ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Open source mapping? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/910097-open-source-mapping.html)

farmermo 20 October 2011 07:56 PM

Open source mapping?

What's the difference between open source and ecutek mapping?
Other than the price are there any pros and cons for each method?
Cheers

s70rjw 20 October 2011 08:06 PM

I havehad both. Results have been the same. Ecutek you pay £150 for the licence, open source you don't

KAS35RSTI 20 October 2011 08:09 PM

EcuTek all the way!

Open Source you get what you pay for. Abit of this & a bit of that. Call it worms & glitches if you like.

bengo 20 October 2011 09:02 PM

@Kas couldn't disagree more, have you had a bad experience with OpenECU?

Both the same (OpenECU actually has more functionality). The choice of mapper is the most important thing...

craigyp 20 October 2011 09:05 PM

I suppose it's all down to the mapper really!!

madmerlin 20 October 2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by bengo (Post 10292244)

Both the same (OpenECU actually has more functionality). The choice of mapper is the most important thing...

+1:thumb:

scotty44 20 October 2011 09:14 PM

If you have a few hours to kill, take a read here lol

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...n-mapping.html

:thumb:

KAS35RSTI 20 October 2011 09:25 PM

It might just be mapper related.

RS74 21 October 2011 07:48 AM

+1

P1P! 21 October 2011 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RS74 (Post 10292643)
+1

+1

Turbo Tez 21 October 2011 10:08 PM

Ecutek = pants down. Open source gives the same results for less money. Also open source is constantly refined and developed by the people who actually map ecu's.

micaredwrx 21 October 2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Tez (Post 10293811)
Ecutek = pants down. Open source gives the same results for less money. Also open source is constantly refined and developed by the people who actually map ecu's.

+1

Speak to Duncan. Brilliant service, brilliant results and an awesome grin factor :)

scotty44 21 October 2011 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo Tez (Post 10293811)

EDIT :thumb:

Ecutek = pants down. Open source gives the same results for less money. Also open source is constantly refined and developed by some people who can actually map ecu's
and just to add, make sure you get it mapped on the rollers just to make sure your running right IE no Det/Running lean etc.....
Just my opinion from experience :)

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 21 October 2011 11:43 PM

Results are intirely mapper dependant. It makes no difference what software is used to modify the same set of code that is on your ECU.

Hope this helps,

Graham

KAS35RSTI 22 October 2011 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by scotty44 (Post 10293919)
EDIT :thumb:

and just to add, make sure you get it mapped on the rollers just to make sure your running right IE no Det/Running lean etc.....
Just my opinion from experience :)

Looks like that makes two of us!

I once heard OS is put together via stolen software, is this true or could someone clear this up?

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 22 October 2011 01:25 AM

Yes, Scotty had two different mappers use opensource to tune the car with a result of 30bhp difference!

Don't forget the isle of man record breaking car for Subaru was tuned with opensource too by myself and Steve Simpson!

I think if it was stolen it wouldn't still be available.

KAS35RSTI 22 October 2011 09:41 AM

According to a very long thread i read there was not much good things said about OS. This was a discussion between mappers. I will try & find the thread. Think its on 22b.

TonyBurns 22 October 2011 09:47 AM

The biggest difference is that opensource is available to anyone and ecutek isnt, ecutek is more like apple and they vet the people they give it to, opensource.... yes its down to the mapper, no doubt a mapper who does ecutek will do opensource just as well, but there will be plenty of cowboys out there doing opensource where as ecutek you know who is good at it ;)

Tony:)

PS, thats not having a go at anyone, some good mappers out there who do use os :D

PaulJC 22 October 2011 11:39 AM

*Gets popcorn*

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 22 October 2011 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 10294170)
The biggest difference is that opensource is available to anyone and ecutek isnt, ecutek is more like apple and they vet the people they give it to, opensource.... yes its down to the mapper, no doubt a mapper who does ecutek will do opensource just as well, but there will be plenty of cowboys out there doing opensource where as ecutek you know who is good at it ;)

Tony:)

PS, thats not having a go at anyone, some good mappers out there who do use os :D

I would have to agree that EcuTek is much more heavily vetted, however at the end of the day if you are a name in the industry and EcuTek have heard of you then they will sell you the software, so it doesn't always garauntee success.

