ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Sir David Attenborough's reply when asked.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/911937-sir-david-attenboroughs-reply-when-asked.html)

Dedrater 04 November 2011 06:47 PM

Sir David Attenborough's reply when asked..

Sir David Attenborough's reply when asked if his observations of the natural world have given him faith in a creator

My response is that when Creationists talk about God creating every individual species as a separate act, they always instance hummingbirds, or orchids, sunflowers and beautiful things. But I tend to think instead of a parasitic worm that is boring through the eye of a boy sitting on the bank of a river in West Africa, [a worm] that's going to make him blind. And [I ask them], 'Are you telling me that the God you believe in, who you also say is an all-merciful God, who cares for each one of us individually, are you saying that God created this worm that can live in no other way than in an innocent child's eyeball? Because that doesn't seem to me to coincide with a God who's full of mercy
Legend.

TelBoy 04 November 2011 08:39 PM

But then we, the educated, knew this anyway. But you can't shake faith, even in the face of overwhelming logic. Humans, nobody ever said they were perfect.

Frosticles 04 November 2011 09:18 PM

Creationists.........................:freak3::cuck oo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Felix. 05 November 2011 01:40 AM

I thought that Sir David Attenborough was God.....!

Leslie 07 November 2011 12:10 PM

You can only follow what your conscience tells you to believe.

Les

Jaybird-UK 07 November 2011 12:30 PM

class

Tidgy 07 November 2011 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 10315921)

he is, and has spoken,,,,,,,

:lol1::lol1::lol1::lol1:

Geezer 07 November 2011 01:16 PM

Over on dpreview they opened up an 'Off Topic' forum, and it being mainly a US site, the religious threads were an eye opener.

I know we have have some debates on here over the years, but they were another level.

There were several people trying post up 'evidence' that man and dinosaurs co-existed :cuckoo:

True young Earth creationists.

Geezer

Dedrater 07 November 2011 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 74948

:D

Leslie 08 November 2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru (Post 10319882)
The 9/11 terrorists felt the same way.

Nothing to say that you can't defend yourself from evil actions though.

Les

JTaylor 08 November 2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10321725)

Les

Jesus would've had us turn the other cheek, would he not?

Geezer 08 November 2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10321725)

Les

Are they evil if condoned by the Koran? :wonder:

Geezer

ChefDude 08 November 2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Felix. (Post 10315921)

That's Morgan Freeman.

Frosticles 08 November 2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 10319946)
Over on dpreview they opened up an 'Off Topic' forum, and it being mainly a US site, the religious threads were an eye opener.

I know we have have some debates on here over the years, but they were another level.

There were several people trying post up 'evidence' that man and dinosaurs co-existed :cuckoo:

True young Earth creationists.

Geezer

Link please :thumb:

Leslie 09 November 2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 10321829)
Are they evil if condoned by the Koran? :wonder:

Geezer

Are such actions condoned as you say though. Does it order its believers to kill innocent people?

Les

Leslie 09 November 2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10321777)
Jesus would've had us turn the other cheek, would he not?

As I said above in case you missed it.

Anyone is fully entitled to defend himself from attack.

Les

Dedrater 09 November 2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10323622)
Does it order its believers to kill innocent people?

Les

A lot of the time, yes. It is why religion (any) puts personal accountability on the back burner, as most religions/belief systems reliably lead to that kind of thinking.

cster 09 November 2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 10323697)
A lot of the time, yes. It is why religion (any) puts personal accountability on the back burner, as most religions/belief systems reliably lead to that kind of thinking.

I know of no religion that puts "personal accountability on the backburner" - that seems to be more of a personal choice - indeed a human failing if you like.
If people want to do good or evil, they will. Why do many (like yourself) need to find religion the cause?
You seem only too willing to fall into a trap of your own devising.

DCI Gene Hunt 10 November 2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10323625)
Anyone is fully entitled to defend himself from attack.

Les

So you're promoting fanatical terrorism now?

Leslie 10 November 2011 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 10323697)

Well my education must be lacking then. Please tell us which religions do advocate the slaughter of innocent people.

Les

Leslie 10 November 2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by cster (Post 10324526)
I know of no religion that puts "personal accountability on the backburner" - that seems to be more of a personal choice - indeed a human failing if you like.
If people want to do good or evil, they will. Why do many (like yourself) need to find religion the cause?
You seem only too willing to fall into a trap of your own devising.

Well said, that was was I also said I think!

Les

Leslie 10 November 2011 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 10324677)
So you're promoting fanatical terrorism now?

I cannot for the life of me understand how you can twist what I said into that kind of a comment.

Please explain!

Les

Dedrater 10 November 2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10325349)
Well my education must be lacking then. Please tell us which religions do advocate the slaughter of innocent people.

Les

Most of the prominent religions, lets stick with Christianity,

God commanded his chosen people to conquer the Promised Land, he placed city after city 'under the ban" -which meant that every man, woman and child was to be slaughtered at the point of the sword
You can not redeem religion by claiming that there are bad and good religious people. The fact of the matter is that the things religious people do are supported by the texts and dogmas and ideology of the religion itself.

JTaylor 10 November 2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 10325402)
Most of the prominent religions, lets stick with Christianity,

God commanded his chosen people to conquer the Promised Land, he placed city after city 'under the ban" -which meant that every man, woman and child was to be slaughtered at the point of the sword
You can not redeem religion by claiming that there are bad and good religious people. The fact of the matter is that the things religious people do are supported by the texts and dogmas and ideology of the religion itself.

This is from the Old Testament, genocide was quite popular. Can you provide a quote from Christianity's New Testament that condones violence beyond self-sacrifice?

Leslie 11 November 2011 03:32 PM

It looks as though such quotes can always be found from the bible. Usually out of context.

Do you really think that a modern religion actually encourages that sort of behaviour?

The actions of the average so called religious maniac are down to the person concerned. It always seems to be people who start all the trouble for their own selfish reasons.

I have noticed though that many committed atheists are at least as fundamental about their beliefs as those maniacs who wrongfully use religion as an excuse for their unpleasant actions.

Les