ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wales (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/)
-   -   SickBug.................... (https://www.scoobynet.com/wales-26/886902-sickbug.html)

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 07:28 PM

SickBug....................

Well, happily heading up the A465 this afternoon and the Bug starts to lose power then rattle :cry: No plumes of smoke from the zorst so thought that may be a good sign :brickwall, trundled about 1/2 mile to a parking area and on popping the bonnet, saw that the lower rad hose was off !!!! :cry:

The temprature gauge never rose over the 1/2 way mark, during this incident, which I thought was another good thing :brickwall

Refitted and refilled the car and on starting was met with a nice rattly rumbly sound track -:Suspiciou and a fair amount of blue smoke :nono:

Bugs now recovered to the "Cave" courtesy of the RAC, I either need a match or Merv - where you get your car cover from :wonder:

:freak3::cry::freak3::mad::mad::mad::freak3::cry:: freak3: :brickwall:confused::eek::rolleyes::razz::razz::ra zz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz ::razz: :cry:

The Trooper 1815 02 May 2011 07:37 PM

Is it the pesky thermostat problem causing havoc?

prodriverules 02 May 2011 07:47 PM

My lower radiator hose rubbed through only a couple of days back mate,only realised when the temp starting rising very rapidly and its done my HG's in:(
I really know where your coming from on this mate.

Cannon Fodder 02 May 2011 07:54 PM

I know how you feel Simon if it's of any comfort, did you replace/refit the thermostat?

At least it didn't overheat today but the blue/black smoke doesn't sound very good either, how is the oil level / consistency?

Let me know if I can help in anyway. :thumb:

The Trooper 1815 02 May 2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10018829)
I know how you feel Simon if it's of any comfort, did you replace/refit the thermostat?

At least it didn't overheat today but the blue/black smoke doesn't sound very good either, how is the oil level / consistency?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...70/Matches.jpg

DannyBoy007 02 May 2011 08:19 PM

Gutted, after all that hard work

mervil 02 May 2011 08:19 PM

Sorry to hear that mate :( cars are a pain in the arse! Apparently there's a texlst you can do with the thermostat, dip it into boiling water to see if it opens! Try it and see what happens!! I bought my cover from www.coveryourcar.co.uk expensive but worth it :)

redwards 02 May 2011 08:27 PM

Gutted for you Si, I hope the damage done isn't too extensive.

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 08:34 PM

Thermostat has been out for the last week, the car has been running nice and cool. Though have had a slight leak from the thermo housing, which I had been topping up every day (about a 500mls a day in the header tank I reckon).

The engine noise and blue smoke make me assume it's more than the cooling system now :cry:

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10018811)
My lower radiator hose rubbed through only a couple of days back mate,only realised when the temp starting rising very rapidly and its done my HG's in:(
I really know where your coming from on this mate.

Nightmare that :brickwall did you get any nasty engine noises or smoke :wonder: when they failed you.

Hope you get sorted soon ;)

prodriverules 02 May 2011 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555 (Post 10018996)
Nightmare that :brickwall did you get any nasty engine noises or smoke :wonder: when they failed you.

Hope you get sorted soon ;)

Thankfully not but I only fully forged the bottom end 2.3k miles ago so I suspect that helped it stand strong.
Mine is running hot when stood idling and rises if left,not to bad when going along with the air flow through the radiator but there's also bubbling in the overflow.
I think its just pipped the HG but obviously it will only get worse from now so she's getting parked for now as I don't have the time to pull the motor apart:(

Where does the rattle sound seem to come from on your engine mate?

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10018829)

Cheers Ty, as yet no thermo ordered and was running without one, no overheating and the oil looks good both level wise and no "mayo" under the filler cap :wonder:

Thanks for the offer of help too ;).

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815 (Post 10018875)

:lol: Your Guy's need any target practice ;)

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007 (Post 10018917)
Gutted, after all that hard work

Thanks for the sympathy Mate - bloody Car :brickwall

Originally Posted by mervil (Post 10018918)
Sorry to hear that mate :( cars are a pain in the arse! Apparently there's a texlst you can do with the thermostat, dip it into boiling water to see if it opens! Try it and see what happens!! I bought my cover from www.coveryourcar.co.uk expensive but worth it :)

Therm's been out a few day's now Merv I did put it ina pan of boiling water and it did open about 1cm - apparently it should open up to about 2.5cms :wonder: Cool cover there Merv :wonder: :thumb:

Originally Posted by redwards (Post 10018955)
Gutted for you Si, I hope the damage done isn't too extensive.

And Me Rich - you know how they can bite you though :brickwall

Cannon Fodder 02 May 2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555 (Post 10019024)
Cheers Ty, as yet no thermo ordered and was running without one, no overheating and the oil looks good both level wise and no "mayo" under the filler cap :wonder:

Thanks for the offer of help too ;).

