ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Afghan Invasion (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/943674-afghan-invasion.html)

Shaid 20 July 2012 04:28 PM

Afghan Invasion

So that's what it is all about then.

Hate to say it but 'told you so'

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...nistan.jpg.jpg

Afghanistan has become the first country whose surface minerals have been mapped from the air.

The US Geological Survey released the results of a "hyperspectral imaging" effort, in which reflections of light from the ground are analysed.

Different minerals - as well as snow or vegetation - reflect specific colours, resulting in a "mineral map".

The map comprises more than 800 million data points corresponding to an area of 440,000 sq km, some 70% of the country.

Afghanistan is known to have vast reserves of oil, gas, copper, cobalt, gold and lithium. In late 2011, a consortium of Indian companies inked a deal to begin mining some of the country's large stores of iron.

But the country is known to have a wider array of mineral resources; in 2010, the Afghan ministry of mines claimed a value of its reserves of nearly a trillion dollars, then carrying out tours to promote investment in them.

But it remains to pin down which economically viable minerals are where, an effort for which the USGS's hyperspectral imaging expertise was enlisted.

In a series of 28 flights over 43 days, the USGS gathered the data from a height of 15,000m, using a camera to capture sunlight reflected from the ground. Each "pixel" of the camera was analysed and correlated with the materials that reflect at a given colour.

The USGS public release of the data includes two maps: one of iron and iron-bearing minerals, and one of minerals principally containing carbon, silicon, or sulphur.

The survey was funded by the US Department of Defense's Task Force for Business and Stability Operations (TFBSO) as well as the Afghan government.

"This is a tremendous tool for the Afghan government for locating and identifying its myriad rich mineral deposits," said TFBSO director Jim Bullion.

"These maps clearly show the enormous size and variety of Afghanistan's mineral wealth and position the country to become a world leader in the minerals sector."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18882996

bustaMOVEs 20 July 2012 04:40 PM

Confirms a few querys

hodgy0_2 20 July 2012 05:20 PM

like John Travolta and Tom Cruise you mean

bigsinky 20 July 2012 05:30 PM

and Jake Gyllenhaal and Ricky Martin

juggers 20 July 2012 05:34 PM

The invasion was illegal! All them innocent lives of British Soldiers and Agani's for terrorist that never even existed. Now watch the corporate's make billions and trillions.

bigsinky 20 July 2012 05:35 PM

am I missing summat here. is this not a ghey thread then?

markjmd 20 July 2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10715976)
So that's what it is all about then.

Hate to say it but 'told you so'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18882996

Nice bit of 'cause follows effect' reasoning there. The survey showing the country's mineral wealth is made 10 years after the invasion, yet mineral wealth was supposedly the reason for that invasion :cuckoo:

Also, your article says nothing about US companies having preferential access to these mineral deposits, and even states the only company to have lined up a contract to mine anything there so far is Indian.

I'll now wait for the 'ah but this, ah but that' response(s), which is sure to follow shortly, and make about as much sense as the thread-launch. :rolleyes:

David Lock 20 July 2012 05:54 PM

Why are TESCOS involved?

dl

Chip 20 July 2012 07:17 PM

Tescos?

DCI Gene Hunt 20 July 2012 07:23 PM

Is David shouting "TESCOS" (caps etc.) :D

DCI Gene Hunt 20 July 2012 07:25 PM

The survey was funded by the US Department of Defense's Task Force for Business and Stability Operations (TFBSO) as well as the Afghan government.
http://www.taylorherring.com/blog_co...pr-400x162.jpg

:D

David Lock 20 July 2012 08:15 PM

Sorry my eyes are playing up :D :D

d

Shaid 20 July 2012 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 10716108)
Nice bit of 'cause follows effect' reasoning there. The survey showing the country's mineral wealth is made 10 years after the invasion, yet mineral wealth was supposedly the reason for that invasion :cuckoo:

Also, your article says nothing about US companies having preferential access to these mineral deposits, and even states the only company to have lined up a contract to mine anything there so far is Indian.

I'll now wait for the 'ah but this, ah but that' response(s), which is sure to follow shortly, and make about as much sense as the thread-launch. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they had the details pre invasion. Do you really think they would say 'Hey Afghan has got a bit of lovely jubbly underground.' followed by 'let's bring the Ghanis freedom'. I know it is hard to accept however often the truth is :)

markjmd 20 July 2012 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10716554)
I'm sure they had the details pre invasion. Do you really think they would say 'Hey Afghan has got a bit of lovely jubbly underground.' followed by 'let's bring the Ghanis freedom'. I know it is hard to accept however often the truth is :)

ah but, oh but, ah but, oh but, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda

find another record, pleeeeeaaaase :rolleyes:

tony de wonderful 20 July 2012 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10716554)

Shaid can you not conceive of people doing things for reasons other than immediate self-interest?

GC8 20 July 2012 11:32 PM

This is about using trade to build the country and secure it, Im sure. What thatll do for actual residents will be virtually nothing Im sure with a small minority getting very rich.

Shaid 21 July 2012 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 10716562)
ah but, oh but, ah but, oh but, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda

find another record, pleeeeeaaaase :rolleyes:

Deny the obvious at your peril

Shaid 21 July 2012 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10716693)
Shaid can you not conceive of people doing things for reasons other than immediate self-interest?

If there is no self interest then why do it? Don't throw the AQ line or the freedom/democracy excuse as the real reason.

All Tourlk 21 July 2012 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10716693)

No because capitalism is based on self interest. And guess what Capitalism is what rules over here and the US.

stedee 21 July 2012 04:12 AM

yawn

Shaid 21 July 2012 08:15 AM

This is funny. The same people who bang on about how great their 'boys' are and what a waste of life it is, bring home, help for hero enthusiasts, etc yawn and make sily comments in the face of the truth. You guys are really doing the armed forces a great disservice. The youngsters went in on a pretense that they are doing good when all that is really happening is that they are being used as tools to secure $$$, losing lives and making enemies in the process.

DCI Gene Hunt 21 July 2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10716806)
If there is no self interest then why do it? Don't throw the AQ line or the freedom/democracy excuse as the real reason.

I was under the assumption that following the terrorist attacks on the twin towers - Sep 11, 2001 (where a few thousand people were killed by AQ terrorists) the "Rest of World" joined together and entered Afghanistan the following month and dismantled what they could find of AQ - with some of the scum escaping capture by slipping over the border into Pakistan (OBL being one of those scumbags).

What more of a reason would you need than that one?

Shaid 21 July 2012 10:15 AM

Rogue CIA agent has beef with the people who created him and therefore decides to bomb them and then conveniently have a base in a place with a lot of untapped $$$.

I really hope the Afghans do not let anyone steal their wealth. Ironically the phrase 'no surrender' applies here.

DCI Gene Hunt 21 July 2012 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10716982)
Rogue CIA agent has beef with the people who created him and therefore decides to bomb them and then conveniently have a base in a place with a lot of untapped $$$.

I really hope the Afghans do not let anyone steal their wealth. Ironically the phrase 'no surrender' applies here.

Really? that is so far fetched that if you genuinely believed that I'd be really concerned. You would seemed to be getting fact, fiction and pure fantasy confused.

I don't get the "no surrender" comment, what do you mean by that?

The wealth (if there actually is any) in Afghanistan has always been through selling opium (drug trafficking), typically to the West etc. (that's us by the way). That's a completely immoral trade in my opinion, but I again see nobody condemning that, but worrying more about potential mineral extraction... whereas it that came to be it would always be the Afghan Government selling mineral rights and (hopefully) using the monies to actually build a better place for its people.

Shaid 21 July 2012 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 10716994)
Really? that is so far fetched that if you genuinely believed that I'd be really concerned. You would seemed to be getting fact, fiction and pure fantasy confused.

I don't get the "no surrender" comment, what do you mean by that?

The wealth (if there actually is any) in Afghanistan has always been through selling opium (drug trafficking), typically to the West etc. (that's us by the way). That's a completely immoral trade in my opinion, but I again see nobody condemning that, but worrying more about potential mineral extraction... whereas it that came to be it would always be the Afghan Government selling mineral rights and (hopefully) using the monies to actually build a better place for its people.

The 'we are in it for the people' argument is old, worn out, uncredible and boring.

Opium growing, can be stopped easily
with a carpet bombing, it isn't so that's that question answered.

No surrender - native English keep on banging on about it, you know the rest!

DCI Gene Hunt 21 July 2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10717066)
The 'we are in it for the people' argument is old, worn out, uncredible and boring.

Do you not understand that stabilising an entire country doesn't exactly happen overnight? It takes time to form a Government, get people focused towards rebuilding and actually ensuring that they have a viable and demonstrable way of protecting themselves from the AQ scum-bags that sneaked into Pakistan?

Opium growing, can be stopped easily with a carpet bombing, it isn't so that's that question answered.
Have you seen how they grow opium? lots and lots of small fields that can be cultivated in a matter of a few weeks... carpet bombing can't be used to the level that would be required - and I'm sure that would play right into the hands of pro-AQ lot "they're bombing farmers" etc.

No surrender - native English keep on banging on about it, you know the rest!
No, I still don't grasp what you're saying - I'm genuinely not getting the context in which you're using this quote?

markjmd 21 July 2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10716805)
Deny the obvious at your peril

... and ignore the slightly less obvious but nevertheless clear enough at far greater peril.

Shaid 21 July 2012 02:13 PM

In the future historians are going to look at this blatant invasion for resources and say WTF!

It is shocking to see how many people fall for this war of terror bull when te obvious stares them in the face.

DCI Gene Hunt 21 July 2012 02:15 PM

I'm more shocked at the denial of some in the face of hard facts!

Aaron1978 21 July 2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shaid (Post 10716982)

Seriously? IMO you have just come across as some sort of extremist trying to convince people to believe this! :brickwall