ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   virgin media weird problem (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/925388-virgin-media-weird-problem.html)

andy97 16 February 2012 07:54 PM

virgin media weird problem

This morning we lost internet connection or I thought we had. We have adsl connection and we can't call up a Google home page but my son can talk to his mates on his Xbox and the wife can connect to work via Vpn. Has anybody else have this problem? And yes I have tried to call virgin but with little success as of yet

Sent from my HTC desire

peter zippy reid 16 February 2012 08:02 PM

Pm pimmo from here he works for them

paulr 16 February 2012 08:04 PM

My mate has had problems with virgin media ever since he got the Virgin combined router/ modem. If he connects direct, its okay, its only when he go's wireless. Not sorted yet.

I had problems with Virgin and a wireless router, but found out it was local interference. I changed channels in the wireless router and it fixed it.

Paulo P 16 February 2012 08:08 PM

I guess you've tried restarting your router?

andy97 16 February 2012 08:15 PM

Restarted router several times with 5 mins between reboot

Paulo P 16 February 2012 08:18 PM

Not that then :wonder: I'm on Sky and I get weird crap like that but a reboot usually sorts it. How long has it been down and have you tried it from more than 1 PC?

hodgy0_2 16 February 2012 08:28 PM

it sounds like a dns problem

andy97 16 February 2012 08:28 PM

All PC's have same problem no Google home page. We have found that a few websites will load but not many
The Wife has sent herself an email from her blackberry and can now see it via vpn on her laptop. But no Google weird

andy97 16 February 2012 08:34 PM

Right I'm using my laptop now via my HTC Desire which I have tethered to it. So there is nothing wrong with my laptop. Google and other pages load straight away. 35 mins and still waiting for virgin to answer the phone:(

davegtt 16 February 2012 08:49 PM

Presume youve restarted the modem as well?

Strange that your son can still get on XBL.

SinghSuperStud 16 February 2012 08:53 PM

Try using opendns settings for your DNS server ?

andy97 16 February 2012 09:21 PM

my set up is draytek vigor 120 modem and a netgear n900 router. I have had them about a month and has been fine up till today. I have checked the draytek and even changed the mac address to the virgin mac settings stored in the N900 that didnt work. The moden has a constant green dsl light and the router says that internet is good.

The wife can connect to work via internet and vpn and can send and receive emails. She can look at two websites by typing directly in the url bar. But cant get google home page.

I cant get any page up on my laptop via Chrome or IE they just time out. I am using a tethered connection to ask these questions. I can browse the internet via the tether ok.

Its like we have a virus, but we have negative scans.

Im going to try direct link to the modem and see if that works!

Right I have tried to connect direct to modem and setup all settings. This is the error

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address

Im going to try virgin tomorrow morning, over 1 hour and no fuccking answer

Paulo P 17 February 2012 12:44 AM

I must admit that this is really odd because the VPN and xbox live prove that it can see the outside world.

I would suggest it's maybe a routing issue and I'd advise Virgin Media because there may be an outage somewhere on their network. How long has it been down for?

andy97 17 February 2012 11:06 AM

Well everything is working again this morning with no adjustments by me. I still haven't been able to speak to virgin. I wish virgin would have a decent customer service because if this happens again I'm moving provider

Terminator X 17 February 2012 11:10 AM

They used to be NTL fella so it seems they have just carried on with NTL's appalling customer care :nono:

TX.

Paulo P 17 February 2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 10492130)
Well everything is working again this morning with no adjustments by me. I still haven't been able to speak to virgin. I wish virgin would have a decent customer service because if this happens again I'm moving provider

There must have been an outage but I haven't heard about it yet. Glad it's all sorted though :)

SinghSuperStud 17 February 2012 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 10492134)
They used to be NTL fella so it seems they have just carried on with NTL's appalling customer care :nono:

TX.

I think it was actually Telewest who took over NTL and I always found their support to be pretty good.

Before they were rebranded as Virgin I found their CS better anyway, particularly their broadband support (called Blueyonder then)

peter zippy reid 17 February 2012 02:34 PM

I phoned customer service when my broadband went down for the third time in a week to be told why does no one ever phone to say what a good service they are getting people only ever phone to complain i said why should i do that i pay £120 a month why should i praise you

ScoobySteve69 17 February 2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 10492130)

Strange. Each time I`ve rang Virgin (hasn`t been many occasions) I`ve got through straight away and they`ve been very helpful :thumb:

Paulo P 17 February 2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud (Post 10492480)
I think it was actually Telewest who took over NTL and I always found their support to be pretty good.

Before they were rebranded as Virgin I found their CS better anyway, particularly their broadband support (called Blueyonder then)

Telewest were bought out by NTL and then we got re-branded to Virgin Media.

Terminator X 17 February 2012 03:12 PM

NTL were appalling when we had cable, I'll never use em again :mad:

TX.

scoobeenut 17 February 2012 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid (Post 10492485)
I phoned customer service when my broadband went down for the third time in a week to be told why does no one ever phone to say what a good service they are getting people only ever phone to complain i said why should i do that i pay £120 a month why should i praise you

You pay £120 a month for broadband :eek2:

davegtt 17 February 2012 03:36 PM

No point ringing at 8 in the evening though, they have a couple of support guys on and theyre not even that knowledgeable.

eagle 17 February 2012 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 10492488)
Strange. Each time I`ve rang Virgin (hasn`t been many occasions) I`ve got through straight away and they`ve been very helpful :thumb:

have to agree, although they have no concept of the data protection act :cuckoo:

ScoobySteve69 17 February 2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 10492750)
have to agree, although they have no concept of the data protection act :cuckoo:

Why`s that?

eagle 18 February 2012 11:05 AM

have a silly issue with them ..
short version...
was a virgin media customer ..
got married wanted to keep my email addys..
wife was a virgin media customer..
cancelled my account and added email to hers..
now i can access all the private account data including secret question etc and its not my account .
virgin said that is perfectly acceptable ..
all of this after talking to 2 supervisors without the wife giving HER concent for them to talk to me about the account ..
when i asked about this, the nice indian chap promptly hung up on me ....

Kieran_Burns 18 February 2012 11:43 AM

As said above - almost certainly DNS issues, use these manually configured addresses

http://theos.in/windows-xp/free-fast...s-server-list/

Free Public DNS Server

=> Service provider: Google
Google public dns server IP address:

=> Service provider:Dnsadvantage
Dnsadvantage free dns server list:

=> Service provider:OpenDNS
OpenDNS free dns server list / IP address:

=> Service provider:Norton
Norton free dns server list / IP address:

=> Service provider: GTEI DNS (now Verizon)
Public Name server IP address:

=> Service provider: ScrubIt
Public dns server address:

Littleted 22 February 2012 12:26 PM

ooo my god dont get me started on the VIRGIN SUPER ****EEEEE.

Ok been woth them for years 50mb single modem into a netgear 2000 bulletprooof for 2 long years on 50mb. I upgraded to 100mb along came super hub bollocks, why because its a GIG port and old stuff is 100mb, so not fast enough to give true 100mb thruput.

first 2 days i had drop outs routers needed rebooting etc, i rang Gunga din in india and stated id been in IT for 17 years so dont read me the riot act, fix me.

They booked engineer, who came next day and said yep routers ****e go Modem Only Mode, so i did backed into my older belkin pre N, but it still needed rebooting every couple of days.

I really wish i could go back to 50mb and my old modem, i know Virgin plan to release a new firmware soon, but FFS hurry up, this crap router has been on the forums for over 6 months, if i took 6 months to fix an issue at work id get sacked.

Anyone shed any light on the superhub ****ness, and yes ive tried channel 12 wpa and all the guff online, the engineer even let me read his blackberry of the support fixes LOL

sighhh

RICK... 23 February 2012 10:49 AM

I've been with Virgin for about 6 years now, and I've only ever had one or two issues.

I did get the superhub when I upgraded to 30mb, which I found to be a load of toss so went back to the older home hub I had before. No idea if we'll be forced to have the superhub once the speeds double this year? Hope not...

Their customer service is by far the best compared to Sky/BT etc. Technical support however I've found to be pretty poor. That is until it gets escalated to someone who knows what they're talking about and not reading a script.

Littleted 23 February 2012 01:21 PM

If they fix the superhub issues they will indeed be hard to beat, but at present this unit is damaging their rep badly