ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Up-pipe for MY99/00 with flexi joint (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/98179-up-pipe-for-my99-00-with-flexi-joint.html)

john banks 21 May 2002 08:49 PM

Sorry not paying attention in class when this was discussed. Is there a nice up-pipe that fits this model with a flexi joint in it like the original (I think I wasn't dreaming when I saw it but could be wrong). I am just wondering if this is giving a lot of the improvements to people that fit a manifold if they do both at the same time? The OEM manifold did not look horrendous, but the up-pipe on the other hand... comments/experience?

Cosie Convert 21 May 2002 08:55 PM

I've got the rigid Scoobysport one on mine and seems fine so far :)
It is made from annealed stainless so it will flex naturally.

BugEyed 21 May 2002 09:42 PM

Mine is not a scoobysport one, but is a "similar" "solid" one. On my MY01 it has been giving the gaskets serious gype, and is now on the point of leaking. I'm looking into a flex jointed replacement. I'd suggest that you re-read D T-S's experiences on Carolyn's STi.

Duncan ;)

Dave T-S 21 May 2002 09:54 PM

MRT up pipe with a flexi joint in appears to be a trick bit of kit.

Cosie Convert 21 May 2002 10:00 PM

I think perhaps the key to success is not to locate the turbo too solidly in the vertical plane. It does after all have a 3" pipe supporting the back end and a 2" pipe supporting the centre.
The rear (down) pipe is bolted to the gearbox in 2 places so it's not going anywhere ;) The top of the uppipe is originally bolted to the head at one side and to the head and block at the other side (95WRX) although I only recall one bracket to the head on JB's car (MY00) :confused: Perhaps that's why you could make it squeek by pushing it John ?
I have left out the bolt that secures the bracket to the block, so the turbo is supported vertically by the up/down pipes but located laterally by the brackets.
This should allow for thermal expansion vertically of the uppipe.
#
Only time and thrash will tell ;) Like the results so far though :)

Andy

john banks 21 May 2002 10:20 PM

Thanks, any way to fit uppipe without taking the turbo off (don't want to do that again :eek: ) or am I just being a wuss again? ;)

Floyd 21 May 2002 10:23 PM

Some aftermarket up pipes have slide type expansion bits but they have been known to leak so choose carefully.

CC's idea may work on the solid one.

"I'll be back".

F

PS sorry about the abstract bit, I was distracted by channel 5....

Floyd 21 May 2002 10:25 PM

Yes, jack the engine off it's mounting, I think.

F

Cosie Convert 21 May 2002 11:27 PM

Mmmm

You need the downpipe out the way to get to the uppipe bolts on the turbo. It's the downpipe that's the pain IMHO !
I'm sure T-uk won't mind another shot at it ;) :D :D

Or it would only take Falkland an hour or so, having ramps. Also the bolts will all come out OK due to being well 'copaslip'd' on assembly :)

I would offer to do it ;) but I'm off to Greece for two weeks tomorrow :) Hope David Wallis hasn't drunk it dry :D :D

Andy

T-uk 22 May 2002 01:40 PM

I knew this was coming :rolleyes: ,no problem helping fit a new,better up-pipe,as long as we are fitting a bigger turbo at the same time :p ,go on John,know you want to ;) .

john banks 22 May 2002 01:46 PM

This REALLY is getting to the limit to keep it reliable IMHO ;) (gearbox and clutch) - engine is fine. It is considerably quicker now than when we fitted the turbo but I'm not bringing it near you or you will put that deafening exhaust on it :p :D :)

[Edited by john banks - 5/22/2002 1:47:04 PM]