ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   chipped ecu question guys (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/890324-chipped-ecu-question-guys.html)

jta 27 May 2011 11:07 AM

chipped ecu question guys

I have a 95 impoprt 260bhp stander was wondering if the extra 30bhp from a chip makes a huge difference ?

question 2 anyone herd of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
if so what did you make of them if not what do you think ?

question 3
would it be worth buying this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

would it give me any better power or am i paying for the same ?

thanks in advance guys

my94wrx 27 May 2011 11:33 AM

go for the polar chip with the ecu.

Tidgy 27 May 2011 11:35 AM

get it mapped properly rather than chipped, better results and safer option.

EOEUMC 27 May 2011 11:43 AM

I bought an ECU from someone off of here a long time ago now and it was set up for the same mods I had on my classic at the time.
I had a big problem with it though. It kept hitting fuel cut if I was to nail it as hard as possible! :mad:

Not a nice feeling when it feels like your hitting a :brickwall

Be careful on what your buying, but I would say Polar would be a better option out of the 2 above.

N_Scooby 27 May 2011 01:24 PM

Polar Performance chips are great. I used to run one and never had any issues with it at all.

musso2010 27 May 2011 01:25 PM

Polar for sure.

scooby kid 27 May 2011 02:03 PM

polar would be fine.

tubbytommy 27 May 2011 02:11 PM

even get enharnsments whatever they may be!

Glowplug 27 May 2011 02:42 PM

Been running Polar chip for 3 years now. Zero issues. :thumb:

And oh yes, you will feel the extra 30bhp. ;)

joz8968 27 May 2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10060502)

Yeah, not sure what "enharnsments" are either.

But I do know what "enhancements" are... :lol1: :D

;)

Glowplug 27 May 2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by tubbytommy (Post 10060502)

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 10060551)
Yeah, not sure what "enharnsments" are either.

But I do know what enhancements are... :lol1: :D

;)

I don't understand the post at all! :confused:

jta 27 May 2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 10060266)
get it mapped properly rather than chipped, better results and safer option.

didnt know you could get the classic mapped..thought it had to be chipped

scooby kid 27 May 2011 03:23 PM

Esl fiited into the early classic ecu is mappable

bigsinky 27 May 2011 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by scooby kid (Post 10060603)
Esl fiited into the early classic ecu is mappable

as is ecutek, simtec, apexi, solaris, motec. it just depends on how deep your pockets are.

jta 27 May 2011 04:38 PM

My wife is a full time student i have 2 young children and a mortgage lol i dont even have pockets atm

bigsinky 27 May 2011 05:04 PM

then you have the wrong car mate. subaru = bottomless pit. if you are happy with what you have then you might be ok, if the running costs and servicing don't kill you. remember modifying your car will hike your insurance bill up as well. as you are on here asking about ecu upgrades i suspect you might want a little more. that being the case, you can't do things on the cheap, it is false economy. you need to make sure your car is safe. enjoy it for what it is. look after your family first, your car should be coming well down the list. when you have some disposable income take it stage by stage. better handling before power. brakes, suspension, ARBs, droplinks. then think about doing the power properly. proper ecu, afr guage, knock detector, boost guage etc. making your car safe costs money. if you want to run an egine out of spec then you have to be prepared to take the consequences that may go with it. do you have £2k for a rebuild, will that chavvy corsa owner you just raced put his hand in his pocket when your engine $hits itself? engines have a finite life. older engines with worn pistons, conrods, oil pumps, big end bearings will not take the same abuse as a newly forged engine (truth be told there are no guaruntees with a new forged engine either).

just some thoughts from someone who has been in your position and nearly bankrupted himself chasing big power figures. (not quite but it was an obscene amount of money)

jta 27 May 2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigsinky (Post 10060845)
then you have the wrong car mate. subaru = bottomless pit. if you are happy with what you have then you might be ok, if the running costs and servicing don't kill you. remember modifying your car will hike your insurance bill up as well. as you are on here asking about ecu upgrades i suspect you might want a little more. that being the case, you can't do things on the cheap, it is false economy. you need to make sure your car is safe. enjoy it for what it is. look after your family first, your car should be coming well down the list. when you have some disposable income take it stage by stage. better handling before power. brakes, suspension, ARBs, droplinks. then think about doing the power properly. proper ecu, afr guage, knock detector, boost guage etc. making your car safe costs money. if you want to run an egine out of spec then you have to be prepared to take the consequences that may go with it. do you have £2k for a rebuild, will that chavvy corsa owner you just raced put his hand in his pocket when your engine $hits itself? engines have a finite life. older engines with worn pistons, conrods, oil pumps, big end bearings will not take the same abuse as a newly forged engine (truth be told there are no guaruntees with a new forged engine either).

just some thoughts from someone who has been in your position and nearly bankrupted himself chasing big power figures. (not quite but it was an obscene amount of money)

:notworthy

Thanks dude thats very good of you i appreiate the advice..i was looking for a little more but then thought is it worth it for 30bhp it may cost me a lot more in the long run..i actually dont think i will chip it now ill wait 2 year till my wife wife degree finishes then we will have very deep pockets indeed to modify..I think the speed is a bug i had a 420bhp astra mkii astra but we spent £7k on the engine and box etc etc then i got a motorbike which i recently sold to buy the impreza, which dont get me wrong is a HUGE amount of fun to drive i just want a little more lol

bigsinky 27 May 2011 06:01 PM

OMG :eek: 2 people taking advice in one day. it must be some sort of SN record.

Glowplug 27 May 2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by jta (Post 10060857)
:notworthy

Thanks dude thats very good of you i appreiate the advice..i was looking for a little more but then thought is it worth it for 30bhp it may cost me a lot more in the long run..i actually dont think i will chip it now ill wait 2 year till my wife wife degree finishes then we will have very deep pockets indeed to modify..I think the speed is a bug i had a 420bhp astra mkii astra but we spent £7k on the engine and box etc etc then i got a motorbike which i recently sold to buy the impreza, which dont get me wrong is a HUGE amount of fun to drive i just want a little more lol

Bigsinkys advice is spot on.:thumb:

If your engine does "**** itself" with the PP chip fitted then chances are it was going to let go any way. It just happened sooner than later due to the extra stress put on a 'unfit' engine by the increased power and the increased use of said power by you.
If your engine is 'fit' and well maintained there is no reason why it should not handle the extra 30 bhp.
Truth is, the chip is probably putting your power output closer to 'book'. Restoring lost power rather than increasing by the full 30. I would think an abused example can lose hell of a lot over 15+ years. ;)

dj219957 27 May 2011 06:20 PM

the gains from the chips are not as massive as everyone makes out. not in my case anyway. see here https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...no-result.html.

as above, if your pockets are not deep then dont get too bothered chiping it. the z4 ecu you should already have is a good ecu and works great on 97 ron or more fuel.