ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   A bad Apple ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/962108-a-bad-apple.html)

Rob_Impreza99 14 January 2013 05:34 PM

A bad Apple ?

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/01/...phone-5-parts/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21014987

Over to Jack, Apple's UK spin doctor.

stevebt 14 January 2013 05:50 PM

A victim of their own hype, the phones are overpriced as compared to similar top end phones. With everyone watching their spend phones don't really top people's must have list.

I heard apple were going to bring out a cheaper version? Probably trying to catch some of the budget market although I doubt a cheaper phone will be much of a budget phone if its made by them.

Ant 14 January 2013 06:07 PM

Agreed £529 is a joke for a phone , they really need to rethink their strategy in this current climate

Carlh 14 January 2013 06:11 PM

:pchit:

another apple thread. love these.

waits for apple fanboyz to defend their over priced phones....

Ant 14 January 2013 06:21 PM

Jack does it wind everyone up and wins every time , it's the ones who bite are the fanboys

Rob_Impreza99 14 January 2013 06:34 PM

I'm no business expert but i'd say that falling 50% short of your projected sales target is pretty poor.

Maybe people have realised that you can get better value and better performance elsewhere for less money.

Ant 14 January 2013 06:39 PM

Or maybe just maybe . People don't have much spare cash these days with a recession and all

Ios7 will be make or break for apple

Rob_Impreza99 14 January 2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10945245)
Or maybe just maybe . People don't have much spare cash these days with a recession and all

Ios7 will be make or break for apple

Its not affecting Samsung's record profits so people are obviously still spending, its just less people are choosing to buy an iphone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20942231

stevebt 14 January 2013 07:11 PM

Samsung make more than just phones, their TVs must make them a few quid ;)

Matteeboy 14 January 2013 07:44 PM

Just smashed the screen on my iPhone 5. Goodbye another £186... :-(

Rob_Impreza99 14 January 2013 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 10945313)
Samsung make more than just phones, their TVs must make them a few quid ;)

Yeh i know, but 60% of Samsung's profits comes from its mobile business.

This was from July last year, it just shows the point, so if Samsung are reporting recent record profits then the bulk of that is coming from its mobile business.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...r-Samsung.html

bioforger 14 January 2013 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10945208)
Jack does it wind everyone up and wins every time , it's the ones who bite are the fanboys

:lol1: No he doesn't. Your comment is classic JC fanboy material. Most of the time he comes across as a complete bellend imo. Although I must admit i like to bite just for the hell of it :)

Ant 14 January 2013 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99 (Post 10945445)
Yeh i know, but 60% of Samsung's profits comes from its mobile business.

This was from July last year, it just shows the point, so if Samsung are reporting recent record profits then the bulk of that is coming from its mobile business.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...r-Samsung.html

Are we comparing phone sales ? Or company profits?

These are two different things.

When they are giving the phones out free on £26 month contract it's a no brainier to the general public who don't care about phones

JackClark 14 January 2013 09:49 PM

Steve loves the fact you all care.

JackClark 14 January 2013 09:55 PM

Cockforger talking about me again, can't help himself.

bioforger 14 January 2013 11:39 PM

Overdosed on LCD? More like overdosed on cock.

Littleted 15 January 2013 05:08 PM

the fact that they change there devices nearly twice a year has pissed me off.

I wont buy anything more until the Ipad 5 drops, my Ipad 2 is still going strong, and the benefits of a new one just doesnt warrant it.

a few guys at work have the 5 and don't rate it, very buggy, screen jittering Bluetooth stack **** with new cars.

lets see if they slash there prices.

GaryK 21 January 2013 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10945183)
Agreed £529 is a joke for a phone , they really need to rethink their strategy in this current climate

But the S3 was over £500 on launch and is still £430 and the lumia 920 is £530 so all new smartphones are pricey.

scoobyverysoon 22 January 2013 10:26 AM

The S3 can be had from amazon for £350

Rob_Impreza99 22 January 2013 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10945654)
Are we comparing phone sales ? Or company profits?

These are two different things.

