ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   276,280 or 300bhp? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/879020-276-280-or-300bhp.html)

Paul Hutch 09 March 2011 09:41 PM

276,280 or 300bhp?

As above what are type r's standard? Iv read loads of different articles that give these readings but which one is correct?

Cheers Hutch

prodriverules 09 March 2011 09:45 PM

276 i believe mate but many just round it up to 280.

Paul Hutch 09 March 2011 09:46 PM

So what's this 300 before the "gentlemens agreement" all about

scooby-tc 09 March 2011 09:48 PM

280ps = 276bhp ;)

Paul Hutch 09 March 2011 09:51 PM

276 it is then!!

Trinity 09 March 2011 09:52 PM

In 1999 all major Japanese manufactures had a gentlemen’s agreement to de-tune or maximise the bhp output to 280bhp for European and US car models.

This has been the case in many of the previous car models that were built for and purchased within the UK or European region. Cars include the Skyline, Impreza, Evolution, 350z etc. However a alternative way round these limitations are aftermarket tuning suppliers that work hand in hand with the manufacturers to overcome the 280bhp limit. For example Nissan use NISMO, Subaru use Prodrive and Mitsubishi use RALLIART. All offer tuning services to de limit the power. In most cases, a re-chipping and new exhaust is all that’s required to restore the proposed power for the car.

Its also worth a note that the majority of these 'detuned' cars exceeded their on paper bhp figures when rolling roaded...Ive seen a factory Skyline R33 put out 366bhp when on paper, 280 was the horsepower...My old Type R put out 330 but that was a Jap motor

Paul Hutch 09 March 2011 10:02 PM

good stuff Trinity

99greenwagon 09 March 2011 10:09 PM

had my completely standard sti type r mapped a few weeks back....267bhp,lost 9 bhp over 13 years.
just to clarify they are 276 bhp as standard(when new).

beastgtir 10 March 2011 03:46 AM

are the v ltd 312 bhp or is that just a rumour/myth?

bigsinky 10 March 2011 07:04 AM

were the v5 and v6 sti ltd not 300ps? where is tony when you nedd him ;)

TonyBurns 10 March 2011 08:38 AM

They were 276bhp, not seen a stock one push more than 290 bhp on the rollers :)

Tony:)

DazW 10 March 2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 9925725)
In 1999 all major Japanese manufactures had a gentlemen’s agreement to de-tune or maximise the bhp output to 280bhp for European and US car models.

This has been the case in many of the previous car models that were built for and purchased within the UK or European region. Cars include the Skyline, Impreza, Evolution, 350z etc. However a alternative way round these limitations are aftermarket tuning suppliers that work hand in hand with the manufacturers to overcome the 280bhp limit. For example Nissan use NISMO, Subaru use Prodrive and Mitsubishi use RALLIART. All offer tuning services to de limit the power. In most cases, a re-chipping and new exhaust is all that’s required to restore the proposed power for the car.

Its also worth a note that the majority of these 'detuned' cars exceeded their on paper bhp figures when rolling roaded...Ive seen a factory Skyline R33 put out 366bhp when on paper, 280 was the horsepower...My old Type R put out 330 but that was a Jap motor

Isn't that the wrong way round? JDM's are limited to 280ps (& 180 kph) ...everywhere else unrestricted? hence why UK spec Supra's/ 3000 GT's were officially 326bhp & 300bhp respectivley

IMHO the 300bhp+ is a bit of a myth, firstly because car reviewers would say they 'felt' quicker than the quoted 276 (probably down to torque more than anything else) ...& RR figures, which should be taken with a 'pinch of salt' due to the way transmission loss is factored in

Trinity 10 March 2011 09:46 AM

Well I did originally think the same as you Daz, I thought it was the kph limit in Japan, and the agreement was struck so that all cars ran 'equally and legally' and relied more on there design and build to be the 'faster' car...yet I did some research last night and above was what a few sources said...hmmm just had a chat with my Japanese Karate sensei who was a bit of a boy racer in his day (loves my Scoobarus!) and he remembers this being the case. So my research may of been wrong, should of stuck to what I already knew!

Im with you on the myth, but even with transmission loss some Skylines were getting 350 in standard 'guise. However all engines power outputs will vary, from a Golf to a Clio, and the Japs did build these cars for pure performance so I imagine there will be some higher figures than the standard, agreed, bhp?

DazW 10 March 2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Trinity (Post 9926182)
Well I did originally think the same as you Daz, I thought it was the kph limit in Japan, and the agreement was struck so that all cars ran 'equally and legally' and relied more on there design and build to be the 'faster' car...yet I did some research last night and above was what a few sources said...hmmm just had a chat with my Japanese Karate sensei who was a bit of a boy racer in his day (loves my Scoobarus!) and he remembers this being the case. So my research may of been wrong, should of stuck to what I already knew!

Im with you on the myth, but even with transmission loss some Skylines were getting 350 in standard 'guise. However all engines power outputs will vary, from a Golf to a Clio, and the Japs did build these cars for pure performance so I imagine there will be some higher figures than the standard, agreed, bhp?

I'm not sure with Skylines ...as iirc the only 'officially' imported ones were the R34, bought in by Middlehurst ...which again iirc had their ecu's tweeked (along with an extra oil cooler?)

Brun 10 March 2011 12:14 PM

just to clarify they are 276 bhp as standard(when new).
.....on Jap fuel!

Gear Head 10 March 2011 12:31 PM

My old sti 4 got 293bhp on the rollers with an aftermarket backbox and a blowing mid section!
Doesn't really matter though does it. With just an decat exhaust system, the cars will be churning out 300bhp with ease.

99greenwagon 10 March 2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brun (Post 9926381)
.....on Jap fuel!

good comment!:thumb:

gpssti4 10 March 2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 9926138)
They were 276bhp, not seen a stock one push more than 290 bhp on the rollers :)

Tony:)

Yep, mine, when standard made 289.6bhp :cry: - according to G-Force in Aylesbury 6 years ago!

Can I round that up to 290bhp? :lol1: