Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2012, 04:28 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afghan Invasion

So that's what it is all about then.

Hate to say it but 'told you so'

Afghanistan has become the first country whose surface minerals have been mapped from the air.

The US Geological Survey released the results of a "hyperspectral imaging" effort, in which reflections of light from the ground are analysed.

Different minerals - as well as snow or vegetation - reflect specific colours, resulting in a "mineral map".

The map comprises more than 800 million data points corresponding to an area of 440,000 sq km, some 70% of the country.

Afghanistan is known to have vast reserves of oil, gas, copper, cobalt, gold and lithium. In late 2011, a consortium of Indian companies inked a deal to begin mining some of the country's large stores of iron.

But the country is known to have a wider array of mineral resources; in 2010, the Afghan ministry of mines claimed a value of its reserves of nearly a trillion dollars, then carrying out tours to promote investment in them.

But it remains to pin down which economically viable minerals are where, an effort for which the USGS's hyperspectral imaging expertise was enlisted.

In a series of 28 flights over 43 days, the USGS gathered the data from a height of 15,000m, using a camera to capture sunlight reflected from the ground. Each "pixel" of the camera was analysed and correlated with the materials that reflect at a given colour.

The USGS public release of the data includes two maps: one of iron and iron-bearing minerals, and one of minerals principally containing carbon, silicon, or sulphur.

The survey was funded by the US Department of Defense's Task Force for Business and Stability Operations (TFBSO) as well as the Afghan government.

"This is a tremendous tool for the Afghan government for locating and identifying its myriad rich mineral deposits," said TFBSO director Jim Bullion.

"These maps clearly show the enormous size and variety of Afghanistan's mineral wealth and position the country to become a world leader in the minerals sector."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18882996
Old 20 July 2012, 04:40 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Confirms a few querys
Old 20 July 2012, 05:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

like John Travolta and Tom Cruise you mean
Old 20 July 2012, 05:30 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

and Jake Gyllenhaal and Ricky Martin
Old 20 July 2012, 05:34 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The invasion was illegal! All them innocent lives of British Soldiers and Agani's for terrorist that never even existed. Now watch the corporate's make billions and trillions.

Last edited by juggers; 20 July 2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 20 July 2012, 05:35 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

am I missing summat here. is this not a ghey thread then?
Old 20 July 2012, 05:46 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaid
So that's what it is all about then.

Hate to say it but 'told you so'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18882996
Nice bit of 'cause follows effect' reasoning there. The survey showing the country's mineral wealth is made 10 years after the invasion, yet mineral wealth was supposedly the reason for that invasion

Also, your article says nothing about US companies having preferential access to these mineral deposits, and even states the only company to have lined up a contract to mine anything there so far is Indian.

I'll now wait for the 'ah but this, ah but that' response(s), which is sure to follow shortly, and make about as much sense as the thread-launch.
Old 20 July 2012, 05:54 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Why are TESCOS involved?

dl
Old 20 July 2012, 07:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Tescos?
Old 20 July 2012, 07:23 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Is David shouting "TESCOS" (caps etc.)
Old 20 July 2012, 07:25 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The survey was funded by the US Department of Defense's Task Force for Business and Stability Operations (TFBSO) as well as the Afghan government.

Old 20 July 2012, 08:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Sorry my eyes are playing up

d
Old 20 July 2012, 10:06 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Nice bit of 'cause follows effect' reasoning there. The survey showing the country's mineral wealth is made 10 years after the invasion, yet mineral wealth was supposedly the reason for that invasion

Also, your article says nothing about US companies having preferential access to these mineral deposits, and even states the only company to have lined up a contract to mine anything there so far is Indian.

I'll now wait for the 'ah but this, ah but that' response(s), which is sure to follow shortly, and make about as much sense as the thread-launch.
I'm sure they had the details pre invasion. Do you really think they would say 'Hey Afghan has got a bit of lovely jubbly underground.' followed by 'let's bring the Ghanis freedom'. I know it is hard to accept however often the truth is
Old 20 July 2012, 10:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

I'm sure they had the details pre invasion. Do you really think they would say 'Hey Afghan has got a bit of lovely jubbly underground.' followed by 'let's bring the Ghanis freedom'. I know it is hard to accept however often the truth is
ah but, oh but, ah but, oh but, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda

find another record, pleeeeeaaaase
Old 20 July 2012, 11:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Shaid can you not conceive of people doing things for reasons other than immediate self-interest?
Old 20 July 2012, 11:32 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This is about using trade to build the country and secure it, Im sure. What thatll do for actual residents will be virtually nothing Im sure with a small minority getting very rich.
Old 21 July 2012, 02:30 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
ah but, oh but, ah but, oh but, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda

find another record, pleeeeeaaaase
Deny the obvious at your peril
Old 21 July 2012, 02:32 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Shaid can you not conceive of people doing things for reasons other than immediate self-interest?
If there is no self interest then why do it? Don't throw the AQ line or the freedom/democracy excuse as the real reason.
Old 21 July 2012, 03:07 AM
All Tourlk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
No because capitalism is based on self interest. And guess what Capitalism is what rules over here and the US.

Last edited by All Tourlk; 21 July 2012 at 03:08 AM.
Old 21 July 2012, 04:12 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

yawn
Old 21 July 2012, 08:15 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

This is funny. The same people who bang on about how great their 'boys' are and what a waste of life it is, bring home, help for hero enthusiasts, etc yawn and make sily comments in the face of the truth. You guys are really doing the armed forces a great disservice. The youngsters went in on a pretense that they are doing good when all that is really happening is that they are being used as tools to secure $$$, losing lives and making enemies in the process.
Old 21 July 2012, 09:30 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

If there is no self interest then why do it? Don't throw the AQ line or the freedom/democracy excuse as the real reason.
I was under the assumption that following the terrorist attacks on the twin towers - Sep 11, 2001 (where a few thousand people were killed by AQ terrorists) the "Rest of World" joined together and entered Afghanistan the following month and dismantled what they could find of AQ - with some of the scum escaping capture by slipping over the border into Pakistan (OBL being one of those scumbags).

What more of a reason would you need than that one?
Old 21 July 2012, 10:15 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Rogue CIA agent has beef with the people who created him and therefore decides to bomb them and then conveniently have a base in a place with a lot of untapped $$$.

I really hope the Afghans do not let anyone steal their wealth. Ironically the phrase 'no surrender' applies here.
Old 21 July 2012, 10:25 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Rogue CIA agent has beef with the people who created him and therefore decides to bomb them and then conveniently have a base in a place with a lot of untapped $$$.

I really hope the Afghans do not let anyone steal their wealth. Ironically the phrase 'no surrender' applies here.
Really? that is so far fetched that if you genuinely believed that I'd be really concerned. You would seemed to be getting fact, fiction and pure fantasy confused.

I don't get the "no surrender" comment, what do you mean by that?

The wealth (if there actually is any) in Afghanistan has always been through selling opium (drug trafficking), typically to the West etc. (that's us by the way). That's a completely immoral trade in my opinion, but I again see nobody condemning that, but worrying more about potential mineral extraction... whereas it that came to be it would always be the Afghan Government selling mineral rights and (hopefully) using the monies to actually build a better place for its people.
Old 21 July 2012, 11:24 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Really? that is so far fetched that if you genuinely believed that I'd be really concerned. You would seemed to be getting fact, fiction and pure fantasy confused.

I don't get the "no surrender" comment, what do you mean by that?

The wealth (if there actually is any) in Afghanistan has always been through selling opium (drug trafficking), typically to the West etc. (that's us by the way). That's a completely immoral trade in my opinion, but I again see nobody condemning that, but worrying more about potential mineral extraction... whereas it that came to be it would always be the Afghan Government selling mineral rights and (hopefully) using the monies to actually build a better place for its people.
The 'we are in it for the people' argument is old, worn out, uncredible and boring.

Opium growing, can be stopped easily
with a carpet bombing, it isn't so that's that question answered.

No surrender - native English keep on banging on about it, you know the rest!
Old 21 July 2012, 11:31 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

The 'we are in it for the people' argument is old, worn out, uncredible and boring.
Do you not understand that stabilising an entire country doesn't exactly happen overnight? It takes time to form a Government, get people focused towards rebuilding and actually ensuring that they have a viable and demonstrable way of protecting themselves from the AQ scum-bags that sneaked into Pakistan?

Opium growing, can be stopped easily with a carpet bombing, it isn't so that's that question answered.
Have you seen how they grow opium? lots and lots of small fields that can be cultivated in a matter of a few weeks... carpet bombing can't be used to the level that would be required - and I'm sure that would play right into the hands of pro-AQ lot "they're bombing farmers" etc.

No surrender - native English keep on banging on about it, you know the rest!
No, I still don't grasp what you're saying - I'm genuinely not getting the context in which you're using this quote?
Old 21 July 2012, 11:42 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Deny the obvious at your peril
... and ignore the slightly less obvious but nevertheless clear enough at far greater peril.
Old 21 July 2012, 02:13 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

In the future historians are going to look at this blatant invasion for resources and say WTF!

It is shocking to see how many people fall for this war of terror bull when te obvious stares them in the face.
Old 21 July 2012, 02:15 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'm more shocked at the denial of some in the face of hard facts!
Old 21 July 2012, 02:20 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Seriously? IMO you have just come across as some sort of extremist trying to convince people to believe this!

Quick Reply: Afghan Invasion