ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Xbox gone tits up... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/884681-xbox-gone-tits-up.html)

Bravo2zero_sps 17 April 2011 03:34 PM

Xbox gone tits up...

My original 360 (Premium with no hdmi port etc) has given up the ghost. It has 3 flashing lights and following the info on the web about pressing sync button and eject button 4 times to get the hidden error code I get 4144.

This appears to be:

0100 : 4144 Likely a cold solder join in GPU or Ram chips (see error 0102)

0102 : 4142 Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
Covered by MS 3 year warranty, DO NOT attempt to have this repaired if your console is still under this warranty period. If your console is still under your 1 warranty return it to the store where it was purchased, if it is under the 3 year warranty call MS to have it replaced or repaired.

So can this be fixed easily or is it time to bin it? (I can't solder for toffee by the way so not something I can DIY).

I've got another in the lounge, an arcade with hdmi so can still play xbox games so don't think i'll bother buying a new one just yet.

Ant 17 April 2011 05:36 PM

You can't actually solder it with a iron, you'd need a Reballing work station to heat up the solder and bond to it.

But instead of messing around just buy a new arcade model :lol1:

Jamescsti 17 April 2011 06:27 PM

Like Ant says buy a pre owned Arcade model and get a 12 month warranty by then we will probably all be talking about next gen consoles anyway, Nintendo have officially announced theirs is in development

boxst 28 April 2011 05:00 PM

You could try heating up the circuit board with a hairdryer.

Sounds odd, but worked on a laptop that had a faulty solder joint on the graphics chip ...

Steve

StickyMicky 29 April 2011 11:07 AM

You will likely get £40 on ebay for your broken one, just put it down as NR and a 99p start price (7 days)

Last two i have sold on eBay have went for that amount, then put it twoards a new model :)

Worth more if the seals are intact, because people think they can fix them for £3 with a cheap kit (and sometimes it works for a good while)

zs_phil 29 April 2011 11:14 AM

Do the towel trick and go trade it in for a new one ,they are quite cheap these days ,and if the towel trick works when they turn in on in the shop they will think its good to go

mart360 29 April 2011 11:19 AM

If its within the 3 yr warranty, send it back, its free:)

you can pick up a new elite 250GB for 150 now :)

Mart

zs_phil 29 April 2011 12:52 PM

Towel trick is on youtube and does work as a temp fix but like said my work mates broke and he got £40 from ebay too

chrispy200+ 29 April 2011 12:54 PM

I fixed one with a kit from eBay that had the three lights, as far as I know it's still going strong, took an hour and about a fiver

blackcountryboy 29 April 2011 12:58 PM

mate stick an x clamp kit in it, on ebay for under a fiver, easy to fit and if done right you will get another 12 months out of it. if you need any info on how to fit it or it doesnt fire up after putting the x clamp kit on dont panic drop me a pm i will guide you through it.

P1Drifter 30 April 2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by zs_phil (Post 10012730)
Towel trick is on youtube and does work as a temp fix but like said my work mates broke and he got £40 from ebay too

lol, of course it does, a hot towel is all you need to reflow solder :lol:

zs_phil 30 April 2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by P1Drifter (Post 10014964)
lol, of course it does, a hot towel is all you need to reflow solder :lol:

:Whatever_ well of course it works try it if you ever have a broken xbox as i have done this to my xbox 360 :cool:

Saint AAI 01 May 2011 06:45 AM

Reball is the only proper way to repair, may as well buy a new one. Anything else is temporary. If you still want to do a DIY job, I'd carefully reflow the board using a heat gun, replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, do the X clamp mod and replace the foam pad thingies on the backs of the RAM chips.

mart360 01 May 2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 10015742)
Lol I would if I knew what any of that meant and had the tools and skills to do it. Unfortunately I don't so an xclamp fix is probably the only way.

Search Youtube for xbox rrod fixes, there's loads on there

Just dont power up with anything disconnected, or connect to live ;)

thats what gets the banhammer running :D ...

Mart

blackcountryboy 01 May 2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 10015753)
Ban hammer for the xclamp fix? I'm not hacking it so how does it get you banned?

you wont get banned for x clamping it mate, you will only get banned if you re flash the firmware. A simple x clamp fix will get you going again:thumb:

Jamescsti 01 May 2011 08:34 PM

Never heard of anyone getting banned for xclamping

mart360 02 May 2011 04:01 PM

If you power the puppy up whilst x clamping, and have the wireless or ethernet connected, the system will report back to MS that the case is open... to MS open case is modded ....banhammer

Also if you get dvd drive connected the wrong way round and power up....
it gets reported back to MS....& Banhammer

One of the guys on my friends list, who i work with got a 30 day ban for opening his case to free off his sticking DVD drive .... He phoned to speak to them, and whilst they could see no firmware freakery had gone on, and they were satisfied all he had done was fix a sticking DVD tray they still banned him.... There stance is " only approved repairers, are authorised to open the case" lol

If you change the dvd for a replacement, and its not the same as the one tied to the console...Banhammer Change the size of the hard drive & get the drives firmware flash wrong .......Banhammer

You can do the X clamp mod yourself, just be aware that you get everything right before you go online :)

Mart

StickyMicky 03 May 2011 06:08 AM

No case sensors on any of the boxes i have opened.

