ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   want to swap blitz nur spec R for quieter exhaust (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/911629-want-to-swap-blitz-nur-spec-r-for-quieter-exhaust.html)

JazzRST 02 November 2011 02:07 AM

want to swap blitz nur spec R for quieter exhaust

I currently have the blitz nur spec R system on my blobeye STi 3inch and am looking for a quieter exhaust, can I get away with just changing the backbox? And would any1 like to swap? And I'm looking for a quieter system as possible

Thanks
Jazz

shambles 02 November 2011 04:05 AM

backbox will do the trick - prodrive will be a lot quieter if you can find one

tubbytommy 02 November 2011 12:04 PM

where are you fella?

subzerokent 02 November 2011 12:07 PM

I've got a standard wrx one would be happy to put some cash your way

JazzRST 02 November 2011 12:29 PM

I'm located in ilford essex, mine is a 3inch not a 2.5inch. Would changing the backbox interfer with the performance?

JazzRST 02 November 2011 12:35 PM

I'm located in ilford essex, mine is a 3inch not a 2.5inch. Would changing the backbox interfer with the performance?

syko89 02 November 2011 12:44 PM

Is it just a catback you have, i have a prodrive from an STI that includes a sports cat.
Whether its a straight swap im not sure.

Get some pics up anyway :)

tubbytommy 02 November 2011 12:51 PM

standard yes

tubbytommy 02 November 2011 12:53 PM

id swap you for an amd miltek if you were nearer, too quiet for me

JazzRST 02 November 2011 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10311355)
id swap you for an amd miltek if you were nearer, too quiet for me

Where u based mate?

m77nos 02 November 2011 01:08 PM

I have a 2.5" sti center and prodrive backbox or Hayward and Scott backbox makes a nice rumble but not loud and doesent drone, based in Harlow Essex.

Chris

00ironst 07 November 2011 12:51 PM

would this fit a classic wrx, if so iv got a hks legamax system

Billet 07 November 2011 03:44 PM

If the car has been mapped to a 3 inch system and you change it for a 2.5 inch one then it would be ideal to have a map tweak to suit.

With a Nur Spec R, you cannot just change the backbox as the Nur Spec R consists of a backbox and centre section. The Nur Spec R centre section will only fit the Nur spec R backbox as the holes for the bolts are at different angles on other backboxes.
So if you want a quiter system then you will have to change it from the cat-back.

Newage systems will fit classics but they are slightly different in length, to get it to fit a classic properly, you need to fit a newage system from the turbo-back but even then the third hangar on the backbox will not line up.

jono300 07 November 2011 04:13 PM

Take it using an exhaust bung is out of the question, have a bung fitted on my own Blitz nur spec cat back and must admit it makes a big difference :-)

JazzRST 07 November 2011 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jono300 (Post 10320170)
Take it using an exhaust bung is out of the question, have a bung fitted on my own Blitz nur spec cat back and must admit it makes a big difference :-)

Hi mate ideally wanted to change it completed but a bung would do for now, had a member on here selling 1 but he sold it already so I've got another thread saying bung needed, what I'm thinking is to change the centre section and the backbox as it seems to be the easiest way due to the size differences mentioned above.

JazzRST 07 November 2011 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tazz (Post 10320130)
If the car has been mapped to a 3 inch system and you change it for a 2.5 inch one then it would be ideal to have a map tweak to suit.

With a Nur Spec R, you cannot just change the backbox as the Nur Spec R consists of a backbox and centre section. The Nur Spec R centre section will only fit the Nur spec R backbox as the holes for the bolts are at different angles on other backboxes.
So if you want a quiter system then you will have to change it from the cat-back.

Newage systems will fit classics but they are slightly different in length, to get it to fit a classic properly, you need to fit a newage system from the turbo-back but even then the third hangar on the backbox will not line up.

Hi tazz thanks for the info, think I might just take the centre section and backbox off and replace it for a different 3inch system but not as loud, would it still require a remap?

m77nos 07 November 2011 05:35 PM

hi mate, if your after a quieter system i have a 3" catback with small resonator on my car currently if you dont want the hayward and scott backbox. I think i sent you an email with a picture on my car.

chris

chrisl25lnf 07 November 2011 05:38 PM

i have a turbo back magnex nice sound and not that noisy..

Billet 07 November 2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by JazzRST (Post 10320201)
Hi tazz thanks for the info, think I might just take the centre section and backbox off and replace it for a different 3inch system but not as loud, would it still require a remap?

no problem mate. When changing something like the exhaust you don't need another full remap. You can get the previous mapper to tweak it for you, if it is needed. A tweak is not necessary when changing exhausts but it is more for the satisfaction of the owner that the fueling etc of the car are fine and the car is running ok.

Most 3" exhausts are 3" outer diameter and 2.75" inner diameter. The blitz nur spec R is 3" inner diameter and 3.25" outer diameter, it is a "True" 3" system.

So when changing from the Nur spec R to another 3" exhaust you may still need a tweak or you may get away with it, only one way to find out and that is to have the mapper look at it.

The other way is to get a quieter exhaust that is also catback and a True 3" system. I think the track day friendly cobra sport system fulfills your needs. drop them a PM.

Tazz

Grant74 07 November 2011 09:01 PM

The reality is that as a 3' system it has so much headroom in terms of flow, even a non true 3' system wont make that much difference.

I have a Revolution system- track friendly and a proper 3'- Im not interested in a swap, but would let it go for reasonable money.

subzerokent 07 November 2011 09:32 PM

I'd be intrested in buying the blitz off you and would happly remove it and fit your new one for you too

JazzRST 09 November 2011 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Grant74 (Post 10320842)
The reality is that as a 3' system it has so much headroom in terms of flow, even a non true 3' system wont make that much difference.

I have a Revolution system- track friendly and a proper 3'- Im not interested in a swap, but would let it go for reasonable money.

Hi mate how much was you looking for?

Originally Posted by subzerokent (Post 10320915)
I'd be intrested in buying the blitz off you and would happly remove it and fit your new one for you too

Hi mate i could be interested, how much you thinking £?

Grant74 09 November 2011 08:02 PM

Sorry just realised you have a new age- mine is on a classic so not sure it will fit