ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ICE (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/)
-   -   Boot Space with Sub (https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/976142-boot-space-with-sub.html)

Frenchwood 29 May 2013 07:51 PM

Boot Space with Sub

Ok, so with my 12" sub in the boot of my 'loon, I have naff all space, and no, I'm not chavtastic, but the standard subaru speakers suck and can take nothing below 80hz so I have them high pass filtered from my HU, with the sub giving me all the bass until I can arrange/source something a little better.

Anyway, I digress. Has anyone come up with any "inventive" ideas or boot builds that leave a sensible amount of space?

I'm tempted to do a boot build to try and reclaim some space, but I just know I'll end up doing a twin 12" sub setup as I have another sub and amp doing nothing in my shed.

Opinions, ideas and even pictures would help!!

Thanks!

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchwood (Post 11104387)
Ok, so with my 12" sub in the boot of my 'loon, I have naff all space, and no, I'm not chavtastic, but the standard subaru speakers suck and can take nothing below 80hz so I have them high pass filtered from my HU, with the sub giving me all the bass until I can arrange/source something a little better.

Anyway, I digress. Has anyone come up with any "inventive" ideas or boot builds that leave a sensible amount of space?

I'm tempted to do a boot build to try and reclaim some space, but I just know I'll end up doing a twin 12" sub setup as I have another sub and amp doing nothing in my shed.

Thanks!

BTTT

neil-h 30 May 2013 07:19 PM

What size enclosure you using at the moment? And is it ported?

You could always build the box into the spare wheel well. Then build a false floor over the top. That's what I did in my vxr and only lost a couple of inches depth from the boot.

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11105465)
What size enclosure you using at the moment? And is it ported?

You could always build the box into the spare wheel well. Then build a false floor over the top. That's what I did in my vxr and only lost a couple of inches depth from the boot.

Hiya mate.

I'm using a 12" sealed box it's only marginally larger than the sub itself.

I did think about that, but (although its only a space-saver) the thought of running without a spare is not something I can deal with! Lol.

I may have to look into raising the floor slightly to build something in...

Thanks for the idea mate.

neil-h 30 May 2013 08:20 PM

So your probably looking around 1cuft for the internal displacement (a bit more when you allow for wood thickness). Any chance of a photo to see how much boot space it takes up?

Another option potentially is to find a sub that'll run IB (infinite baffle), I.e mounting the sub to the parcel shelf/backseat and using the entire boot as the enclosure (simplistically).

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11105588)
So your probably looking around 1cuft for the internal displacement (a bit more when you allow for wood thickness). Any chance of a photo to see how much boot space it takes up?

Another option potentially is to find a sub that'll run IB (infinite baffle), I.e mounting the sub to the parcel shelf/backseat and using the entire boot as the enclosure (simplistically).

I'll have to take a picture and post up, I'll have to take your word for it on enclosure size, as without measuring the box internally, I have no idea! Lol.

Yeah I could do. ("Free air sub" you mean?) but I don't actually want to spend much if I can get away with it!! Lol.

I don't mind spending on materials though. The sub & amp weren't expensive, and I've had them for years, so it'd be a shame to "chuck em" lol.

neil-h 30 May 2013 08:34 PM

Yeah free air is the same thing, would do away with the enclosure completely then.

The other option is to make something from fibreglass if ya feeling keen.

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11105608)
Yeah free air is the same thing, would do away with the enclosure completely then.

The other option is to make something from fibreglass if ya feeling keen.

Ooooh I've not played with fibreglass and resin'd my fingers together in years... That could be fun!

:lol:

neil-h 30 May 2013 08:43 PM

:lol1: If ya fancy fibreglass then building the box into one corner of the boot should save some space.

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11105627)
:lol1: If ya fancy fibreglass then building the box into one corner of the boot should save some space.

Good plan batman. I'll break out the chicken wire in due course to do some "modelling".

I'll probably go mad with the acoustic mat in due course as well... I can see this getting expensive! ;) :luxhello:

neil-h 30 May 2013 08:55 PM

Lol always the way. With all the best intentions in the world it's never cheap.

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11105649)
Lol always the way. With all the best intentions in the world it's never cheap.

And therein lies the problem! Lol.

