ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Selling a Stolen & Recovered Car (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/916886-selling-a-stolen-and-recovered-car.html)

Terzo 333 14 December 2011 09:10 AM

Selling a Stolen & Recovered Car

I am selling a car that I had stolen, which then got recovered a couple of weeks later. I never got paid out, other than a few wheels and tyres that were damaged.

Does the law say I have to tell potential buyers or is it "buyer beware" ?

A HPI check does show the car has been stolen and recovered.

tubbytommy 14 December 2011 09:11 AM

not 100% sure but the same happened to me years back but as the insurance didnt pay out i dont think it counts

The Zohan 14 December 2011 09:27 AM

It sounds like it was not written off so should not be a problem. important thing is to be honest with the potential buyers - given it shows up an a HPI check.

every1sgottablue1 14 December 2011 09:37 AM

Ditto!

MOTORS S GT 14 December 2011 09:38 AM

That's nice of the insurance company, not paying out, but putting your car on the hpi list as stolen recovered, further devalueing your car, a double kick in the knacks.

Scooby Dan 14 December 2011 11:28 AM

If no payout was made by the insurance give hpi a call . They will check with the insurance company and if no payout was made they may remove it from the register .

brendy76 14 December 2011 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Terzo 333 (Post 10379129)
I am selling a car that I had stolen, which then got recovered a couple of weeks later.

Did anyone else read that another way?:lol:

SJ_Skyline 14 December 2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by brendy76 (Post 10379294)
Did anyone else read that another way?:lol:

Yes :D

GC8 14 December 2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Terzo 333 (Post 10379129)
I am selling a car that I had stolen, which then got recovered a couple of weeks later. I never got paid out, other than a few wheels and tyres that were damaged.

Does the law say I have to tell potential buyers or is it "buyer beware" ?

A HPI check does show the car has been stolen and recovered.

Hello Matt, was this an AUDI S4 or S6? If they didnt pay out for a total loss then it shouldnt be recorded. Actually getting the insurers to deal with the problem can be difficult though.

Simon

speedking 14 December 2011 01:50 PM

Stolen, ragged round, recovered, repaired. What difference does it make whether there was an insurance payout? The value of the car is still affected in many buyers' eyes.

Steve vRS 14 December 2011 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 10379445)
Stolen, ragged round, recovered, repaired.

Just remove the words 'Stolen' and 'recovered' and that could be any car.

Steve

Terzo 333 14 December 2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by GC8 (Post 10379349)
Hello Matt, was this an AUDI S4 or S6? If they didnt pay out for a total loss then it shouldnt be recorded. Actually getting the insurers to deal with the problem can be difficult though.

Simon

Hi Simon,

It was my RS4 that was stolen a couple of years ago. I have asked my insurance broker if he can get the stolen and recovered removed but he says not :(

So the general consensus is don't mention unless asked ??

Jamescsti 14 December 2011 07:42 PM

I would be really annoyed if I came to look at the car and then got a hpi done which I always do and found out it had been stolen recovered, no way I would touch the car as I would wonder what else the seller is hiding.
For me it should be declared up front, someone would have to be a lunatic to buy an rs4 without getting a hpi done

rev.chris 14 December 2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jamescsti (Post 10380005)
I would be really annoyed if I came to look at the car and then got a hpi done which I always do and found out it had been stolen recovered, no way I would touch the car as I would wonder what else the seller is hiding.
For me it should be declared up front, someone would have to be a lunatic to buy an rs4 without getting a hpi done

i with u on this, ide be asking a lot off questions on the car before i hpi an go look at it, if owner didn't say anything an hpi showed up something i wouldn't trust owner an wouldn't buy,

if u got the car back an got everything sorted propperly it wouldn't put me off, what second hand high performance car hasnt been threased some point in its life,

GC8 15 December 2011 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Terzo 333 (Post 10379917)
Hi Simon,

It was my RS4 that was stolen a couple of years ago. I have asked my insurance broker if he can get the stolen and recovered removed but he says not :(

Difficult certainly, but it shouldnt be recorded if youre keeping it, in the same way that a repaired accident damaged car shouldnt be recorded.

They obviously put it on when it was assessed, expecting that youd not be having it back. You wont be able to sort it out talking to a call centre certainly, but Im sure that there is provision for correcting mistakes. If their complaints procedure fails you can ask the ombudsman...

I wouldnt say, but anyone buying an RS4 will HPI it. You can text check for £3 now, so who wouldnt? I would be fighting the insurance company though. :(

fivetide 15 December 2011 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Terzo 333 (Post 10379917)
Hi Simon,

No honesty the best policy.

I'd HPI the car before buying and walk away as soon as it came up. I'd mark you as a liar and wouldn't trust you at all about anything to do with the car.

I suspect most people will do a check. Also it can affect the next person's insurance as it'll be marked so even if they don't HPI it chances are they'll find out and come looking. You might find yourself with a very upset buyer and a small claims appearance for deliberately concealing info that would have affected the decision to purchase.

5t.