ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   cycling for health (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/887747-cycling-for-health.html)

tarmac terror 08 May 2011 08:17 PM

cycling for health

Since taking some time off work at Easter I decided to dig out my bike, give it a service and stick a few miles on it. I has been hard work, having not cycled anywhere in ages.

Was doing quite well making a start at 530 on alternate mornings covering a round trip of 12 miles on a nice scenic coastal route.

Decided this afternoon to take the same route on the way back I couldn't believe how difficult it was to cycle into a headwind which was only about 20mph. There are a couple of small hills to descend on the return leg, the headwind was forcing me to pedal down hill just to keep a moving.

Have been aiming to get to a point where I can make the 22 mile trip to work and back on two wheels - even if I only do it once, that is my aim. Today knocked the wind out of me a bit, if you don't mind the pun, as 6 miles into a solid headwind, has left my legs a bit rubberised.

Any tips from the experienced cyclists in those conditions, is it a case of head down, gear down and keep spinning???

Have been wondering if this is where riding a road bike gives an advantage with lesser rolling resistance from road tyres and a less upright riding position.

astraboy 08 May 2011 08:20 PM

Pump up your tyres to 50psi,
if you have suspension make sure its as stiff as possible,
take lots of water with you!
astraboy.

ScoobySteve69 08 May 2011 08:25 PM

Simple answer, get a bike suitable for road riding (road bike). It`s a world of difference mate :thumb:

If that`s not an option, invest in some proper mountain bike road tyres.

Kieran_Burns 08 May 2011 08:27 PM

Highest pressure possible on the tyres and MTFU ;)

Wind is a nightmare at the best of times, and possibly the greatest PITA going when you're trying to get somewhere.

Big things to note (and this one of the BIG reasons why cyclists wear lycra): flappy clothes increase wind resistance, make sure you haven't got open zips (on jackets! ;) ), loose t-shirts, shorts etc increasing the drag.
Tyre pressure as above and get some semi-slicks if you have an MTB, you'd be amazed at the difference

Road bikes do make a huge difference, my cruising speed is noticeably higher when I'm on my carbon road bike as opposed to my CX bike.

tarmac terror 08 May 2011 08:58 PM

I did have a high-viz vest on, which I was contemplating removing at one point as it was flapping in the breeze, but it was a trade off between lowering my drag co-efficient and making sure I was seen as motorists typically don't have their eyes on the road or even facing forward due to this being the scenic route. Some proper cycling gear is needed. Don't give a flying what's it how I look in lycra, as indicated, it is needed to perform a function.

Have been reading a fair bit about equipment and bikes. I gather that the aim is to buy a bike that is as light as possible and as rigid as possible for road use and this should ideally be matched to my height to ensure a comfortable riding position. Noticed today that a lot of the well kitted out cyclists were wearing gloves - what is the deal with that, it is to protect your hands if you come off? Although windy, it certainly wasn't cold.

Kieran_Burns 08 May 2011 09:06 PM

no - the gloves are almost entirely for the (preferably) gel padding on the palms. You're *meant* to have very little weight resting on the hands when cycling... yeah right... but the padding on the palms make for a much more comfortable ride.

Straight wrists is the key when cycling, relieves pressure on the ulnar nerve which you can feel as pins and needles (or numb hands) if you're bending the hands back.

vindaloo 09 May 2011 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by tarmac terror (Post 10029215)
Since taking some time off work at Easter I decided to dig out my bike, give it a service and stick a few miles on it. I has been hard work, having not cycled anywhere in ages.

Was doing quite well making a start at 530 on alternate mornings covering a round trip of 12 miles on a nice scenic coastal route.

Decided this afternoon to take the same route on the way back I couldn't believe how difficult it was to cycle into a headwind which was only about 20mph. There are a couple of small hills to descend on the return leg, the headwind was forcing me to pedal down hill just to keep a moving.

Have been aiming to get to a point where I can make the 22 mile trip to work and back on two wheels - even if I only do it once, that is my aim. Today knocked the wind out of me a bit, if you don't mind the pun, as 6 miles into a solid headwind, has left my legs a bit rubberised.

Any tips from the experienced cyclists in those conditions, is it a case of head down, gear down and keep spinning???

Have been wondering if this is where riding a road bike gives an advantage with lesser rolling resistance from road tyres and a less upright riding position.

For headwinds, I find it best to find a reasonable rate of progress and maintain it, even if it's 12mph where I'd normally be doing 18-20.

Even on a road bike, headwinds will still be a PITA, but essentially, you're right. Riding in a proper drop position greatly decreases your coefficient of drag. Wearing decent gear that's properly fastened and not flapping about also helps greatly in this regard.

J.

fatherpierre 09 May 2011 01:30 AM

Thin, but hard tyres and a bit of personal discipline.

You get used to it after a bit, and it becomes normal.

Your fitness will join you qiucker than you imagine. I do about 28 miles per day and actually enjoy it. I feel guilty when I need to use the train on the odd day that I can't carry stuff in.

Good time of year to start. Just be careful, and don't think like you do if you were driving.............. please.

fatherpierre 09 May 2011 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 10029774)
For headwinds, I find it best to find a reasonable rate of progress and maintain it, even if it's 12mph where I'd normally be doing 18-20.

Even on a road bike, headwinds will still be a PITA, but essentially, you're right. Riding in a proper drop position greatly decreases your coefficient of drag. Wearing decent gear that's properly fastened and not flapping about also helps greatly in this regard.

J.

A decent bike wipes most of this out..........

hutton_d 09 May 2011 09:45 AM

VERY hard tyres - I cannot understand these people you see riding their bikes about with almost flat tyres!
Get a cycling computer with a 'cadence' function and ignore the speed/total time functions until you're fit(ter). I've found that by just checking my cadence (leg rpm ...) is right (for me) I can get faster without checking my time.

