ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   why does a PC suddenly decide it doesn't accept your e-mail password (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/908642-why-does-a-pc-suddenly-decide-it-doesnt-accept-your-e-mail-password.html)

StanS 08 October 2011 09:03 PM

why does a PC suddenly decide it doesn't accept your e-mail password

Spent a couple of hours trying to check e-mails on lap-top and desk top. Both work through the BT home hub. Both decided to ask for user name and password to log on, after going straight on for years ! Neither will accept the password (and I do remember it!). Tried switching off and rebooting, still wants me to enter user name and password :wonder:

Any ideas, or is it a trip to PC World tomorrow ?:(

jono300 08 October 2011 09:18 PM

Having exactly the same problem myself mate with BT / Outlook Express its been like that since yesterday morning and is happening on all computers within the house.can access my email via bt yahoo website but not thru oe.

BLOB EYE 08 October 2011 09:31 PM

have you looked at BT's scheduled maintenance, maybe they upgraded their mail servers.

call support and start logging calls, the only way they will know there is a problem is if its reported.

BLOB EYE 08 October 2011 09:32 PM

are you guys using POP3, if so, change your client settings and get it set up on IMAP, all the settings are on the BT website so dont panic, if you are using IMAP then defo log a call and get the troubleshooting started.

StanS 08 October 2011 09:58 PM

OK, this is obviously an age thing :lol1:

From reply 1 + 2 I'm going with "its not my computer's fault" (thanks Jono & BLOBEYE ! :thumb:

From BLOBEYE's second reply - I am on POP3, but beyond that I haven't a clue what to do about setting it up on IMAP. :lol1::wonder::Whatever_

Thanks Jura for pm and for trying to help - no idea what that is all about :wonder:

Cunning plan is to go to sleep and hope its all better in the morning !:D

Geordie_Aaron 08 October 2011 10:00 PM

it'll be on by this time tomrrow - dont worry :-)

jono300 09 October 2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Geordie_Aaron (Post 10274026)
it'll be on by this time tomrrow - dont worry :-)

Confirmed - now back to normal -

Cheers guys.

John

jono300 09 October 2011 10:00 AM

Spoke to soon - working on my tablet but not on my main desktop pc ??!!

StanS 09 October 2011 10:02 AM

Wuhoo ! I do exist !
I have comms with the world !

So what was all that about ?????

jono300 09 October 2011 04:56 PM

Anyone else still having problems with Outlook Express / bt internet via windows ?? as I say working on my Android tablet now but not on my main desktop pc ??

markjmd 09 October 2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jono300 (Post 10274997)
Anyone else still having problems with Outlook Express / bt internet via windows ?? as I say working on my Android tablet now but not on my main desktop pc ??

Have you gone into your account settings, and re-entered and saved your user-name and password? There isn't much else that can go wrong with a bog standard POP3 email account, if the problem on the provider side has definitely been fixed.

jono300 09 October 2011 05:48 PM

Okay cheers just seems strange others have had exactly the same problems with bt / outlook over the last few days.will do whay you say regards re entering password etc.

As i say now working okay on android but continuing problems with oe via windows.

StickyMicky 09 October 2011 09:01 PM

You did check the capslock ?

jono300 09 October 2011 09:47 PM

Got in now guys thanks.

the username / password was auto remembered and always has been hence I did not have to enter my details again but took the advice given by " markjmd " regards re-entering my details and happy to say service is now back to normal !!

thanks again

StickyMicky 10 October 2011 05:26 AM

So it was the capslock then ;) :lol1:

Mrfastbaz 10 October 2011 08:59 AM

i had that problem last week reentered all account details rest the pop3 details etc and hey presto it worked....but i use virgin .strange..

jono300 10 October 2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 10275900)
So it was the capslock then ;) :lol1:

Nope youv`e lost me mate as deffinatly no caps lock on at anytime ?? it just seemed that with the problems over the last few days that bt / oe have been having, for some reason my username / password was only accepted when after being re-entered ??

as I say pc tablet using android was having exactly the same problem although did not have to re enter my username / password on this as it worked fine just as soon as the service was back up and running.