I've actually found in the last few days that there is a crucial bit in open source software available that EcuTek doesn't seem to make use of, which is key to the longevity and accuracy of the tune.

I think what's really key in the whole argument is what the software is all about. I'd liken it to a PDF viewer, I.e. the software is only really a way of viewing the code and modifying it from the original ECU. It is the definition of the ROM files, (ECU images), that is key to success in getting to all the parts of the ECU that need to be tuned and it seems that OS and EcuTek are really on a par with them.

I've worked on both and been experimenting with both and initially was going to choose to use EcuTek as the offer was there. But I don't believe it brings any benefits to me as a tuner over those that have it, other than the limited availability and the assumed nature that you must be good if you use it.

Genuinely it is entirely down to the mapper only and as I've dealt with EcuTek tuned cars as well as OS tuned cars I can tell you that there are good and bad mappers in both worlds.

Graham

KAS35RSTI 22 October 2011 09:06 PM

Ok fair enough. So how can the glitches be explained? OS has or had loads of glitches which caused lots of mistakes.. For example my car was running crazy AFR & still, till this day no info on how it happened.

A) It could have been mapper related

or

B) It could have been a glitch on the OS software?

:wonder:

PaulJC 22 October 2011 09:10 PM

Bottom line would have to be it's mapper related when you think about it, anyway you look at it the mapper should have A:noticed and B:rectified the situation or informed you they cant map it satisfactorily?

KAS35RSTI 22 October 2011 09:19 PM

This thread shows some of very reputable mappers discussing OS vs Tek https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...n-mapping.html

Points to be noted in there.

Myles 22 October 2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by EngineMapper (Post 10294026)
Don't forget the isle of man record breaking car for Subaru was tuned with opensource too by myself and Steve Simpson!

Im surprised you dont make a bit more of that, its a great achievement and a glowing reference for your business.

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 22 October 2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kas Spec C (Post 10295047)
Ok fair enough. So how can the glitches be explained? OS has or had loads of glitches which caused lots of mistakes.. For example my car was running crazy AFR & still, till this day no info on how it happened.

A) It could have been mapper related

or

B) It could have been a glitch on the OS software?

:wonder:

I am 100% certain I know what happened to your car and how it arrived at Simon like that. I'm not defending the mapper that did it as I've subsequently had lots of the same from him, however the problem is specific to the Subaru ECU and it's abilities to learn which I'm fairly sure that very few mappers really understand to the full extent of how it all works.

As said, EcuTek seems to lack some of the parts relating to this that OS has, so even less of an excuse for it to have happened. But the evidence was provided that it was mapped at the right AFR and ended up on the next dyno at a totally different afr regardless of boost etc.

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 22 October 2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Myles (Post 10295084)
Im surprised you dont make a bit more of that, its a great achievement and a glowing reference for your business.

Don't like to brag...........................................muc h! :norty::lol1:

PaulJC 22 October 2011 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by EngineMapper (Post 10295103)
I am 100% certain I know what happened to your car and how it arrived at Simon like that. I'm not defending the mapper that did it as I've subsequently had lots of the same from him, however the problem is specific to the Subaru ECU and it's abilities to learn which I'm fairly sure that very few mappers really understand to the full extent of how it all works.

As said, EcuTek seems to lack some of the parts relating to this that OS has, so even less of an excuse for it to have happened. But the evidence was provided that it was mapped at the right AFR and ended up on the next dyno at a totally different afr regardless of boost etc.

Longterm A/F Learning correction leaning out the fuel over time?

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 22 October 2011 09:51 PM

That might be the simplest way to look at it yes.

PaulJC 22 October 2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by EngineMapper (Post 10295140)
That might be the simplest way to look at it yes.

I'm open to hearing the non simple explanation? ;)

EngineMapper @ Group B Motorsport 22 October 2011 10:05 PM

I'm not aware of how many truly understand the way in which the original ECU learning abilities work and what happens, so I'm not going to give the game away I'm afraid.

Pay me for a tune and I'll give you the insider's information :lol1:.

It's quite hard to get right to be honest, especially when the modifications to the car are quite substantial, but it is all very achievable when you understand what exactly it is that is needed to make it work long term.