Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

cycling for health

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2011, 08:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cycling for health

Since taking some time off work at Easter I decided to dig out my bike, give it a service and stick a few miles on it. I has been hard work, having not cycled anywhere in ages.

Was doing quite well making a start at 530 on alternate mornings covering a round trip of 12 miles on a nice scenic coastal route.

Decided this afternoon to take the same route on the way back I couldn't believe how difficult it was to cycle into a headwind which was only about 20mph. There are a couple of small hills to descend on the return leg, the headwind was forcing me to pedal down hill just to keep a moving.

Have been aiming to get to a point where I can make the 22 mile trip to work and back on two wheels - even if I only do it once, that is my aim. Today knocked the wind out of me a bit, if you don't mind the pun, as 6 miles into a solid headwind, has left my legs a bit rubberised.

Any tips from the experienced cyclists in those conditions, is it a case of head down, gear down and keep spinning???

Have been wondering if this is where riding a road bike gives an advantage with lesser rolling resistance from road tyres and a less upright riding position.
Old 08 May 2011, 08:20 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Pump up your tyres to 50psi,
if you have suspension make sure its as stiff as possible,
take lots of water with you!
astraboy.
Old 08 May 2011, 08:25 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Simple answer, get a bike suitable for road riding (road bike). It`s a world of difference mate

If that`s not an option, invest in some proper mountain bike road tyres.

Last edited by ScoobySteve69; 08 May 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08 May 2011, 08:27 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Highest pressure possible on the tyres and MTFU

Wind is a nightmare at the best of times, and possibly the greatest PITA going when you're trying to get somewhere.

Big things to note (and this one of the BIG reasons why cyclists wear lycra): flappy clothes increase wind resistance, make sure you haven't got open zips (on jackets! ), loose t-shirts, shorts etc increasing the drag.
Tyre pressure as above and get some semi-slicks if you have an MTB, you'd be amazed at the difference

Road bikes do make a huge difference, my cruising speed is noticeably higher when I'm on my carbon road bike as opposed to my CX bike.
Old 08 May 2011, 08:58 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I did have a high-viz vest on, which I was contemplating removing at one point as it was flapping in the breeze, but it was a trade off between lowering my drag co-efficient and making sure I was seen as motorists typically don't have their eyes on the road or even facing forward due to this being the scenic route. Some proper cycling gear is needed. Don't give a flying what's it how I look in lycra, as indicated, it is needed to perform a function.

Have been reading a fair bit about equipment and bikes. I gather that the aim is to buy a bike that is as light as possible and as rigid as possible for road use and this should ideally be matched to my height to ensure a comfortable riding position. Noticed today that a lot of the well kitted out cyclists were wearing gloves - what is the deal with that, it is to protect your hands if you come off? Although windy, it certainly wasn't cold.
Old 08 May 2011, 09:06 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

no - the gloves are almost entirely for the (preferably) gel padding on the palms. You're *meant* to have very little weight resting on the hands when cycling... yeah right... but the padding on the palms make for a much more comfortable ride.

Straight wrists is the key when cycling, relieves pressure on the ulnar nerve which you can feel as pins and needles (or numb hands) if you're bending the hands back.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:08 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Since taking some time off work at Easter I decided to dig out my bike, give it a service and stick a few miles on it. I has been hard work, having not cycled anywhere in ages.

Was doing quite well making a start at 530 on alternate mornings covering a round trip of 12 miles on a nice scenic coastal route.

Decided this afternoon to take the same route on the way back I couldn't believe how difficult it was to cycle into a headwind which was only about 20mph. There are a couple of small hills to descend on the return leg, the headwind was forcing me to pedal down hill just to keep a moving.

Have been aiming to get to a point where I can make the 22 mile trip to work and back on two wheels - even if I only do it once, that is my aim. Today knocked the wind out of me a bit, if you don't mind the pun, as 6 miles into a solid headwind, has left my legs a bit rubberised.

Any tips from the experienced cyclists in those conditions, is it a case of head down, gear down and keep spinning???

Have been wondering if this is where riding a road bike gives an advantage with lesser rolling resistance from road tyres and a less upright riding position.
For headwinds, I find it best to find a reasonable rate of progress and maintain it, even if it's 12mph where I'd normally be doing 18-20.

Even on a road bike, headwinds will still be a PITA, but essentially, you're right. Riding in a proper drop position greatly decreases your coefficient of drag. Wearing decent gear that's properly fastened and not flapping about also helps greatly in this regard.

J.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:30 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Thin, but hard tyres and a bit of personal discipline.

You get used to it after a bit, and it becomes normal.

Your fitness will join you qiucker than you imagine. I do about 28 miles per day and actually enjoy it. I feel guilty when I need to use the train on the odd day that I can't carry stuff in.

Good time of year to start. Just be careful, and don't think like you do if you were driving.............. please.

Last edited by fatherpierre; 09 May 2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:33 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
For headwinds, I find it best to find a reasonable rate of progress and maintain it, even if it's 12mph where I'd normally be doing 18-20.

Even on a road bike, headwinds will still be a PITA, but essentially, you're right. Riding in a proper drop position greatly decreases your coefficient of drag. Wearing decent gear that's properly fastened and not flapping about also helps greatly in this regard.

