ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Do all Exedy clutches rattle and judder? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/913017-do-all-exedy-clutches-rattle-and-judder.html)

Sti Addict 13 November 2011 01:31 PM

Do all Exedy clutches rattle and judder?

Hi,

I need a clutch for my bug sti 6 speed, as its slipping quite often, I have thought about the Exedy pink and lightweight flywheel, but after watching some videos on youtube, Im having second thoughts.

Some of the judder and noise is horrendous!!

Will these problems go away after the clutch has bedded in or is it there for the life of the clutch?

Also are there any negatives to fitting a lightweight flywheel? (somebody told me the sti's already have a light flywheel)

Thanks

trevsjwood 13 November 2011 07:03 PM

I had an excedy 6spd pink box fitted 1500miles ago. It juddered at first in the low gears and when changeing down 3rd to 2nd, not severely but still a judder. It's improved to a faint judder in the last couple of hundred miles and thats something I can live with. My previous clutch exploded at santa-pod and I should have either had the flywheel skimmed or replaced. It clamps up very well on hard driving up the strip and thats with 380hp/450lbs. I would reccomend speaking to Mark at Lateral as they supply the clutches and get advice on the flywheel.
STI flywheel costs approx £100 to skim but it should be the correct process, not done cheaply on a lathe.
Trev

addi monster 13 November 2011 07:14 PM

my exedy pink box clutch is fine, no judders 330/325

JonMc 13 November 2011 07:15 PM

Mine is smooth as anything, much better than the previous OE clutch - had it fitted with a lightweight flywheel a couple of weeks ago:thumb:

Sti Addict 14 November 2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 10330283)
Mine is smooth as anything, much better than the previous OE clutch - had it fitted with a lightweight flywheel a couple of weeks ago:thumb:

Just wondering which flywheel you went with and how much it weighs?

Sti Addict 14 November 2011 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by trevsjwood (Post 10330256)
I had an excedy 6spd pink box fitted 1500miles ago. It juddered at first in the low gears and when changeing down 3rd to 2nd, not severely but still a judder. It's improved to a faint judder in the last couple of hundred miles and thats something I can live with. My previous clutch exploded at santa-pod and I should have either had the flywheel skimmed or replaced. It clamps up very well on hard driving up the strip and thats with 380hp/450lbs. I would reccomend speaking to Mark at Lateral as they supply the clutches and get advice on the flywheel.
STI flywheel costs approx £100 to skim but it should be the correct process, not done cheaply on a lathe.
Trev

Originally Posted by addi monster (Post 10330280)
my exedy pink box clutch is fine, no judders 330/325

MAny thanks for your replies, it has put my mind rest, will update thread once the clutch is on and bedded in.

djandyg 14 November 2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by trevsjwood (Post 10330256)
Trev

how else is it done if not on a lathe?

trevsjwood 15 November 2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by djandyg (Post 10332331)
how else is it done if not on a lathe?

surface ground