ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   SickBug.................... (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/886902-sickbug.html)

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by notfub (Post 10019280)
Thinking aloud here but could it be.....

A failed coil pack, resulting in no spark in one of the cylinders? But would Simon see a check engine light if a coil pack failed?

Other thoughts I had relate to head gasket and pressurising the cooling system BUT no oil contamination so that's not it.

Si, hope it's something simple mate. I'm here if you need a lift anywhere mate :thumb:

Cheers Deano - thanks for that, odd stuff eh Mate - I've had no CEL's for some time :wonder:

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10019287)
I can plug my laptop in if you want Simon to see for any stored faults if you want, but given your overheating problem recently I think you might have cooked your engine and today unluckily it finally let go. :(

2 incidents of overheating prior to the thermo removal, at low speeds and no more than 2 miles in total for the both occassions - would that be enough o cook it up :wonder:

The Stitcher 02 May 2011 11:14 PM

sorry to here about your car fella, first if you had a leak from thermo housing why did you not fix it straght away ? and why run it with no thermostat ? this is not good as engine needs a thermostat to help it get to the right running temps as fast as possible for everything to run at its best

the noise and smoke could just be that turbo oil seals gone as water cools turbo but if water run low etc could have over heated it maybe and fudged oil seals if got to hot ?

did u check old thermostat to see if it was working ??

dose your rad fans still work ?

prodriverules 02 May 2011 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by catalunya 172 (Post 10019414)
sorry to here about your car fella, first if you had a leak from thermo housing why did you not fix it straght away ? and why run it with no thermostat ? this is not good as engine needs a thermostat to help it get to the right running temps as fast as possible for everything to run at its best

the noise and smoke could just be that turbo oil seals gone as water cools turbo but if water run low etc could have over heated it maybe and fudged oil seals if got to hot ?

Have you seen my thread Lee about my old girl:(

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by catalunya 172 (Post 10019414)

Hi Mate, the leak at the thermo housing was noticed after the thermostat was removed, I tried to tighten the bolts but even this did not prevent the seepage from the housing/block join. I understand now that the stat is the seal (rubber ring around it).

It needed about 500 mls of top up every day and a new thermostat was being ordered.

After the stat was removed I didn't get any repeat of the 2 overheating incidents and the car was running at near normal temps.

I thought it would be OK to run without a Stat in this weather, it was running between jut over a 1/4 and 1/2 way, on the temp gauge and took a little longer to warm up.

The rad was replaced after the 1st overheating incident, due to an end tank leaking - I thought that the car was losing fluid through the end tank under pressure. I guess the stat out, was the next port of call for a diagnosis, as when the new rad was fitted it got over hot again. The stat removal stopped it overheating.

The old Stat was placed in boiling water for while and it opened about 1cm - I read that it should open around 2.5cms around an inch :wonder:

The rad fans work fine.

The Stitcher 02 May 2011 11:57 PM

think you would need dylan or redwards to have a quick look at what that noise and smoke is as soon as mate and get that leak done and new thermo in then just leave the car run standing keeping a close eye on what the temps and engine is doing to check for leaks etc..and all fans ect working, it would also be a good idea to get a water temp gauge fitted at some stage as the impreza one in dash is poop lol

Not to scare you but might need to do a compression test to check everything is ok bottom end and that the ring lands or pistons are not damaged

Rally fan 555 03 May 2011 08:22 AM

Yeah I think that would be a good plan and a comp test would be good too, even if it's worrying !!

DYL 4N 03 May 2011 08:49 AM

Be home at 3 ill pop in to see you after I finish work. Won't be able to stay for long I need to catch up on my degree work that I have missed past couple of weeks (Ty) lol.

Rally fan 555 03 May 2011 08:55 AM

Thanks Dylan, I'd appreciate a trained ear to listen to it and also that you are busy Mate, at least then I can work out what to do next ;)

Cheers Dyl ;)

eggy790 03 May 2011 08:57 AM

bloody hell sorry to hear about that.. hasnt this car just had a rebuild too? thats my worse fear, just in process of rebuilding mine, hope i dont get any issues. :(

Rally fan 555 03 May 2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by eggy790 (Post 10019671)
bloody hell sorry to hear about that.. hasnt this car just had a rebuild too? thats my worse fear, just in process of rebuilding mine, hope i dont get any issues. :(

Cheers Fella, I hope your build goes well and trouble free for you :cool:

Yeah rebuilt not too long ago, done about 6,000 miles on the build so far, at the moment I don't know what's happened to it:wonder: could have been a progressive cooling problem - not sure I'll post up any findings ;)

P287 senior 03 May 2011 01:48 PM

Sorry for you Si but know the feeling only to well, ours just back from the doc again,It seems to be one thing after another, great cars but very expensive to keep, I think a woman is cheaper option. (Calv's dad)

mervil 03 May 2011 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by P287 senior (Post 10020073)
I think a woman is cheaper option. (Calv's dad)

:nono: no a chance! Getting an RCM 2.33 build would be by far the cheaper option ;)

Rally fan 555 03 May 2011 02:42 PM

Sorry for you Si but know the feeling only to well, ours just back from the doc again,It seems to be one thing after another, great cars but very expensive to keep, I think a woman is cheaper option. (Calv's dad)

Cheers for that, hope your Beast behaves itself from now on :thumb: Money pits they are :brickwall - Women could well work out cheaper as long as they don't want McDonalds and Burger King in the same evening !! Bit like Zo :lol1:

Originally Posted by mervil (Post 10020096)
:nono: no a chance! Getting an RCM 2.33 build would be by far the cheaper option ;)

And much more rewarding :norty:

The Trooper 1815 03 May 2011 03:02 PM

When they get to a certain age unless you spend money on both they go to rat sh*t :norty:. You could always get a newer model :D

KJD Mk1 03 May 2011 04:35 PM

:(

"Taylor" 03 May 2011 04:53 PM

:( Gutted to hear of your probs Si, keep us posted on what Dylan says.

ryan33hks 03 May 2011 08:23 PM

Not another one. Gutted for you Si

Rally fan 555 03 May 2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by KJD Mk1 (Post 10020296)
:(

Bloody right Kev :freak3:

Originally Posted by "Taylor" (Post 10020331)
:( Gutted to hear of your probs Si, keep us posted on what Dylan says.

I will and thanks Taylor :thumb:

Originally Posted by ryan33hks (Post 10020821)
Not another one. Gutted for you Si

Thanks Ry - I'm just waiting for the verdict after a Compression test and other checks Aaarrrgghhh :eek:

wrx287 03 May 2011 09:55 PM

Gutted Si:( Thats a bit of a kick in the nuts:freak3: Hope its a simple fix but does'nt sound like it:mad:

And it was me who dragged Zo to McD's and BK:D

Rally fan 555 04 May 2011 08:29 AM

Cheers Calv - My Nuts are killing Me !!! I was just starting to start the handling mod's on it too !! on the shelf now.

Good effort on the fast food front though mate ;) I remember back in the day when Me and the Mrs were "Steppin Oot" most of our time spent in Kentucky, Spud u Like and there was a spiffing Drive Through Burger place in Baglan, where Pinetree Car's are now - Groundbreaking that was LOL ;)

Cannon Fodder 04 May 2011 09:09 AM

The good old days of Burger Master, I remember the one in Carmarthen. :)

Rally fan 555 04 May 2011 09:26 AM

Yeah - that's the one - could eat for wales in those ;)

Cannon Fodder 04 May 2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555 (Post 10021616)
Yeah - that's the one - could eat for wales in those ;)

They had the best ever burgers far better than McD's or BK, I even liked their vege burgers. :D

Back in the day...

mervil 04 May 2011 07:34 PM

Any news Si?

Rally fan 555 04 May 2011 08:06 PM

None as yet Merv, thanks for asking............the Engine Pixie is on the case and is doing a Compression Test before we decide on the next course of action - maybe a trip to PixieLand...;)

Rally fan 555 05 May 2011 03:23 PM

High Flow Thermostat arrived today from Advanced Automotive, please arrange the following - Horse, Gate, After, Bolted and Closed ;)

ozzreid1964 06 May 2011 03:02 PM

sorry to hear this news si hope it's not too costly any update ?

Rally fan 555 06 May 2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ozzreid1964 (Post 10025544)
sorry to hear this news si hope it's not too costly any update ?

Thanks Ozz - I'm thinking the worst at the moment so that anything good will be a bonus !! No news as yet, the engine Pixie is hard pushed at the minute but will have a look and see what's wrong when he's time :cool: :notworthy

Nomad_72 07 May 2011 12:22 PM

Absolutely gutted for you Si. If I can help in any way just let me know.

Rally fan 555 07 May 2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad_72 (Post 10026987)
Absolutely gutted for you Si. If I can help in any way just let me know.

Cheers Mate ;) How's yours doing ? you get the Scoop on OK :wonder:

:thumb: