ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   DUMP VALVE ADVICE NEEDED!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/969991-dump-valve-advice-needed.html)

mphlly 27 March 2013 10:05 AM

DUMP VALVE ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased a 2007 hawkeye Scooby finally the perfect car for me, has everything I need, lowered, full cat back exhaust, re-mapped to 320-330 bhp however i am missing a dump valve. I am looking for the typical PTTTSSSHHHH sound you would expect from this scooby, can you guys advise me on a good purchase, don't want to spend a massive amount but also don't want to miss out on the loud dump. ANY IDEA'S, LINKS suggestions would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance

trails 27 March 2013 10:17 AM

prepare for a roasting young man... :D

irondrew 27 March 2013 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by trails (Post 11038186)
prepare for a roasting young man... :D

Haha.

OP... Each to their own, if you really must have one crack on. But my advice, if you have finally found the right car then it wont be right for much longer with a fart machine attached to it.

JohnnyBlaze 27 March 2013 10:27 AM

There's a guy on here called tubbytommy, he's pretty much the expert round these parts for anything dump valve related, drop him a pm and he will see you right. He's also pretty clued up on stickers, roof vents and such like.

mphlly 27 March 2013 10:27 AM

LOL, personal pref i guess:

http://www.lkperformance.co.uk/dump-...6?carId=256218

mphlly 27 March 2013 10:28 AM

cheers Johnny

trails 27 March 2013 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by mphlly (Post 11038197)

Have a read, different MY car but same logic applies :thumb:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...alve-help.html

urban 27 March 2013 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by mphlly (Post 11038176)
ANY IDEA'S

Yeah, leave the fcuking standard one alone.

tubbytommy 27 March 2013 10:39 AM

ill sell you one but it wont work unless you have a fake roof vent and wrc sticker kit fitted

YoungY25 27 March 2013 10:42 AM

Alot of people dont like VTA dump valves anymore :Suspiciou

They can be quite fun, but they can also be extremely annoying after a while, which is why I got rid of mine.

With VTA dump valves i find that people who know about cars think your a bit chavvy and people who dont know anything about cars just think your car is knackered lol :Whatever_

veerinder9 27 March 2013 10:47 AM

My advice, take note im 21: bought my scoob 9 months ago, with a dump valve, sounded great but then realised its chavvy, took it off put std recirc back on, didnt miss the sound at all, then went dv'less, sounds even better, also with std recirc or dv'less car runs alot smoother, this is my personal experience, I even put the dv back on to see if it was just me but no, you can notice the diff between the gearchanges, Alot smoother without dv. If anyone thinks this is nonsense then I really don't care, I believe in stating facts on experiences and not on rumours. Do your own experiments :)

Markfey 27 March 2013 10:53 AM

Here's an option, if it's been remapped do some research and see if you can fit an induction cone (K&N etc).

If it's not going to cause problems with your do this and keep the OEM recirc dump. You will get that chav sound you are hoping for as but it wont sound like a bus stopping nor ruin your car.

YoungY25 27 March 2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by veerinder9 (Post 11038217)
also with std recirc or dv'less car runs alot smoother, this is my personal experience, I even put the dv back on to see if it was just me but no, you can notice the diff between the gearchanges, Alot smoother without dv.

100% agree. The difference between a VTA dump valve and a standard recirc dump valve is quite surprising. The car runs ALOT smoother.

tubbytommy 27 March 2013 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by mphlly (Post 11038197)

dump valves are bad enough but bailey ones are the worst kind you can get

veerinder9 27 March 2013 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by YoungY25 (Post 11038225)
100% agree. The difference between a VTA dump valve and a standard recirc dump valve is quite surprising. The car runs ALOT smoother.

Im glad you agree :D when I had dv, the half a second jerk between gearchanges was noticiable, but maybe because the car wasnt mapped and if car is maoped with dv maybe it wont be noticeable?, its amazing how a little thing can affect a car that much

mphlly 27 March 2013 11:04 AM

Why Tubby, I really want one and I know its not everybodys cup of tea but if you know whats the best option for me I would appreciate your advice, cheers

tubbytommy 27 March 2013 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mphlly (Post 11038239)
Why Tubby, I really want one and I know its not everybodys cup of tea but if you know whats the best option for me I would appreciate your advice, cheers

if you really want one avoid bailey or forge they are crap, get a hks as at least they wont leek boost.

they CAN cause running issues.

the best option is leave the one you have fitted already.

mphlly 27 March 2013 11:09 AM

cheers tubby

oldman-wrx 27 March 2013 11:16 AM

VTA dump valves are a marmite item, some love them some hate them. most of us take the view of each to their own lol. I have VTA on mine and quite happy with it, if had bought with recirc then probably would have been quite happy with that

on a more practical point if yours has a recirc valve and you switch to vent to air valve, since mapped for recirc you may need a map tweek. not a 100% on this im sure more knowledgable will advise,

there are technical plus and minus on which valve suggect you do some searches on here and elsewhere before you fork out. If you do decide to buy one buy a good one ( the cheaper ones bring their own problems)

tubbytommy 27 March 2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldman-wrx (Post 11038248)
VTA dump valves are a marmite item, some love them some (tubbytommy ;)) hate them. most of us take the view of each to their own lol. I have VTA on mine and quite happy with it, if had bought with recirc then probably would have been quite happy with that

on a more practical point if yours has a recirc valve and you switch to vent to air valve, since mapped for recirc you may need a map tweek. not a 100% on this im sure more knowledgable will advise,

there are technical plus and minus on which valve suggect you do some searches on here and elsewhere before you fork out. If you do decide to buy one buy a good one ( the cheaper ones bring their own problems)

i dont hate them, i hate wrc graphics and fake roof vents:thumb:
my issue is every few days a new member asks this question.
USE THE BLOODY SEARCH BUTTON.
its not like its an unusual question is it:brickwall