When they are giving the phones out free on £26 month contract it's a no brainier to the general public who don't care about phones

Yeh but the providers still have to pay Samsung for them, Samsung don't give them out for free to mobile phone providers and they will be making good profit on every phone, thats called business.

Gear Head 22 January 2013 02:05 PM

I have a guess and say that the reduction in orders will have something to do with this:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/could-iphon...131000815.html

JackClark 23 January 2013 08:26 AM

That's my new phone right there. Roll on summer.

Rob_Impreza99 23 January 2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10957086)

Thats what apple fans were saying when the iphone 5 was about to be released, the excitement didn't last long when it wasn't much of an upgrade from the 4S and wasn't as good as some of the market leaders phones.

By the time the new apple phone comes out its market rivals will have moved on again with better technology leaving the new iphone behind again, similar with what happened with the iphone 5.

bioforger 23 January 2013 02:32 PM

iPhone Math :lol1: :cuckoo: Even the branding is fooked up. Yea i know it wont be called that Jack, but what a ridiculous name to even come up with. Talk about blinkered, no wonder the products are crappy.

Gear Head 23 January 2013 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger (Post 10957506)
iPhone Math :lol1: :cuckoo: Even the branding is fooked up. Yea i know it wont be called that Jack, but what a ridiculous name to even come up with. Talk about blinkered, no wonder the products are crappy.

I don't and have never thought that Apple products were crappy, just over-hyped and over-priced.

This remains the same. :thumb:

bioforger 23 January 2013 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 10957577)
I don't and have never thought that Apple products were crappy, just over-hyped and over-priced.

This remains the same. :thumb:

Yes I concur, but they are cack too :)

Tidgy 23 January 2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 10957086)

lmao, iphone6 and jackmust have, doesnt mater what it is, its the new apple so a must!!!!!

and you wonder why people think your an isheep jack lol

andy97 23 January 2013 07:37 PM

I can't remember who it was but some ignoramus said apple would never make a screen bigger, well the iPhone 5 is bigger, now a phone with a 5" At least they have seen the error of their ways

Markus 23 January 2013 08:44 PM

Typically suppliers don't get to know about device names ahead of time. Most people inside Apple don't know the name of the device until it's announced.

It would be worth having a read of Daring Fireball, as it does tend to have rather good information on it. For example, it does make mention of the whole situation regarding Apple cutting back orders on parts for the iPhone 5, plus, of course, the rumors surrounding the new larger iPhone.

One good snippet is that in all the info about this rumoured device, actual pixel dimensions of the screen are not mentioned. If someone knows the size, they should also know this. And this information is crucial as it will dictate how much work needs to be done to get an app to use the new size. The iPad mini is the same as the non-retina iPad, so that's ok (a few hit zones on buttons might need to be tweaked, but probably not too much else needed to change).

Non-retina to retina was a big change, you're doubling the size and so there is a fair bit of work invalided. iPhone 5 also required some work, but thankfully not as much as the transition from non retina to retina.

It would be a very short timeframe for Apple to release another display, and if it does not match any existing pixel dimensions for the device range it's quite a lot of extra work, plus app sizes would increase as you'd need graphic assets in yet another size.

I could see the iPhone 6 having a different display size, as that is likely to be next year, unless we're getting a 5S now and a six later in the year, but that's a very short cycle and would seriously piss people off, the 3rd to 4th gen iPad switch was quick, but that I think was more to do with wanting to get all current devices on lightning connectors and also gave a chance to speed bump a product, as I don't think they could just have a new 3rd gen with just a different dock connector, people would want to just swap the device, whereas if there is a performance upgrade and other tweaks then it's somewhat better.

JackClark 24 January 2013 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10957648)
lmao, iphone6 and jackmust have, doesnt mater what it is, its the new apple so a must!!!!!

and you wonder why people think your an isheep jack lol

I don't have an iPhone 5 and I don't see upgrading a phone at 2 years old as excessive, it will be the only phone that uses iOS, which is a must, and it will be an amazing device, what do you suggest I do?