ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Fast Hatch to Mega Fast Hatch enginetuner style!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/966961-fast-hatch-to-mega-fast-hatch-enginetuner-style.html)

Jamie330S 09 May 2013 04:23 PM

Is that a screamer pipe by the turbo flange?

bigarf 16 June 2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie330S (Post 11084155)
Is that a screamer pipe by the turbo flange?

its for the external wastegate.:)

jaypSTi 20 June 2013 11:04 PM

1000 miles to go!!

After so many decisions to be made, parts sourced, custom parts created and some very nice final touches. Here she is in all her glory, waiting for me to fire her up and take her home.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...ps728fc86a.jpg

Here is the full spec:
EJ22 block built to 2.35 stroker spec
New heat treated crank
Mahle pistons
Cosworth rods
Cosworth Head gaskets
ACL race bearings
RCM 12mm oil pump
RCM refurb'd Manifold
RCM 14mm head studs
Cylinder Head modification with +1mm cosworth Inconel exhaust valves
RCM Fuel rails
RCM Twisted kit
RCM Ceramic coated Headers
SC GT30+ Billet Turbo
Tial wastegate
Deatschwerks 1000cc Injectors
Bosch 044 Fuel pump with swirl pot
Mocal Catch Tank
Syvecs ECU
Toucan touchscreen interface
Wideband lambda, oil temp, oil pressure, fuel pressure sensors

Enginetuner really have done themselves proud. This is my second build by them now and you can definitely see how they are striving for perfection. The bay looks newer than the day I bought it.
To give you an example.... I had purchased some new perrin radiator stays and a battery clamp ready to fit at home, as I remember them looking a little worse for wear. Enginetuner had already powder coated the oem parts and all nuts and bolts replaced with matching plated equivalent. It looks great and I am now considering relisting the bits I bought. I will try and get some more photos up over the weekend of the finer details.

Before leaving, Martyn took me for a road test to make sure I was happy with the drive. He also explained all the features of the toucan and syvecs setup and about all the sensors that had been fitted and how I could monitor and log them.
Apart from an embarrassing episode with me getting used to the new twin plate clutch, it doesn't feel very much different than before I dropped it off, which is what I was a bit nervous about. Even though we have lost a little displacement, and have strapped on a bigger turbo, it still feels just as responsive low down. It's limited to 4500rpm whilst I run it in but I am certainly not nervous about it being better after 4500rpm, I think that's guaranteed ;)

So.....1000 miles to go and then the fun really begins :norty:

JTinnovations 20 June 2013 11:18 PM

Very nice :)

kennyc 20 June 2013 11:34 PM

Was just thinking about this project today. This will be awesome when running full power!

JonMc 21 June 2013 06:54 AM

Looks vry subtle - if I ever succomb to the need for an engine build I would have to be mad not to use Alan and Co despite them being stuck so far out of the way:thumb:

Fai17 21 June 2013 09:03 AM

That's lovely jay.

Enginetuner have done you a great job.

Jamie330S 21 June 2013 06:15 PM

Please PM your address so I can come and steal that. Looks amazing, happy motoring!

kennyc 12 September 2013 08:43 AM

Any updates :)

jaypSTi 15 September 2013 02:11 PM

Sorry for the lack of updates....been super busy at work and just welcomed a new baby to the family :)

When it came to final mapping a few problems had to be overcome. First of all the cosworth intercooler was not up to scratch. I think around 475bhp was the best it could hit, at only 1.3bar the syvecs was adjusting timing because of charge temperatures. Also, it became apparent that there was a fuel pressure problem as the car was leaning out as boost increased.
The cosworth intercooler was dumped, it only cost just short of £2000 so was chuffed with its efforts. :mad: Its replacement, a perrin front mount kit, which fits much better, is visibly bigger and a much better fitting kit. The oem fpr was also dumped and replaced with a RCM uprated equivalent.
Mapping began again and the next issue was the 1000cc injectors were maxed out. Around 540bhp was seen this time at 1.8bar before the injectors were at 95%. So bye bye 1000cc's, hello DW 1300cc's.

The final results....

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...psadeb4fc7.jpg

This vpower only @ 2.0bar
No problems with air charge temps now, even in the dyno cell with 30c ambient temps. No more fuel pressure problems and the injectors are at just above 50% duty, so plenty of head room there.
To drive it is awesome, squeeze on the throttle in any gear and it just goes :luxhello:

Here is a pic of the new bay....

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1b60e9c7.jpg

I have added a few perrin fancy bits...

I am now awaiting to get my toucan and syvecs communicating through canbus so I can change calibrations with the toucan, as I have ran out of inputs for a cal switch. I think with the new firmwares available this should be possible now, just need to get all the great minds together on it, so we can get it singing from the same hymn book :P
Then we can look at maybe a methanol or race fuel map, to see what this gt30+ billet is made of.

A big thanks again to all at enginetuner, especially MartynJ for his efforts and patience given all the teething problems.

to be continued.......

JTinnovations 15 September 2013 02:29 PM

Very very nice :D

FYI CAN control of CAL is being tested at the moment and I will be down with Martyn to test - on your car I guess! - as soon as we can co-ordinate it. It also allows a single-touch "CAL Override" function that (via Syvecs configuration) allows you to quickly jump to a specified CAL - think of it like an overtake button perhaps :norty:

Might also add touchscreen control of ALS on/off as well since that's available too :)

jaypSTi 15 September 2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by JTinnovations (Post 11209750)
Very very nice :D

FYI CAN control of CAL is being tested at the moment and I will be down with Martyn to test - on your car I guess! - as soon as we can co-ordinate it. It also allows a single-touch "CAL Override" function that (via Syvecs configuration) allows you to quickly jump to a specified CAL - think of it like an overtake button perhaps :norty:

Might also add touchscreen control of ALS on/off as well since that's available too :)

That all sounds delicious :norty:

Martyn mentioned that you might be down for some testing. I am ready when you are :thumb:

MartynJ 16 September 2013 12:28 AM

When I get back from Gibraltar ;)

jaypSTi 15 October 2013 10:19 PM

CAL switching now working through the CAN bus on my toucan. :luxhello:
Thank you to Tim@JTinnovations for making the special journey to help get it updated and tested :thumb:
I now have low/medium/high boost maps available thanks to MartynJ.
I will be returning the car to enginetuner this weekend for another cheeky map :norty:

jameswrx 17 October 2013 08:21 PM

What an awesome car. I know what you mean about what else could you buy! Reason I love my wagons is because of the hatch back, I'd like to think one day a new Hatch will be mine.

I sometimes think the newer Audi S3 might be an option, but all VAG stuff I've driven is dull. And they don't look special either, could just be an A3 diesel.

Kudos to engine tuner for their attention to detail too, looks a great job.

jaypSTi 15 November 2013 12:06 AM

For those who contacted me regarding my old 2.5 from this project....it has now been fully rebuilt and is available for sale here

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...ged-ej257.html

AWG 16 November 2013 07:33 PM

Awesome build thread mate

mickp 22 November 2013 01:37 PM

What a monster. Great job Jay.

bioforger 22 November 2013 07:19 PM

hehe he said flange

juggers 27 December 2013 07:16 AM

Anymore updates?

jaypSTi 06 February 2014 07:20 PM

Update.....First the good bits
I have changed my catback exhaust to a jetex system supplied by revolution247. Even after adding a resonator to the h&s exhaust, it was still too loud. I managed to sell the h&s exhaust for the same price as the new jetex exhaust, so it had to be done. It's a much better fit and much quieter. Very quiet on idle, but a nice raspy roar when giving it some beanz :)
I have recently purchase a big brake kit, D2 356mm 8pots. This will be fitted on my next journey to enginetuner :)

Now the bad news.....(for me anyway, maybe good news for someone else)
I have decided to sell :(
I cant keep wasting my money on paying somebody else's mortgage, I need to get on the property ladder.
I know I am going to lose a massive amount selling, it is probably worth more breaking it, but I don't have the time to be selling in bits.
I have probably spent £25k in the past 12 months alone on this car. So someone is gonna get a WHOLE lot of kit..

I am not in a massive rush to sell, but I got to get the ball rolling.
There is some body work that needs doing to the car, so I am not going to lie and say its mint. Exterior modifications was next on the list for the project.
Mileage is 45k with only 4.5k miles done on the new engine.
I am looking for £21,500ono
Any questions or more pictures required feel free to ask.
You can either pm on here or email jay@stivescornwall.net
or for serious offers tel: 07876440568

Fai17 09 February 2014 07:09 PM

Gutting to hear you're selling up.

That's a cracken car.

ScottishRayman 13 February 2014 07:36 PM

Fantastic car and project work mate - in the fastest hatch colour also :)

craigybaby 13 February 2014 07:42 PM

Can't believe your selling mate I bet it will be heart wrenching watching her drive away glwts worth every penny

jaypSTi 03 March 2014 06:28 PM

Sold :(

matt-c 04 March 2014 08:00 AM

And hopefully i can keep a few updates going in relation to this car.

matt-c 06 March 2014 03:08 PM

Picked up a few interior items today..

JDM Front Seats
Rubber boot mat
STi Floor mats
Gear lever gaiter

Regarding the more interesting mechanical side, I've a few things to do.

Rear brakes look a bit corroded
Exedy Twin Plate clutch, the jury is still out on this. (Scratch that, just been for a blast, i was over thinking it, if you just drive it's actually a lot more forgiving than i thought)
Might fit a recirc dv to reduce the whooshing noises and give the turbo an easier life

I managed a (nearly) full power run the other day and it's crazy quick !!

bpi 06 March 2014 11:26 PM

Congrats on the purchase Matt, jou got youseft a Awesome car there. Some tastefull mod's you are carrying out there too, enjoy.
Cheers Ben

matt-c 26 March 2014 06:52 PM

Wheel alignment by Skidmarques in Hutton

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...867f37ea3d.jpg

matt-c 26 March 2014 07:27 PM

Center console back in, it's a bit of a bodge but i'll make it perfect later. Also new gaiters from top gaiter.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...d163a9425e.jpg