ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   water temp (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/925717-water-temp.html)

tubbytommy 19 February 2012 03:17 PM

water temp

i have just fitted a water temp gauge to my car (celcius) as im using it for track days a lot this year.

what would be the normal running temp, (average i realise it will vary due to outside temp)

and what would be considered high ?

thanks

Maz 19 February 2012 03:27 PM

Water temperature shouldn't really fluctuate unless you've got a dodgy thermostat. On a Newage it should run at a steady 89 Celsius and the fan will kick in above 91 Celsius iirc. For track I would pay more attention to the oil side of things, far more important and effective for reliability. Consider a thermostatic oil cooler.

Midlife...... 19 February 2012 03:32 PM

My Bug tools around at about 85-94 degrees C depending on what I am doing and the fan cuts in at 97 degrees.....

Shaun

tubbytommy 19 February 2012 03:33 PM

i have oil cooler and temp and pressure gauge already fitted.
just had water temp gauge kicking about so fitted it.
so anything above 91 would be considered hot?

Myles 19 February 2012 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10495467)
My Bug tools around at about 85-94 degrees C depending on what I am doing and the fan cuts in at 97 degrees.....

Shaun

Snap.

Paul Hutch 19 February 2012 04:20 PM

my type r runs at 86c and fan kicks in it 91c

Black-Hawk 19 February 2012 04:23 PM

Is is a genuine STi gauge?

tubbytommy 19 February 2012 04:24 PM

yes it is a genuine sti one not a cheap knock off that will be stuck in with sticky tape.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/Untitled.png

trevsjwood 19 February 2012 04:24 PM

I have a standard subaru thermostat which is rated at 78c, the gauge flutuates 2 or 3 deg either side of this but no more. Might be different on a track.
Trev

alcazar 19 February 2012 04:27 PM

Hi, my 2.5 converted classic runs at around 86-87 degrees.

When hot, in standing traffic, I've seen 100 degrees.

tubbytommy 19 February 2012 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by trevsjwood (Post 10495517)
I have a standard subaru thermostat which is rated at 78c, the gauge flutuates 2 or 3 deg either side of this but no more.
Trev

as its fitted ill just see what happens, im not really concerned about temp as it has bever really risen above just over a quarter, just thought i would fit it as it was in my garage.
i may stick it on ebay at some point though as its a genuine sti genome one.

trevsjwood 19 February 2012 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10495536)
as its fitted ill just see what happens, im not really concerned about temp as it has bever really risen above just over a quarter, just thought i would fit it as it was in my garage.
i may stick it on ebay at some point though as its a genuine sti genome one.

important to have it if you're on the track as it will respond and indicate a problem more quickly than the one in the dash.
Trev

alcazar 19 February 2012 06:24 PM

I have one, as I said. I put it in place as I got a chance at a Defi one that matched the fuel pressure gauge I also fitted...now THAT bad boy has saved the engine TWICE now!!!

tubbytommy 19 February 2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10495721)
I have one, as I said. I put it in place as I got a chance at a Defi one that matched the fuel pressure gauge I also fitted...now THAT bad boy has saved the engine TWICE now!!!

well thats what i was hoping i have the important oil temp/pressure but thought this could help if any problems arise before its too late.

alcazar 19 February 2012 08:38 PM

The thing about Defis is that you can link the boost gauge to the fuel pressure gauge, so that the fuel pressure gauge shows DIFFERENTIAL pressure, not ACTUAL pressure.

So it always show the amount that the fuel pressure is ABOVE boost, and should remain absolutely still..........well, within a couple of tenths of a bar;), since it's following the boost.

Mine was dropping quite a lot whilst in France, making the engine run lean. The alarm went off on the fuel pressure gauge and on doing a thorough check, I found a vacuum hose had split:eek:

Had I NOT had all the monitors in place, (Fuel pressure gauge, KnockLink etc), I could easily have continued and destroyed the engine.

tubbytommy 19 February 2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 10496041)
The thing about Defis is that you can link the boost gauge to the fuel pressure gauge, so that the fuel pressure gauge shows DIFFERENTIAL pressure, not ACTUAL pressure.

So it always show the amount that the fuel pressure is ABOVE boost, and should remain absolutely still..........well, within a couple of tenths of a bar;), since it's following the boost.

Mine was dropping quite a lot whilst in France, making the engine run lean. The alarm went off on the fuel pressure gauge and on doing a thorough check, I found a vacuum hose had split:eek:

Had I NOT had all the monitors in place, (Fuel pressure gauge, KnockLink etc), I could easily have continued and destroyed the engine.

doesnt the ecu retard the ignition if it detedcts knocking though?

alcazar 20 February 2012 11:50 AM

Not on a LINK ecu, afaik.