Why I mentioned the oil is that does it seek dark/carbonated or 'burnt'?

The thermostat has a rubber seal around it so it would have leaked from the housing as metal to metal contact would not seal at all.

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10019019)
Thankfully not but I only fully forged the bottom end 2.3k miles ago so I suspect that helped it stand strong.
Mine is running hot when stood idling and rises if left,not to bad when going along with the air flow through the radiator but there's also bubbling in the overflow.
I think its just pipped the HG but obviously it will only get worse from now so she's getting parked for now as I don't have the time to pull the motor apart:(

Where does the rattle sound seem to come from on your engine mate?

I'm a bit crap at describing noises :freak3: seems to be at the top and not a bottom end noise, gets louder as you blip the throttle:freak3:

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10019069)
Why I mentioned the oil is that does it seek dark/carbonated or 'burnt'?

The thermostat has a rubber seal around it so it would have leaked from the housing as metal to metal contact would not seal at all.

The oil on the rag looks OK Ty, it is dark/not new looking but looks quite good.

prodriverules 02 May 2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rally fan 555 (Post 10019077)
I'm a bit crap at describing noises :freak3: seems to be at the top and not a bottom end noise, gets louder as you blip the throttle:freak3:

LOL,tbho if it gets worse with increasing the revs its usually not a good sign,is it there on idle like a hollow metallic knock?

mervil 02 May 2011 09:12 PM

If it's ok on Idle but then sounds like a loud creaking when you rev it then it'll be the same as mine :( as Ryan said about like metal knocking, sounds like two hammers hitting one another :wonder:

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by prodriverules (Post 10019095)
LOL,tbho if it gets worse with increasing the revs its usually not a good sign,is it there on idle like a hollow metallic knock?

Yeah there is and the engine is shaking quite badly, there also appears to be a "Futt Futt" noise from the inlet manifold area.

Sorry about the technical terms :lol1:

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mervil (Post 10019111)
If it's ok on Idle but then sounds like a loud creaking when you rev it then it'll be the same as mine :( as Ryan said about like metal knocking, sounds like two hammers hitting one another :wonder:

No it's nasty on idle and gets worse when blipped, metal knocking sounds right Merv :razz:

mervil 02 May 2011 09:20 PM

What's your oil level like?

redwards 02 May 2011 09:21 PM

If the engine is shaking badly then that is not good news, likely to be a misfire there (had the same when my valve went). The worse thing is that to find out properly what's going wrong you're likely going to have to split the block :(

Cannon Fodder 02 May 2011 09:22 PM

Sorry to say this but it sounds like your engine is fcuked big time, I hope I'm wrong and it's something easily repairable but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. :(

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by mervil (Post 10019144)
What's your oil level like?

Oil level is fine, just under the full line...

Originally Posted by redwards (Post 10019146)
If the engine is shaking badly then that is not good news, likely to be a misfire there (had the same when my valve went). The worse thing is that to find out properly what's going wrong you're likely going to have to split the block :(

It sounds like it's an Operation job Rich :brickwall

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 10019156)
Sorry to say this but it sounds like your engine is fcuked big time, I hope I'm wrong and it's something easily repairable but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. :(

I know, I'm hoping for the best Ty but is sounds too nasty to be anything simples :cuckoo:

R1CH D 02 May 2011 10:04 PM

Couldnt believe it when you text me si, hope its not terminal. :thumb:

notfub 02 May 2011 10:09 PM

Thinking aloud here but could it be.....

A failed coil pack, resulting in no spark in one of the cylinders? But would Simon see a check engine light if a coil pack failed?

Other thoughts I had relate to head gasket and pressurising the cooling system BUT no oil contamination so that's not it.

Si, hope it's something simple mate. I'm here if you need a lift anywhere mate :thumb:

Cannon Fodder 02 May 2011 10:12 PM

I can plug my laptop in if you want Simon to see for any stored faults if you want, but given your overheating problem recently I think you might have cooked your engine and today unluckily it finally let go. :(

Cannon Fodder 02 May 2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by notfub (Post 10019280)
Thinking aloud here but could it be.....

A failed coil pack, resulting in no spark in one of the cylinders? But would Simon see a check engine light if a coil pack failed?

Other thoughts I had relate to head gasket and pressurising the cooling system BUT no oil contamination so that's not it.

Si, hope it's something simple mate. I'm here if you need a lift anywhere mate :thumb:

Sorry Dean but I had head gasket / head bolt failure and there was no cross contamination - my exhaust gases were pressurising the coolant under boost.

Rally fan 555 02 May 2011 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by R1CH D (Post 10019268)
Couldnt believe it when you text me si, hope its not terminal. :thumb:

Ta Rich, gutted I am ;)