The reason numpties get banned, is because they power up with the dvd drive disconnected.

blackcountryboy 03 May 2011 08:08 AM

i have been repairing games consoles for a living for over 3 years most of the above are just myths, you cant get banned for changing the hard drive or opening the case!!! the only way they can tell if the case has been opened is if you send it back for a repair and the warranty sticker is broken. if you change the drive 9 times out of 10 you use the board out of your old drive and put it into the new, thats if your changing like for like, if your changing for another type of drive ie ben q for a samsung the board wont fit and you must spoof the other drive in which means extracting the key from the old one and putting it in the new one otherwise the games will not play, yes doing this 18 months ago meant microsoft could find out you had done this by reading the firmware from the drive but if you use whats called LT+ firmware when microsoft reads the drive on an update it sends the information of the original stock drive back job done. So with this new software its now possible to play back up games and not get banned all you have to do is make sure all your games are stealth patched as that is the only way to be detected now. I have been playing online 7 days a week for 18 months with copy games and not had a bit of problem same goes for my son and most of my customers. As above there are no case sensors on the old or new xbox to tell them the case is open or been opened!!

Ant 03 May 2011 11:31 AM

They said this about ixtreme 1.4 , 1.5, 1.6, 1.61.

Like it or not they'll detect it eventually and ban them.

Best way is just have one dodgy box and one legit box.

There's only a few games worth playing online anyway.

SinghSuperStud 03 May 2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by blackcountryboy (Post 10019631)
i have been repairing games consoles for a living for over 3 years most of the above are just myths, you cant get banned for changing the hard drive or opening the case!!! the only way they can tell if the case has been opened is if you send it back for a repair and the warranty sticker is broken. if you change the drive 9 times out of 10 you use the board out of your old drive and put it into the new, thats if your changing like for like, if your changing for another type of drive ie ben q for a samsung the board wont fit and you must spoof the other drive in which means extracting the key from the old one and putting it in the new one otherwise the games will not play, yes doing this 18 months ago meant microsoft could find out you had done this by reading the firmware from the drive but if you use whats called LT+ firmware when microsoft reads the drive on an update it sends the information of the original stock drive back job done. So with this new software its now possible to play back up games and not get banned all you have to do is make sure all your games are stealth patched as that is the only way to be detected now. I have been playing online 7 days a week for 18 months with copy games and not had a bit of problem same goes for my son and most of my customers. As above there are no case sensors on the old or new xbox to tell them the case is open or been opened!!

any DIY pointers mate on the mod?

cheers

blackcountryboy 03 May 2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud (Post 10019867)
any DIY pointers mate on the mod?

cheers

mod? you mean flashing part?

blackcountryboy 03 May 2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10019864)
They said this about ixtreme 1.4 , 1.5, 1.6, 1.61.

Like it or not they'll detect it eventually and ban them.

Best way is just have one dodgy box and one legit box.

There's only a few games worth playing online anyway.

this is true but with those firmwares it was unpatched games that caught you out, now microsoft can read firmware on your drive but with LT+ it actually locks the drive so when microsoft try and read it it sends back to them what looks like the original firmware, very clever really, i dont know how they can come up with anything to catch you out. As i said at the minute the only way is dodgy games:thumb:

Anger 03 May 2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by chrispy200+ (Post 10012737)
I fixed one with a kit from eBay that had the three lights, as far as I know it's still going strong, took an hour and about a fiver

Yep its still working fine :)

StickyMicky 03 May 2011 07:34 PM

I love it when pikeys brag about pikey antics :lol1:

SinghSuperStud 04 May 2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by blackcountryboy (Post 10020013)
mod? you mean flashing part?

I've got the original Xbox 360 elite and haven't got a clue where to start - is there a DIY guide somewhere mate?
:thumb:

blackcountryboy 04 May 2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud (Post 10021621)
I've got the original Xbox 360 elite and haven't got a clue where to start - is there a DIY guide somewhere mate?
:thumb:

if you tell me exactly what you want done i will pm you a guide:thumb:

blackcountryboy 04 May 2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 10021693)
Erm can we not turn this thread into how to pirate games on an xbox?! I was asking for advice on how to fix my dead xbox not how to hack it.

as said before mate if you need help pm me:thumb:

robby 05 May 2011 08:34 PM

Have you tried the cotton buds trick?
Mine played up last week with the 3 rings and after seeing the cotton bud trick on youtube i thought i'd try it - it worked :)

take 2 cotton buds, remove cotton from end of each, stick buds into the fans on the back of the xbox to stop the fans from spinning, switch on xbox, wait 3-4 mins until 2 rings are still showing, switch off xbox until it's cooled down, switch on 5 mins later and it should be working

not sure how long this fix lasts but it's still working for mine

search youtube xbox cotton buds

robby 05 May 2011 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 10024572)
Lol no I haven't but will try it tomorrow. Got an xclamp on order off ebay so can try this whilst waiting for it to turn up.

i've just had an ebay fix delivered today, a pack of screws, washers and a syringe of something? looking at the instructions on youtube the whole xbox needs dismantling - don't fancy doing that so i'll see how long the cotton buds trick lasts :)