As stated, I have another sub and amp, and I can see what's going to happen here, I'm going to end up daisy chaining them! Lol

cuprajake 30 May 2013 09:33 PM

Really depends what you put in the boot

I have my hockey bag that fills the boot completely. My only option is to use the wheel well

From my rough calculations the wheel well give around 50litres of volume, add some wadding to get it up a bit and that's ample for my jl 12" sub

This is where I'm at at the moment.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ps1e003fcb.jpg

Plan is to seal the wheel well and use that as the enclosure.

I'm then going to make a false floor so it's flush and either fit a grill over top if flush mount then carpet.

Other option would be a slim line band pass box along the back seat between the wheel house turrets, will give good sound and keep space for shopping, maybe not a pram though

Jake

neil-h 30 May 2013 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchwood (Post 11105659)
As stated, I have another sub and amp, and I can see what's going to happen here, I'm going to end up daisy chaining them! Lol

Now this is the more fun option :thumb:

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11105713)
Really depends what you put in the boot

I have my hockey bag that fills the boot completely. My only option is to use the wheel well

From my rough calculations the wheel well give around 50litres of volume, add some wadding to get it up a bit and that's ample for my jl 12" sub

This is where I'm at at the moment.

Plan is to seal the wheel well and use that as the enclosure.

I'm then going to make a false floor so it's flush and either fit a grill over top if flush mount then carpet.

Other option would be a slim line band pass box along the back seat between the wheel house turrets, will give good sound and keep space for shopping, maybe not a pram though

Jake

That looks sweet Jake, but I don't like the thought of no spare (call me old fashioned! Lol)

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11105716)

Now this is the more fun option :thumb:

Agreed, however I don't want to spend a lot, as I need to start saving for the inevitable engine rebuild that it's going to need when the 2.5 self destructs! Lol.

Seriously though; I'm going to have to do this on a budget, and I reckon if I start by calculating the airspace needed by the sub in its current enclosure, I can build two "corner" units in against the back seats, leaving the Ski hatch accessible, and sink the amps into the floor leaving vent space for heat dissipation.

That way I can keep the spare wheel and still have some bass!! Lol

cuprajake 30 May 2013 10:06 PM

Aa, green flag lol bass is more important

Frenchwood 30 May 2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11105777)
Aa, green flag lol bass is more important

:lol:

Fair point... Or take out another mortgage and get some run flats! :thumb:

I'll have a think about it...

Besides, if I use the wheel well, I can only have 1 12" sub! Lol.

Beastie 04 June 2013 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Frenchwood (Post 11104387)

Thanks!

You seen these???

Pioneer-TS-WX610A-Bandpass-Spare-Subwoofer

:norty:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Frenchwood 04 June 2013 06:34 AM

Hmmm... Nice concept, but in practice wouldn't it shake the shinola out of the spare wheel retaining bolt? Lol.

Besides, the hawk spare wheel doesn't have e enough depth to hold that! :lol1:

I may have a look at those though, as I'm a pioneer fan! ;)

cuprajake 04 June 2013 07:20 AM

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ps46890e7f.jpg

Mine finished, false floor lifts the boot height up 2" only.

Sounds great,

Frenchwood 04 June 2013 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11109883)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...ps46890e7f.jpg

Mine finished, false floor lifts the boot height up 2" only.

Sounds great,

I like that Jake.

Where is your amp hidden?

cuprajake 04 June 2013 10:09 AM

under the passenger seat

Frenchwood 04 June 2013 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by cuprajake (Post 11109973)
under the passenger seat

:thumb:

I do like the idea. Although if I did that to mine, I could see the grille being crushed in a matter of hours! :lol:

Scoobyn 04 July 2013 08:52 PM

ive got 3 10" subs and still got room for a pram in the boot of the RB5!! how much room do you need?

D4VEW557 04 July 2013 11:03 PM

I started my build about 3 year ago this is how it looked then

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/s...psb722a6d7.jpg

and now it looks the same, i really should finish it

Scoobyn 06 July 2013 08:41 PM

That looks brilliant!

t79boy 03 September 2013 05:19 PM

I am about to buy the pioneer ts-w610a . Anyone installed one ?