/983382-quick-mortgage-question.html)

classic Subaru Si 22 August 2013 11:30 AM

Quick mortgage question

Morning peeps, wondering if anyone can clear this up for me - Me and the missus currently live in an apartment that I have a mortgage on, in my name only. Now, in theory could my wife get a mortgage in her own name only and buy a house, without me being involved? I not sure if they take in to account that we are married etc.. Hope this is clear enough for you guy's to understand:lol1:

AndyBaker 22 August 2013 12:39 PM

In theory I suppose if she has the required deposit and the income to cover the repayments.

classic Subaru Si 22 August 2013 12:42 PM

Yes she has. Basically the house we've seen is a wrecker, so we would need to stay in the apartment until its fit for moving in. I can take care of the flat, and she could handle the mortgage etc on the house until we're ready to move in? I just didn't know if they would take in to account my position (mortgage, personal loan etc..) now that we are married?

mamoon2 22 August 2013 01:17 PM

Yes she can, you will have to sign a form to say you have no interest in the house

classic Subaru Si 22 August 2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 11186387)
Yes she can, you will have to sign a form to say you have no interest in the house

Really? why is that?

mamoon2 22 August 2013 01:31 PM

So you can't lay any claim to it.

The mortgage is in her name, so the mortgage company don't want you trying to claim any part of their asset.

classic Subaru Si 22 August 2013 02:34 PM

we could change that eventually though? Maybe when we come to re mortgage for a better deal and do it jointly? Sorry if I sound a bit thick, but never done it before..

mamoon2 22 August 2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si (Post 11186444)
we could change that eventually though? Maybe when we come to re mortgage for a better deal and do it jointly? Sorry if I sound a bit thick, but never done it before..

Not sure on that.

You can get 2 mortgages you know?

classic Subaru Si 22 August 2013 03:57 PM

Ok cheers for the info Mamoon, I'll make an appointment me thinks..

ReallyReallyGoodMeat 22 August 2013 04:27 PM

Is it to get some first-time-buyer deal?

cookstar 22 August 2013 05:17 PM

Yes of course she can, subject to affordability, etc.

I had two residential mortgages on properties I wasn't even living in. There was no forms for my wife to sign either.

Is the property to be let out? If so there are some attractive deals about and anyone can have as many of those as they like, ( or can afford)

Leslie 25 August 2013 01:17 PM

I would have thought that if she convinces the mortgage company that she has all the necessary funds to cover the cost of the house and the mortgage that they would grant the mortgage.

Les