Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox gone tits up...

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2011, 05:36 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't actually solder it with a iron, you'd need a Reballing work station to heat up the solder and bond to it.

But instead of messing around just buy a new arcade model
Old 17 April 2011, 06:27 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Like Ant says buy a pre owned Arcade model and get a 12 month warranty by then we will probably all be talking about next gen consoles anyway, Nintendo have officially announced theirs is in development
Old 28 April 2011, 05:00 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

You could try heating up the circuit board with a hairdryer.

Sounds odd, but worked on a laptop that had a faulty solder joint on the graphics chip ...

Steve
Old 29 April 2011, 11:07 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

You will likely get £40 on ebay for your broken one, just put it down as NR and a 99p start price (7 days)

Last two i have sold on eBay have went for that amount, then put it twoards a new model

Worth more if the seals are intact, because people think they can fix them for £3 with a cheap kit (and sometimes it works for a good while)

Last edited by StickyMicky; 29 April 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 29 April 2011, 11:14 AM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Do the towel trick and go trade it in for a new one ,they are quite cheap these days ,and if the towel trick works when they turn in on in the shop they will think its good to go
Old 29 April 2011, 11:19 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If its within the 3 yr warranty, send it back, its free

you can pick up a new elite 250GB for 150 now

Mart
Old 29 April 2011, 12:52 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Towel trick is on youtube and does work as a temp fix but like said my work mates broke and he got £40 from ebay too
Old 29 April 2011, 12:54 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

I fixed one with a kit from eBay that had the three lights, as far as I know it's still going strong, took an hour and about a fiver
Old 29 April 2011, 12:58 PM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

mate stick an x clamp kit in it, on ebay for under a fiver, easy to fit and if done right you will get another 12 months out of it. if you need any info on how to fit it or it doesnt fire up after putting the x clamp kit on dont panic drop me a pm i will guide you through it.
Old 30 April 2011, 06:26 PM
P1Drifter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zs_phil
Towel trick is on youtube and does work as a temp fix but like said my work mates broke and he got £40 from ebay too
lol, of course it does, a hot towel is all you need to reflow solder
Old 30 April 2011, 06:44 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Drifter
lol, of course it does, a hot towel is all you need to reflow solder
well of course it works try it if you ever have a broken xbox as i have done this to my xbox 360
Old 01 May 2011, 06:45 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Reball is the only proper way to repair, may as well buy a new one. Anything else is temporary. If you still want to do a DIY job, I'd carefully reflow the board using a heat gun, replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, do the X clamp mod and replace the foam pad thingies on the backs of the RAM chips.
Old 01 May 2011, 07:58 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Lol I would if I knew what any of that meant and had the tools and skills to do it. Unfortunately I don't so an xclamp fix is probably the only way.
Search Youtube for xbox rrod fixes, there's loads on there

Just dont power up with anything disconnected, or connect to live

thats what gets the banhammer running ...

Mart
Old 01 May 2011, 08:34 AM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

Ban hammer for the xclamp fix? I'm not hacking it so how does it get you banned?
you wont get banned for x clamping it mate, you will only get banned if you re flash the firmware. A simple x clamp fix will get you going again
Old 01 May 2011, 08:34 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Never heard of anyone getting banned for xclamping
Old 02 May 2011, 04:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If you power the puppy up whilst x clamping, and have the wireless or ethernet connected, the system will report back to MS that the case is open... to MS open case is modded ....banhammer

Also if you get dvd drive connected the wrong way round and power up....
it gets reported back to MS....& Banhammer

One of the guys on my friends list, who i work with got a 30 day ban for opening his case to free off his sticking DVD drive .... He phoned to speak to them, and whilst they could see no firmware freakery had gone on, and they were satisfied all he had done was fix a sticking DVD tray they still banned him.... There stance is " only approved repairers, are authorised to open the case" lol

If you change the dvd for a replacement, and its not the same as the one tied to the console...Banhammer Change the size of the hard drive & get the drives firmware flash wrong .......Banhammer

You can do the X clamp mod yourself, just be aware that you get everything right before you go online

Mart
Old 03 May 2011, 06:08 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

No case sensors on any of the boxes i have opened.

The reason numpties get banned, is because they power up with the dvd drive disconnected.
Old 03 May 2011, 08:08 AM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

i have been repairing games consoles for a living for over 3 years most of the above are just myths, you cant get banned for changing the hard drive or opening the case!!! the only way they can tell if the case has been opened is if you send it back for a repair and the warranty sticker is broken. if you change the drive 9 times out of 10 you use the board out of your old drive and put it into the new, thats if your changing like for like, if your changing for another type of drive ie ben q for a samsung the board wont fit and you must spoof the other drive in which means extracting the key from the old one and putting it in the new one otherwise the games will not play, yes doing this 18 months ago meant microsoft could find out you had done this by reading the firmware from the drive but if you use whats called LT+ firmware when microsoft reads the drive on an update it sends the information of the original stock drive back job done. So with this new software its now possible to play back up games and not get banned all you have to do is make sure all your games are stealth patched as that is the only way to be detected now. I have been playing online 7 days a week for 18 months with copy games and not had a bit of problem same goes for my son and most of my customers. As above there are no case sensors on the old or new xbox to tell them the case is open or been opened!!
Old 03 May 2011, 11:31 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

They said this about ixtreme 1.4 , 1.5, 1.6, 1.61.

Like it or not they'll detect it eventually and ban them.

Best way is just have one dodgy box and one legit box.

There's only a few games worth playing online anyway.
Old 03 May 2011, 11:32 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackcountryboy
i have been repairing games consoles for a living for over 3 years most of the above are just myths, you cant get banned for changing the hard drive or opening the case!!! the only way they can tell if the case has been opened is if you send it back for a repair and the warranty sticker is broken. if you change the drive 9 times out of 10 you use the board out of your old drive and put it into the new, thats if your changing like for like, if your changing for another type of drive ie ben q for a samsung the board wont fit and you must spoof the other drive in which means extracting the key from the old one and putting it in the new one otherwise the games will not play, yes doing this 18 months ago meant microsoft could find out you had done this by reading the firmware from the drive but if you use whats called LT+ firmware when microsoft reads the drive on an update it sends the information of the original stock drive back job done. So with this new software its now possible to play back up games and not get banned all you have to do is make sure all your games are stealth patched as that is the only way to be detected now. I have been playing online 7 days a week for 18 months with copy games and not had a bit of problem same goes for my son and most of my customers. As above there are no case sensors on the old or new xbox to tell them the case is open or been opened!!
any DIY pointers mate on the mod?

cheers
Old 03 May 2011, 01:05 PM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
any DIY pointers mate on the mod?

cheers
mod? you mean flashing part?
Old 03 May 2011, 01:12 PM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
They said this about ixtreme 1.4 , 1.5, 1.6, 1.61.

Like it or not they'll detect it eventually and ban them.

Best way is just have one dodgy box and one legit box.

There's only a few games worth playing online anyway.
this is true but with those firmwares it was unpatched games that caught you out, now microsoft can read firmware on your drive but with LT+ it actually locks the drive so when microsoft try and read it it sends back to them what looks like the original firmware, very clever really, i dont know how they can come up with anything to catch you out. As i said at the minute the only way is dodgy games
Old 03 May 2011, 01:44 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy200+
I fixed one with a kit from eBay that had the three lights, as far as I know it's still going strong, took an hour and about a fiver
Yep its still working fine

Last edited by Anger; 03 May 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03 May 2011, 07:34 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I love it when pikeys brag about pikey antics
Old 04 May 2011, 09:30 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackcountryboy
mod? you mean flashing part?
I've got the original Xbox 360 elite and haven't got a clue where to start - is there a DIY guide somewhere mate?
Old 04 May 2011, 09:51 AM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SinghSuperStud
I've got the original Xbox 360 elite and haven't got a clue where to start - is there a DIY guide somewhere mate?
if you tell me exactly what you want done i will pm you a guide
Old 04 May 2011, 11:32 AM
blackcountryboy
Scooby Regular

Erm can we not turn this thread into how to pirate games on an xbox?! I was asking for advice on how to fix my dead xbox not how to hack it.
as said before mate if you need help pm me
Old 05 May 2011, 08:34 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried the cotton buds trick?
Mine played up last week with the 3 rings and after seeing the cotton bud trick on youtube i thought i'd try it - it worked

take 2 cotton buds, remove cotton from end of each, stick buds into the fans on the back of the xbox to stop the fans from spinning, switch on xbox, wait 3-4 mins until 2 rings are still showing, switch off xbox until it's cooled down, switch on 5 mins later and it should be working

not sure how long this fix lasts but it's still working for mine

search youtube xbox cotton buds
Old 05 May 2011, 10:21 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol no I haven't but will try it tomorrow. Got an xclamp on order off ebay so can try this whilst waiting for it to turn up.
i've just had an ebay fix delivered today, a pack of screws, washers and a syringe of something? looking at the instructions on youtube the whole xbox needs dismantling - don't fancy doing that so i'll see how long the cotton buds trick lasts

Quick Reply: Xbox gone tits up...