ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Has anyone seen my $2bn? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/905680-has-anyone-seen-my-2bn.html)

Trout 15 September 2011 09:40 AM

Has anyone seen my $2bn?

UBS seems to have lost some money down the back of the sofa!!!

UBS loses $2bn

UBS join ranks of rogue traders today

David Lock 15 September 2011 10:01 AM

Ouch.........

dl

mamoon2 15 September 2011 10:05 AM

Chief Executive Oswald Gruebel said "We have been unable to contact the member of staff in question as he is fishing in Alaska and is unreachable"

:Suspiciou

Trout 15 September 2011 10:18 AM

:)

hutton_d 15 September 2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 10237155)
Chief Executive Oswald Gruebel said "We have been unable to contact the member of staff in question as he is swimming with the fishes in Alaska and is unreachable"

:Suspiciou

EFA :thumb:

alloy 15 September 2011 11:24 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3h4L_FPgDs

Tidgy 15 September 2011 12:11 PM

i bet hes been eaten by a polar bear ;) ;)

mamoon2 15 September 2011 12:19 PM

You lot do realise that my quote is completely made up as a joke to Trout who was fishing in Alaska recently, insinuating he has stole the money.

The guy is not actually missing

Tidgy 15 September 2011 12:22 PM

darn, i've been had lol

alright for some init,

o speaking of which. did you see the drag race that the 911 gt 3 being eaten by the gtr? hehe

TelBoy 15 September 2011 01:16 PM

Astonishing amount to lose. Or more accurately, an astonishing amount for risk control at UBS to miss.

Apparently he's an ETF trader for those who know what that is, and that makes such a loss even more incredible.

He was arrested early this morning on charges of fraud. Bet he's had a few sleepless nights...

speedking 15 September 2011 01:19 PM

I thought UBS made memory sticks for dyslexic people :confused:

tony de wonderful 15 September 2011 01:26 PM

Some one(s) must have taken the other side of this guys bet(s)?

TelBoy 15 September 2011 01:31 PM

Yep, indeed. Zero sum game but there's a book profit of $2bn somewhere else. Nice day at the office.

In human terms it's not great, although banker-sympathy is probably lower than whale$hit at the bottom of the ocean still. UBS recently fired 3,500 people to save roughly the same amount of money, so in theory this guy could have cost a further 3,500 people their jobs.

tony de wonderful 15 September 2011 01:40 PM

Time to double down. :)

Trout 15 September 2011 03:38 PM

There is a rumour it was linked to a Swissie position which was badly hit by the recent Swiss Government intervention and the massive 8% swing in Forex.

Maybe he was trying to chase after his loss.

TelBoy 15 September 2011 03:44 PM

But even with an 8% devaluation, a $2bn loss would require a massive initial position, unless it was leveraged to crazy levels. It can't have been an ETF trade, possibly the reason he was arrested for fraud. I'll be interested to hear the explanation when it's released.

Trout 15 September 2011 04:29 PM

I agree - crazy

Trout 15 September 2011 04:57 PM

Kweku Adoboli

Director ETF and Delta1 Trading at UBS Investment Bank

jonc 15 September 2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10237359)
Astonishing amount to lose. Or more accurately, an astonishing amount for risk control at UBS to miss.

Apparently he's an ETF trader for those who know what that is, and that makes such a loss even more incredible.

He was arrested early this morning on charges of fraud. Bet he's had a few sleepless nights...

Yes, he was arrested at 3.30am at his desk!

Trout 15 September 2011 05:55 PM

His Linked In profile is outdated.

I have heard he was global head of synthetic equities so it is very possible he could have run up this position.

tony de wonderful 15 September 2011 05:58 PM

What's the actual crime here then? He's bet large with the banks money and lost but that was his job anyway?

Piss poor money management skills but that's not a crime per se? :D

GlesgaKiss 15 September 2011 05:58 PM

Unbelievable. As terrible a thing to do as it is, part of me can't help feeling a little sympathy for him.

tony de wonderful 15 September 2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10237689)
Unbelievable. As terrible a thing to do as it is, part of me can't help feeling a little sympathy for him.

Yes I would imagine the end came as relief, but was the rug pulled from under him or did he throw the towel in himself?

GlesgaKiss 15 September 2011 06:25 PM

I'd imagine it would be quite difficult to hide positions that size from the rest of the company in this day and age, but who knows.

This whole 'fraud' thing sounds a bit suspicious. I could be wrong without knowing the facts, but I'd tend to agree with you... it sounds like he's just lost a lot of dosh!

Trout 15 September 2011 06:33 PM

If he concealed the trades or went beyond his level of control then it is fraud...

...just like Nick Leeson and Casaviel.

You have to think that if the bank controls allowed it then they are culpable.

tony de wonderful 15 September 2011 06:40 PM

You may ask what a Bank is doing gambling like this anyway.

Trout 15 September 2011 06:43 PM

TdW - idiot :)

tony de wonderful 15 September 2011 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 10237764)
TdW - idiot :)

Come off it Trout. That is a legitimate question about the nature of our financial institutions.

Obviously this guy risked more money than he was supposed to, but you still have a banking institution engaging in trading...it adds another layer of risk to institutions which supposedly are so important to our civilisation that we cannot do without them, being as they are 'too big/important to fail'.

GlesgaKiss 15 September 2011 08:11 PM

I can see both sides of this one. On the one hand, this guy will make a convenient scapegoat for the possible imprudence of those above. Then again, if he's overridden his setup somehow to do this, he should take the majority of the blame. Defending it would be a bit like saying it's your fault if one of your employees wrecks your premises.

At some level they could probably have probably done more to prevent it though. They always could, and this will be another wake up call to put better safeguards in place. If he's overridden the system then he's basically removed money from his employers by force to play with.

Suresh 15 September 2011 08:19 PM

What a James Hunt. The Swiss National Bank could close down the IB for this and 10,000's would lose their jobs and ex-employees watch their cv's go further down the toilet*. He should kill himself if he feels so badly. IMHO I'm all heart me!

*1989-1999 London & Zurich for my sins