Notices

Do all Exedy clutches rattle and judder?

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2011, 01:31 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all Exedy clutches rattle and judder?

Hi,

I need a clutch for my bug sti 6 speed, as its slipping quite often, I have thought about the Exedy pink and lightweight flywheel, but after watching some videos on youtube, Im having second thoughts.

Some of the judder and noise is horrendous!!

Will these problems go away after the clutch has bedded in or is it there for the life of the clutch?

Also are there any negatives to fitting a lightweight flywheel? (somebody told me the sti's already have a light flywheel)

Thanks
Old 13 November 2011, 07:03 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had an excedy 6spd pink box fitted 1500miles ago. It juddered at first in the low gears and when changeing down 3rd to 2nd, not severely but still a judder. It's improved to a faint judder in the last couple of hundred miles and thats something I can live with. My previous clutch exploded at santa-pod and I should have either had the flywheel skimmed or replaced. It clamps up very well on hard driving up the strip and thats with 380hp/450lbs. I would reccomend speaking to Mark at Lateral as they supply the clutches and get advice on the flywheel.
STI flywheel costs approx £100 to skim but it should be the correct process, not done cheaply on a lathe.
Trev
Old 13 November 2011, 07:14 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

my exedy pink box clutch is fine, no judders 330/325
Old 13 November 2011, 07:15 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is smooth as anything, much better than the previous OE clutch - had it fitted with a lightweight flywheel a couple of weeks ago
Old 14 November 2011, 10:16 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Mine is smooth as anything, much better than the previous OE clutch - had it fitted with a lightweight flywheel a couple of weeks ago
Just wondering which flywheel you went with and how much it weighs?
Old 14 November 2011, 10:18 PM
Sti Addict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
I had an excedy 6spd pink box fitted 1500miles ago. It juddered at first in the low gears and when changeing down 3rd to 2nd, not severely but still a judder. It's improved to a faint judder in the last couple of hundred miles and thats something I can live with. My previous clutch exploded at santa-pod and I should have either had the flywheel skimmed or replaced. It clamps up very well on hard driving up the strip and thats with 380hp/450lbs. I would reccomend speaking to Mark at Lateral as they supply the clutches and get advice on the flywheel.
STI flywheel costs approx £100 to skim but it should be the correct process, not done cheaply on a lathe.
Trev
Originally Posted by addi monster
my exedy pink box clutch is fine, no judders 330/325
MAny thanks for your replies, it has put my mind rest, will update thread once the clutch is on and bedded in.
Old 14 November 2011, 10:23 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
Trev
how else is it done if not on a lathe?
Old 15 November 2011, 02:48 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djandyg
how else is it done if not on a lathe?
surface ground