J.
A decent bike wipes most of this out..........
Old 09 May 2011, 09:52 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

This is day 4 of my commute - a 32 mile round trip. So, 22 miles should be easy (MTFU )

Anyway, joking aside, I'm on a road bike and I wear lycra (though I have committed a cardinal sin of wearing knee length trackie bottoms when it's chilly in the morning! Don't tell them over at Bike Radar FFS...)

You can get really obsessed with "stuff", but the best thing to do for wobbly legs is do more cycling! I used to get wobbly legs after doing a few miles, now I can do 30 without getting it, and I live in Northamptonshire where round every corner is another bloody hill!

Commuting is something I thought I never do, but I am and it's great!
Old 09 May 2011, 11:12 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
This is day 4 of my commute - a 32 mile round trip. So, 22 miles should be easy (MTFU )

Anyway, joking aside, I'm on a road bike and I wear lycra (though I have committed a cardinal sin of wearing knee length trackie bottoms when it's chilly in the morning! Don't tell them over at Bike Radar FFS...)

You can get really obsessed with "stuff", but the best thing to do for wobbly legs is do more cycling! I used to get wobbly legs after doing a few miles, now I can do 30 without getting it, and I live in Northamptonshire where round every corner is another bloody hill!

Haha - that you Clare_M ???
Old 09 May 2011, 11:21 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Northamptonshire... Rode from Easton Maudit to Northampton last year whilst my other car was being serviced. Headwind all the way to Northampton. Was only 12 miles or so but I thought I'd never make it.
Visited the Frog Island Brewery.

J.
Old 09 May 2011, 11:23 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Haha - that you Clare_M ???
Yeah, who are you?
Old 09 May 2011, 11:24 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Northamptonshire... Rode from Easton Maudit to Northampton last year whilst my other car was being serviced. Headwind all the way to Northampton. Was only 12 miles or so but I thought I'd never make it.
Visited the Frog Island Brewery.

J.
Where's Easton Maudit? Heard of it, but can't place it. Is the brewery near the petrol station? I've never been....
Old 09 May 2011, 12:02 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah, who are you?

We're slowly taking over BR Commuting
Old 09 May 2011, 12:17 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

You did post on my thread Kieran and I did reply by saying something like I expected J4CKO to turn up any minute
Old 09 May 2011, 12:41 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did post on my thread Kieran and I did reply by saying something like I expected J4CKO to turn up any minute
You will find me, very occasionally on Cyclechat.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:08 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

you'l find most cyclists have gloves, mainly to absorb a bit of the bounce- they tend to be padded, but in summer for wiping the sweat off your brow as you ride.

just stick at it, it'll get easier and easier.

£40 on some road tyres for a mtb will change everything though.
Old 09 May 2011, 01:21 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
You will find me, very occasionally on Cyclechat.
Just browsing...

I wear gloves and yes, they do come in handy for nose wipes etc. which may be the reason I have 3 pairs
Old 09 May 2011, 01:43 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

For God's sake don't get involved in the double entendre thread....
Old 09 May 2011, 01:45 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Just browsing...

I wear gloves and yes, they do come in handy for nose wipes etc. which may be the reason I have 3 pairs
Is that cos you have a very runny nose
Old 09 May 2011, 01:47 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Is that cos you have a very runny nose

not wearing wrap around specs can cause a runny nose. Yet another piece of the cycling kit you swore you'd never buy now a requirement
Old 09 May 2011, 01:55 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, who are you?

Work it out
Old 09 May 2011, 07:12 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
For God's sake don't get involved in the double entendre thread....
I did read that Some people are more pedantic than some on here!
Old 09 May 2011, 07:19 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Work it out
I can't.... Have you posted on my thread?
Old 09 May 2011, 07:20 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
not wearing wrap around specs can cause a runny nose. Yet another piece of the cycling kit you swore you'd never buy now a requirement
I have wrap around glasses, (dhb ones with interchangeable lenses ) but I find any form of exercise makes my nose run. Yes, I am a weirdo.
Old 09 May 2011, 07:35 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Yes, Scotland-shire is a wee bit like that too Clare!

Use a roadbike to get into work a few days a week. Have always worn baggies for the commute and skinnies for the weekend stuff. Thinking of being daring and sticking to the lyrca all the time on the roadbike!

PS My nose runs when cycling in the cold - thought of using a decongestants!

Andy

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 09 May 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09 May 2011, 07:41 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I nearly gave up tonight though Andy, the wind was so strong. Somewhere where I could get 17-19MPH averages were down to 9MPH and my legs just weren't having it. Had to stop and eat an apple, lol

I can put up with the nose, though I do constantly breathe through my mouth which catches the odd fly
Old 09 May 2011, 08:58 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I nearly gave up tonight though Andy, the wind was so strong. Somewhere where I could get 17-19MPH averages were down to 9MPH and my legs just weren't having it. Had to stop and eat an apple, lol

I can put up with the nose, though I do constantly breathe through my mouth which catches the odd fly
That's a pretty bad wind, but I've been there!

lol at the apple!

Had a good cycle back home tonight. 10 miles uphill, normally into the wind, but not tonight! Gears not working too great and have just had new chain and rear cassette fitted. Back to the shop!

Quick Reply: cycling for health