ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Emails & Text Messages (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/882294-emails-and-text-messages.html)

SwissTony 31 March 2011 09:59 PM

Emails & Text Messages

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that increasing
numbers of people who send text messages and emails,
have forgotten the "art" of capitalization.

Those of you who fall into this world, please take note of the statement below. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use correct grammar and punctuation.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Is everybody clear on that?

:D

jods 31 March 2011 10:02 PM

PMSL

Blue by You 31 March 2011 10:06 PM

Quality :lol:

oldsplice 31 March 2011 10:15 PM

:lol1:

Terminator X 31 March 2011 10:26 PM

Superb! The English language is dying though :(

TX.

Camoscooby 31 March 2011 10:27 PM

i dnt c wat ur prob is wiv txt spk swiss

oldsplice 31 March 2011 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9964845)
Superb! The English language is dying though :(

TX.

Sadly. :(

Although I don't even use txt spk when texting. I have to type it out properly. And people don't know how to write with a pen anymore. I was thinking about it the other day, and wondering if a time will come, when they don't even bother teaching people to write anymore.

hutton_d 01 April 2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by oldsplice (Post 9964854)

Although I don't even use txt spk when texting. I have to type it out properly. And people don't know how to write with a pen anymore. I was thinking about it the other day, and wondering if a time will come, when they don't even bother teaching people to write anymore.

Me neither. It has to be spelt correctly and all the punctuation there. Don't write with a pen much though as my handwriting is cr*p, as the teachers started to tell me when I was about 8. It did get a lot better then I had an accident that partially severed a couple of nerves in my right hand. Got cr*p again and still is. keyboards don't help. Now, if only we could use a pen to post on SN ..... :Suspiciou

Oh, and Swiss, I'd stay away from any Uncles with an equestrian bent if I was you .... :eek:

Dave

scubbay 01 April 2011 08:10 AM

we must have the same uncle.

jonc 01 April 2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SwissTony (Post 9964805)
In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that increasing
numbers of people who send text messages and emails,
have forgotten the "art" of capitalization.

Those of you who fall into this world, please take note of the statement below. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use correct grammar and punctuation.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Is everybody clear on that?

:D

And another is the increasing adoption of American spelling in the English language!!!

SwissTony 01 April 2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 9965175)
And another is the increasing adoption of American spelling in the English language!!!

Bloody US keyboard :lol1:

oldsplice 01 April 2011 09:07 AM

Yeah, feckers! :mad:

windyboy 01 April 2011 10:53 AM

my sister would text me and after I had deciphered it I would reply with just a string of vowels and punctuations and tell her to use them in her next text, she also does it when typing on facebook etc !!!

windyboy

Terminator X 01 April 2011 12:03 PM

You can use "z" or "s", doesn't make it American spelling.

TX.

hutton_d 01 April 2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9965416)
You can use "z" or "s", doesn't make it American spelling. ...

This would appear to offer a different opinion .... http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/English...capitalization ...

Dave

Terminator X 01 April 2011 12:27 PM

Not even going to read it :razz: "z" is American (as in they only use "z") but "z" or "s" is English (as in we can use both).

TX.

Kieran_Burns 01 April 2011 12:37 PM

I always call Americans lazy spellers as they seem to randomly miss letters out of words.

Do you think they ration the letter 'u'?

(edited to add: )

and the amount of dopey Americans who spell laser 'lazer' :cuckoo:

pigSTi 01 April 2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9965464)
Not even going to read it :razz: "z" is American (as in they only use "z") but "z" or "s" is English (as in we can use both).

TX.

It's not "z" in America ffs - it's ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I agree with the above sentiments regarding "txt" speak and the decline in the correct use of the English language. It really pi$$es me orf!!

I cannot bring myself to this day to use such abbreviations and my fingers insist in tapping out the whole words. It makes people look thick as two short planks imo. Retarded a little. And it's just plain rude.

Ian 01 April 2011 02:11 PM

sickipedia app on the iphone by any chance?

:)

SwissTony 01 April 2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by DaOne (Post 9965609)
sickipedia app on the iphone by any chance?

:)

Nope :)

joz8968 01 April 2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldsplice (Post 9964854)

+1 on all counts.

I 'love' (trying) to use correct spelling/grammar/punctuation at all times. Okay, I do use the odd dodgy looking/sounding abb. (<<< lol) from time to time, but nothing ever as s***e as feckin' txt spk!!! :brickwall Plus I've been 'sucked in' to using bloody "lol" a lot, of late. :rolleyes:

Putting the grammar-based effort in helps with 'keeping your hand in', so that you'll never lose it. (My handwriting 'style' sucks the big one, though :().

mickywrx 01 April 2011 08:50 PM

If, I receive text messages that are in "txt spk" I tend to not bother my arse to try and decipher them.

I'm too old for all that illiterate crap.

oldsplice 01 April 2011 08:52 PM

Same here. Really can't be arsed. So chavvy! :mad:

Leslie 02 April 2011 10:45 AM

As I understand it, although it can be spelled with "s" or "z", the accepted English way is with "s" while the American method is always with "z"

English is being denigrated with the use of made up words probably thought up by some smartarse or another and unfortunately people are quick to seize on the use of such words.

As a couple of examples. "issues" always used to be called more correctly "problems" and "proven" which is an ancient Scottish legal term has been substituted for "proved".

Les

Terminator X 02 April 2011 10:58 AM

Well the Oxford dictionary only recognises "realize" rather than "realise":

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/e...m_en_gb0690240

Ditto "summarize" etc.

TX.