Dave

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 09:52 AM

This is day 4 of my commute - a 32 mile round trip. So, 22 miles should be easy ;) (MTFU :D )

Anyway, joking aside, I'm on a road bike and I wear lycra (though I have committed a cardinal sin of wearing knee length trackie bottoms when it's chilly in the morning! :eek: Don't tell them over at Bike Radar FFS...)

You can get really obsessed with "stuff", but the best thing to do for wobbly legs is do more cycling! I used to get wobbly legs after doing a few miles, now I can do 30 without getting it, and I live in Northamptonshire where round every corner is another bloody hill!

Commuting is something I thought I never do, but I am and it's great! :thumb:

Puff The Magic Wagon! 09 May 2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10029997)
This is day 4 of my commute - a 32 mile round trip. So, 22 miles should be easy ;) (MTFU :D )

Anyway, joking aside, I'm on a road bike and I wear lycra (though I have committed a cardinal sin of wearing knee length trackie bottoms when it's chilly in the morning! :eek: Don't tell them over at Bike Radar FFS...)

You can get really obsessed with "stuff", but the best thing to do for wobbly legs is do more cycling! I used to get wobbly legs after doing a few miles, now I can do 30 without getting it, and I live in Northamptonshire where round every corner is another bloody hill!

Haha - that you Clare_M ???

vindaloo 09 May 2011 11:21 AM

Northamptonshire... Rode from Easton Maudit to Northampton last year whilst my other car was being serviced. Headwind all the way to Northampton. Was only 12 miles or so but I thought I'd never make it.
Visited the Frog Island Brewery. :)

J.

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 10030120)
Haha - that you Clare_M ???

Yeah, who are you? ;)

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 10030127)
Northamptonshire... Rode from Easton Maudit to Northampton last year whilst my other car was being serviced. Headwind all the way to Northampton. Was only 12 miles or so but I thought I'd never make it.
Visited the Frog Island Brewery. :)

J.

Where's Easton Maudit? Heard of it, but can't place it. Is the brewery near the petrol station? I've never been....

Kieran_Burns 09 May 2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10030132)
Yeah, who are you? ;)

We're slowly taking over BR Commuting :lol1:

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 12:17 PM

You did post on my thread Kieran and I did reply by saying something like I expected J4CKO to turn up any minute :)

J4CKO 09 May 2011 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10030198)
You did post on my thread Kieran and I did reply by saying something like I expected J4CKO to turn up any minute :)

You will find me, very occasionally on Cyclechat.

austinwrx 09 May 2011 01:08 PM

you'l find most cyclists have gloves, mainly to absorb a bit of the bounce- they tend to be padded, but in summer for wiping the sweat off your brow as you ride.

just stick at it, it'll get easier and easier.

£40 on some road tyres for a mtb will change everything though.

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 10030226)
You will find me, very occasionally on Cyclechat.

Just browsing... :)

I wear gloves and yes, they do come in handy for nose wipes etc. which may be the reason I have 3 pairs :)

Kieran_Burns 09 May 2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10030198)

For God's sake don't get involved in the double entendre thread.... :lol1:

ScoobySteve69 09 May 2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10030269)
Just browsing... :)

I wear gloves and yes, they do come in handy for nose wipes etc. which may be the reason I have 3 pairs :)

Is that cos you have a very runny nose :D

Kieran_Burns 09 May 2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69 (Post 10030308)
Is that cos you have a very runny nose :D

not wearing wrap around specs can cause a runny nose. Yet another piece of the cycling kit you swore you'd never buy now a requirement ;)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 09 May 2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10030132)
Yeah, who are you? ;)

Work it out :p

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 10030302)
For God's sake don't get involved in the double entendre thread.... :lol1:

I did read that :lol1: Some people are more pedantic than some on here! :eek:

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon! (Post 10030325)
Work it out :p

I can't.... Have you posted on my thread? :Suspiciou

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns (Post 10030313)
not wearing wrap around specs can cause a runny nose. Yet another piece of the cycling kit you swore you'd never buy now a requirement ;)

I have wrap around glasses, (dhb ones with interchangeable lenses ;) ) but I find any form of exercise makes my nose run. Yes, I am a weirdo.

andythejock01wrx 09 May 2011 07:35 PM

Yes, Scotland-shire is a wee bit like that too Clare! ;)

Use a roadbike to get into work a few days a week. Have always worn baggies for the commute and skinnies for the weekend stuff. Thinking of being daring and sticking to the lyrca all the time on the roadbike! :D

PS My nose runs when cycling in the cold - thought of using a decongestants!

Andy

Clarebabes 09 May 2011 07:41 PM

I nearly gave up tonight though Andy, the wind was so strong. Somewhere where I could get 17-19MPH averages were down to 9MPH and my legs just weren't having it. Had to stop and eat an apple, lol :)

I can put up with the nose, though I do constantly breathe through my mouth which catches the odd fly :lol1:

andythejock01wrx 09 May 2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 10030885)
I nearly gave up tonight though Andy, the wind was so strong. Somewhere where I could get 17-19MPH averages were down to 9MPH and my legs just weren't having it. Had to stop and eat an apple, lol :)

I can put up with the nose, though I do constantly breathe through my mouth which catches the odd fly :lol1:

That's a pretty bad wind, but I've been there!

lol at the apple! :lol1:

Had a good cycle back home tonight. 10 miles uphill, normally into the wind, but not tonight! Gears not working too great and have just had new chain and rear cassette fitted. Back to the shop!