YoungY25 27 March 2013 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11038242)
if you really want one avoid bailey or forge they are crap, get a hks as at least they wont leek boost.

As tubbytommy says avoid the Bailey and Forge type valves.
Mine was an HKS SSQV and it was good quality, prob the best of the bunch TBH.

rich_g3 27 March 2013 11:34 AM

Had a bailey dump valve on my Rb320 for 3 years, sounds just right, performs perfect and never had a problem. Avoid??????????

YoungY25 27 March 2013 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by veerinder9 (Post 11038233)
...but maybe because the car wasnt mapped and if car is maoped with dv maybe it wont be noticeable?, its amazing how a little thing can affect a car that much

Originally Posted by oldman-wrx (Post 11038248)
on a more practical point if yours has a recirc valve and you switch to vent to air valve, since mapped for recirc you may need a map tweek. not a 100% on this im sure more knowledgable will advise

Yeah, see Ive had this conversation with others about the mapping side of things. Technically what a VTA valve is doing is blowing off air which the MAF and ECU has already metered and calculated for the engine. Its not that big of a deal but still cant be great for the car. I dont think its such an issue with the newage Denso ECU but I can imagine it may be on the earlier JECS units. I keep meaning to ask a mapper about it lol

Like veerinder9 and I have said, its more than surprising how much better the car runs with the standard recirc than with the VTA one, so makes you wonder :wonder:

mphlly 27 March 2013 11:37 AM

Thanks Rich, thats what I have been told previously so I was surpirsed by these comments, cheers bud

alcazar 27 March 2013 11:56 AM

See, the problem here isn't just personal preference.

Unless the car is specifically mapped for it, and even then, it's not certain to be OK, the fitting of a VTA dumpvalve WILL cause issues.

Remember the air entering has been metered by the MAF. The ecu then addis fuel to suit, but if you dump most of the air before the fuel goes in, you have over-fuelling.

What's the problem, I hear you say?

Poor mpg.
Can damage any CATs fitted.
Causes borewash, removing lubricant from upper cylinder = more wear.
Causes the oil to be contaminated and thinned by fuel = less lubrication.

So it's not just personal preference, do I like the noise or not, it's a no-brainer: do I want my car to run right, or would I prefer a daft noise?

The only way round it properly is to rum MAF-less;(

And this is now the cue for loads of people to come on and say theirs works fine...
Ask them how they KNOW? because, in truth, they don't.

And remember to ask each and every one whether he will help you to pay any bills caused by following his advice...won't you?
because there will be NO takers, THAT'S how sure they are!!

veerinder9 27 March 2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mphlly (Post 11038272)
Thanks Rich, thats what I have been told previously so I was surpirsed by these comments, cheers bud

Like tubby said get a hks, I had a forge and started leaking when I hit 1.4 bar of boost, couldnt handle it, if you really want one get a hks, see how it goes, all trial and error, thats what I believe, you have to try yourself to see whats better as there will always be people for and against things, these include dumpvalves, tmic, fmics etc etc, go for it mate see what you like, also dont forget to post your results as we always like to hear things from people who have actually carried out these experiments :)

oldman-wrx 27 March 2013 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 11038251)
i dont hate them, i hate wrc graphics and fake roof vents:thumb:
my issue is every few days a new member asks this question.
USE THE BLOODY SEARCH BUTTON.
its not like its an unusual question is it:brickwall

lol had amended my post before you posted ;)

on serious note I agree with you it would make sense for there to be a dump valve thread as a sticky for those with the technical knowledge to put up giving the technical pros and cons.

tubbytommy 27 March 2013 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldman-wrx (Post 11038315)
lol had amended my post before you posted ;)

on serious note I agree with you it would make sense for there to be a dump valve thread as a sticky for those with the technical knowledge to put up giving the technical pros and cons.

it makes no difference what advice is offered, alcazars post above is correct.
will newbs take any notice?? of course not.

before signing up you should have to agree to use the search function before posting, then if you still ask the dump valve question a swift hit with the ban hammer should sort it:thumb:

Orangio 27 March 2013 12:29 PM

lol @ people saying that dump valves on a scooby sounds chavvy

I think you need to look at the car you're driving if you're bothered about looking like a chav :lol1:

legacy_gtb 27 March 2013 12:34 PM

Forge recirc valves are the best of the bunch if you must replace the standard one!

Anybody slating them for leaking boost obviously doesnt realise its action needs tuning with the spring and shim kit!

Oh yeah, atmospheric dump valves arent good ..... but only if youve still got a maf sensor!